AKG's New Flagship IEM - N5005
Jul 16, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #616 of 1,544
Although it's an amazing DAP, and one (if not the only) DAP that's affordable and has a very quick, responsive UI comparable to a modern smartphone, I would wait until the WiFi connection issues with it are 100% sorted out. I believe this is a hardware issue.

The Tidal app on the R6 also has had issues with constant buffering, and HiBy's Joe Bloggs has admitted that there are issues but HiBy and the Tidal team haven't figured out the problem.

I sold my initial R6 unit that I acquired from the Indiegogo Campaign before I even opened the box because I had pretty much bought it to use for Tidal HiFi streaming.

Curiosity got the better of me though, and I purchased another one. :p Unfortunately, it had the same issues with WiFi, though the software did improve just a bit (but not nearly enough) with the one firmware update that HiBy has provided so far.

I'm using the DX200 and IMO it's a good pairing with the N5005's. And you have the option to swap out the amp modules.

IME the N5005 are a bit harder to drive compared to most IEMs, so it's important to have a decently powered amp section in whatever DAP you choose. As a reference, the N5005 pair nicely and are easily powered by my older DX90 as well.

Ultimately, your choice will come down to your personal preferences in both Sound Signature and the DAP's UI and feature set. As you mentioned, I don't think there is a "perfect" DAP. Each one has its unique strengths & weaknesses, quirks & oddities.

Good luck.
Thanks for the help. It's a tough choice, but really appreciate the heads up on the Hiby issues. Maybe I'll hold fire for now. I've got an Oppo HA-2 that I can pair with my phone for the time being. Just not sure if there's anything worth waiting for on the horizon.....

Jul 16, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #617 of 1,544
Thanks for the help. It's a tough choice, but really appreciate the heads up on the Hiby issues. Maybe I'll hold fire for now. I've got an Oppo HA-2 that I can pair with my phone for the time being. Just not sure if there's anything worth waiting for on the horizon.....

I see you are in London. If it helps amp3 will be getting the R6 in at the end of the month. If you can wait that long you could order one from there and return it if there is any problem. I can also attest to having the R6 wifi problems (mine wouldn't even make it through a small download from the app store without disconnecting!) but have had mine swopped out for a new one which I should be getting this week.

Jul 16, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #618 of 1,544
Many thanks for posting your experience with the Snugs (that almost sounds comical, LOL).

But Seriously...Thanks! Nicely organized and described.

I might have to spring for these as IMO the N5005 are truly excellent IEMs, but I just haven't been able to achieve a satisfactory combination of comfort, seal, and SQ with any of the universal type ear tips that I've tried, which is quite a few.

I'm not sure how the process will go being as I'm in the States, but I'm willing to give it a go.

One question: What set of Filters are you using on the N5005 with the Snugs? Have you tried all of the different filters?

TIA

Naivesound mentioned Perfect Seal do Custom tips and they are based in the states. Might be worth giving them a shout? Also you could contact Naivesound on here and ask for his opinions (he had them done for Empire Ear models as I recall).

Jul 16, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #619 of 1,544
I see you are in London. If it helps amp3 will be getting the R6 in at the end of the month. If you can wait that long you could order one from there and return it if there is any problem. I can also attest to having the R6 wifi problems (mine wouldn't even make it through a small download from the app store without disconnecting!) but have had mine swopped out for a new one which I should be getting this week.
Good shout, thank for the info. It's a good idea to be able to try it out and see how it performs.

Jul 18, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #620 of 1,544
just received the sony tips today, these sound excellent, but it's an awkward fit on the nozzle, you really have to adjust them when you put them on there the first time so they're not lobsided.. another pleasant surprise is that they appear to have solved the pressure point I get with the spinfits! so I switchedto the sony tips bbfoto suggested a while back for the time being, let's see how these play out in the long run - sound is excellent and a small improvement over the spinfits, although this might be a placebo : ) will give an update on this in a few weeks

Jul 19, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #622 of 1,544
WOW, they work wonders on the N5005 20180719_113052.jpg

Jul 19, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #623 of 1,544
The tips that came with the monster turbine pros fit and give comfort and great seal....

WOW, they work wonders on the N5005.

Yeah, when you find the right tips to fit your ears, and that also provide a balanced FR, the N5005's really shine! I would think that they pair very nicely with your ALO amp as well???

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #624 of 1,544
Yes, CDM pairs great with the N5005. The N5005 need lots of power. The k3003i I was able to plug in go with my note8, not with N5005. Even the n40 need lots of power to sound sonically full. The Mojo to me is a perfect little pairing. I just recieved the N5005 today and been listening for hours. So fare I like what I hear!

Jul 19, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #627 of 1,544
TX-500s worked out really well, thanks everyone for the recommendation :) But for me, needing to replace eartips every 3-4 weeks is a great no-no.

So I started playing around with other eartips and it just happened that my andromedas were on my table. So I took out the silicon tips that came with my Andromedas and HALLELUJAH! Holy shoot the seal is amazing and the n5005s are now making love with my ears :D

Jul 21, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #628 of 1,544
The Bluetooth cable works good but don't get load enough, is there a way to boost volume?

There's no problem with the volume level for me when using the BT adapter. They get much louder than needed for me, on the threshold of uncomfortable listening levels.

I think you are using iPhone as your source which uses the AAC Codecs for BT transmission, is that right?

I'm using Android devices with Apt-X BT codec. Some Android devices have a "safe volume" limiter built-in, and you must click or tap "OK" to raise the volume beyond that safe level.

I haven't used an iPhone in years so I'm not sure if there is a similar type of volume limiter in the settings?

Have you tried a different source device?

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #629 of 1,544
TX-500s worked out really well, thanks everyone for the recommendation :) But for me, needing to replace eartips every 3-4 weeks is a great no-no.

So I started playing around with other eartips and it just happened that my andromedas were on my table. So I took out the silicon tips that came with my Andromedas and HALLELUJAH! Holy shoot the seal is amazing and the n5005s are now making love with my ears :D
Hi, how would you compare the sound signature to Andromeda?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back