AKG's New Flagship IEM - N5005
Aug 15, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #646 of 1,539
If using the 5005 with a hugo 2 does the volume control on the 3.5mm cable become redundant or can i switch off any control from cable so it doesn't interfere with hugo 2 control?

Also whats's the transparency on these compared to xelento, westone w60 etc. many thanks.

Aug 15, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #647 of 1,539
If using the 5005 with a hugo 2 does the volume control on the 3.5mm cable become redundant or can i switch off any control from cable so it doesn't interfere with hugo 2 control?

Also whats's the transparency on these compared to xelento, westone w60 etc. many thanks.

You can't switch off or disable the in-line controls on the SE cable, you can just switch between Android or iOS modes of operation. The included Balanced Cable does not have any in-line controls. And IMO the in-line controls on the SE Cable are way too close to the Left IEM earpiece, or too high up on the cable. For me it rests just at the bottom of my chin or jaw. I'd personally like for the controls to be 2"-4" lower on the cable (closer to the 3.5mm miniplug).

Unfortunately I can't speak to any comparisons with the IEMs that you mentioned above, but IMPO the "transparency" of the N5005 are EXCELLENT when you find the right pair of ear tips that give you a balanced FR that comes close to matching the AKG/JBL/Harmon target curve.

I'm a drummer & saxophonist and have a home studio using both the Neumann KH120 and ATC SCM25A studio monitors, and the N5005 compare favorably to matching the transparency and detail of those top shelf studio monitors (again, when you find the correct ear tip/IEM Filter combination for your ears).

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #648 of 1,539
I have ordered a 3.5mm SE cable (Vermillion) from Beat Audio just to have a cable without the annoying inline control. I'll report on how it is once received. Would be great if AKG offer one since I think the cables they included with N5005 are top notch as far as quality and aesthetics go.

Aug 16, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #649 of 1,539
Can someone comment on how the N5005 sounds compared to the K3003? Is it a worthwhile upgrade or not so?

I listened to the N5005 briefly at a store through a DAP and music unknown to me, so can't really judge.

Aug 16, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #650 of 1,539
^
I don't have K3003 but I know it's been discussed here quite bit. I did a search for you and perhaps the info you seek is contained herein.

Aug 19, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #651 of 1,539
Can someone comment on how the N5005 sounds compared to the K3003? Is it a worthwhile upgrade or not so?

I listened to the N5005 briefly at a store through a DAP and music unknown to me, so can't really judge.

The N5005 is for me better in all aspects than the K3003.

Keeps a similar soundstage but is more detailed in the highs. The mids are very smooth. The bass is more refined that the K3003 which at times could feel a bit ‘off’ compared to the rest off the sound.
One thing I’ve really noticed with the N5005 is that they are full of energy if the track requires it. I’ve got some tracks where it feels like they are attacking it with gusto. It’s an excellent attribute of these earphones.

Aug 21, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #652 of 1,539
So this arrived unexpectedly today. Ordered Beat Audio Lab Vermilion cable with N5005 specific connectors and 3.5mm SE plug. Took two weeks to arrive and not a peep from Beat Audio since order was placed.

IMG_0994.JPG
^
Nice box!
IMG_0997.JPG
^
Origami-wish

IMG_0999.JPG
^
Whoa!

IMG_1002.JPG
^
The connectors fit perfectly which is pass number 1. Pass number 2 is the aesthetics & microphonics. The cable is actually very similar in texture to the stock AKG cable though not as supple. I don't know if it's the N5005 but the output through the ZX300 SE is much lower than using balanced. I don't normally use 3.5 with the ZX so it was time to try another DAP.

IMG_1004.JPG
^
Eureka! The N5005/Vermilion combo shines with the AR-M2. Audio output is exceptional and I can now enjoy this AKG 3.5mm setup as intended without an annoying mic controller dangling in between. Pass number 3.

Overall, so far with about 1 hour of use, I am beyond pleased with this Beat Audio Lab cable. Price threw me off at first but as long as I don't think about that aspect I'm good. I'll likely order more sets (want to try different models) when finances allow such indulgences.

Aug 27, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #653 of 1,539
I'm looking into some lightweight DAPs like the M0 and AP80, maximum size would be something along Hiby R3. Can anyone comment on how they drive the N5005 in terms of volume?

I have the V20 and putting it into AUX mode drives the N5005 well enough, could be a bit louder but it's sufficient for me.
I wonder if the M0 or AP80 can drive the N5005 about as loud as the V20 in low gain mode, if they'd be even lower than that I'd probably scratch this whole idea..

by the way, if you know of of any other lightweight DAPs feel free to suggest them : )

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 4:28 AM Post #654 of 1,539
I'm looking into some lightweight DAPs like the M0 and AP80, maximum size would be something along Hiby R3. Can anyone comment on how they drive the N5005 in terms of volume?

I have the V20 and putting it into AUX mode drives the N5005 well enough, could be a bit louder but it's sufficient for me.
I wonder if the M0 or AP80 can drive the N5005 about as loud as the V20 in low gain mode, if they'd be even lower than that I'd probably scratch this whole idea..

by the way, if you know of of any other lightweight DAPs feel free to suggest them : )

I have just bought the Astell & Kern SR15 and use with the N5005 and the sound is really very good indeed. I used 3.5 initially and the reference filters were great, but have now switched to 2,5 balanced with the bass filters which gives great results. The SR15 surprised me with how small it is and I'm very pleased with the pairing.

Aug 30, 2018 at 5:24 AM Post #655 of 1,539
I have just bought the Astell & Kern SR15 and use with the N5005 and the sound is really very good indeed. I used 3.5 initially and the reference filters were great, but have now switched to 2,5 balanced with the bass filters which gives great results. The SR15 surprised me with how small it is and I'm very pleased with the pairing.

would love to hear how it sounds, never had an A&K device before.. but since I'm getting a DX200 and the LG G7 shortly all I need now is a really tiny DAP for convenience reasons : ) would be awesome if A&K released a DAP the size of the shanling m0, I'd probably buy that straight away

Aug 30, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #656 of 1,539
would love to hear how it sounds, never had an A&K device before.. but since I'm getting a DX200 and the LG G7 shortly all I need now is a really tiny DAP for convenience reasons : ) would be awesome if A&K released a DAP the size of the shanling m0, I'd probably buy that straight away

Highly recommend the shanling M0, so versatile and it sounds great. I picked one up at canjam London and have consistently used it ever since. Love it.

Aug 30, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #657 of 1,539
Highly recommend the shanling M0, so versatile and it sounds great. I picked one up at canjam London and have consistently used it ever since. Love it.

I am thinking about buying either the M0 or the Hidizs AP80, but I'm worried the volume on them might be too low with the N5005..

Aug 30, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #658 of 1,539
I have the Shanling M3s. It's perfect (sounds amazing) with N5005 (especially with the balanced cable). Actually, it sounds great with the balanced, regular or Bluetooth cables.

Aug 30, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #659 of 1,539
I have the Shanling M3s. It's perfect (sounds amazing) with N5005 (especially with the balanced cable). Actually, it sounds great with the balanced, regular or Bluetooth cables.

do you maybe have an LG V10/20/30/35 to compare the volume in low gain mode with the volume on the M3?
I like to listen to music pretty loud every now and then, so loud that it's probably not too healthy, but hey.. to each his own ^^ then again "loud" is subjective, my loud might be somebody elses not loud enough.
for me personally volume is a pretty important factor when choosing a DAP, and the N5005 isnt the easiest to drive as we all know by now : )

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #660 of 1,539

Users who are viewing this thread

Back