AKG's New Flagship IEM - N5005
Jul 13, 2018 at 3:40 AM Post #601 of 1,544
question to owners of the N5005, is anyone else experiencing a certain portion of the shell pressing against their ear sometimes? I notice it especially when I move my jaw a lot like for instance when I'm eating with the N5005 still on, there's like a certain spot on my ear where a bit of pressure will build up, it's always the same spot and it's a bit uncomfortable.. if I change the angle or rotate them in my ear if pretty much goes away but it's starting to annoy me a bit, I marked the area where it happens with a red circle - it's not the outer most part of the ear that is visible on the picture though, its the inner part/rear of the casing that comes into contact with my ear

upload_2018-7-13_9-39-50.png

edit: I think this can be fixed with different tips by the way, ordered a pair of sony eartipps which bbfoto mentioned earlier in this thread and might even try the comply 500 foam tipps some other people suggested, even though I hate foam tipps : )

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #604 of 1,544
Any recommendation for ear tips to get better seal? I just figured out that they have holes for vents(?) so I'm wondering too if there's no point wasting money on more tips.

Plenty ‘tips’ on tips in this thread. I use comply ts-500, job done. Tsx-500 if you want the wax filters, both good. Search this thread for ‘tips’ you’ll find lots of suggestions. No magic bullet though, personal fit/preference plays a big part. The vent holes are well Placed imo, unlikely that tips will cover them.

Jul 16, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #605 of 1,544
Any recommendation for ear tips to get better seal? I just figured out that they have holes for vents(?) so I'm wondering too if there's no point wasting money on more tips.

as mentioned by several people in this thread, the comply ts-500 work well when it comes to foam tips, when it comes to silicone ones people have mentioned the following ones..

- JVC Spiral Dots
- Beyerdynamic Xelento Tips
- MEE Audio Double Flange
- Sony EP-EX10A (person who suggested them said they're not the most comfortable and not the best ones for seal, but to him they were the ones that made the N5005 sound the best, and he tested several other tips)

...to name just a few

I ordered myself the ones from sony and a fellow head-fi member that is visiting tokyo will send me a pair of JVC's, I can post my impressions once I got the two - might also try the Xelentos, but from the pictures I saw they dont extend out far enough over the nozzle and I'm not sure if this will cause me discomfort since I already have a pressure point on my ear with the spinfits, and these extend above the nozzle quite far

Jul 16, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #606 of 1,544
Hi,

Just got my snug impressions today.
I'll try and sum up best way I can my impressions of the snugs (pun not intended) :wink:

Lets say a bad fit is anything from 40-60 % where they fall out and need constant readjusting.

The medium tips weren't too bad I'd say about 65% fit I had to adjust every now and then, jogging was out the question. But then if I angled and pushed I get perfect seal and better bass etc. But that's only possible by holding you hands to you IEMs and constant pushing, also IEMS constantly pushed in is fatiguing to the ear.

Fit\Sound
With the snugs you get a constant 85% - 90% fit they sound slightly better by angling and pushing further into ear canal but that is fatiguing to the ear. By default these provide excellent seal, the sound is excellent due to seal and the noise isolation is just suburb.

Movement
They don't move I don't have to readjust when walking (I haven't tried jogging yet) but when jumping they still stay in place.

Comfort

Now normally I find IEMs a pretty uncomfortable experience I can only manage an hour before I have to get them out my ear. I've had these in my ear for 2 hours and I'm got only a slight discomfort.
They feel so light to my ears and I can easily wear them for 2.5 hours before feeling I need to take them out. I've also read that this actually gets better with time as you get use to them they even provide a gel to help with getting them in and out for your first few attempts.

Even though some might expect perfection for fit (95% -100%) overall I'm happy customer. I'm also hopeful that over some time the fit will get better as I get better at inserting the impressions and they mould slightly to my ear canal possibly giving me that 95%-100%. I feel they were worth every penny and definitely worth the investment for IEMs at this level.

IMG_1262.JPG

IMG_1263.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #607 of 1,544
Hi.

Question to any owners of the N5005. I'm waiting for my pair to arrive, and am in the market for a DAP that will pair well with them, so would welcome any recommendations.

I want to be able to play Tidal offline, as that's how I consume most of my music, so I know I'm narrowing my options down to android, however from the research I've done and from what I've read on these forums it seems there's no perfect android dap.

I've got my eye on the Hiby r6 as it looks like the most future proof player in terms of its ram and 6.1os, plus I understand it sounds amazing too. My question is, does anyone here own one and run the N5005's on it? Is impedance an issue, as this is a concern for me. My other iem's are Audiofly AF180 which are also 18 Ohm like the AKG.

Alternatively, I have been looking at the Fiio X7ii, the ibasso dx150 and the onkyo dp-x1a . If anyone on here pairs any of these Daps with the N5005's I'd love to hear your feedback.

Many thanks in advance

Jul 16, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #608 of 1,544
Hi.

Question to any owners of the N5005. I'm waiting for my pair to arrive, and am in the market for a DAP that will pair well with them, so would welcome any recommendations.

I want to be able to play Tidal offline, as that's how I consume most of my music, so I know I'm narrowing my options down to android, however from the research I've done and from what I've read on these forums it seems there's no perfect android dap.

I've got my eye on the Hiby r6 as it looks like the most future proof player in terms of its ram and 6.1os, plus I understand it sounds amazing too. My question is, does anyone here own one and run the N5005's on it? Is impedance an issue, as this is a concern for me. My other iem's are Audiofly AF180 which are also 18 Ohm like the AKG.

Alternatively, I have been looking at the Fiio X7ii, the ibasso dx150 and the onkyo dp-x1a . If anyone on here pairs any of these Daps with the N5005's I'd love to hear your feedback.

Many thanks in advance

My go to is the Shanling M3s. It's as if the N5005 and this DAP were made for each other.

Jul 16, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #609 of 1,544
Hi,

I'll try and sum up best way I can my impressions of the snugs (pun not intended) :wink:

Lets say a bad fit is anything from 40-60 % where they fall out and need constant readjusting.

The medium tips weren't too bad I'd say about 65% fit I had to adjust every now and then, jogging was out the question. But then if I angled and pushed I get perfect seal and better bass etc. But that's only possible by holding you hands to you IEMs and constant pushing, also IEMS constantly pushed in is fatiguing to the ear.

Fit\Sound
With the snugs you get a constant 85% - 90% fit they sound slightly better by angling and pushing further into ear canal but that is fatiguing to the ear. By default these provide excellent seal, the sound is excellent due to seal and the noise isolation is just suburb.

Movement
They don't move I don't have to readjust when walking (I haven't tried jogging yet) but when jumping they still stay in place.

Comfort

Now normally I find IEMs a pretty uncomfortable experience I can only manage an hour before I have to get them out my ear. I've had these in my ear for 2 hours and I'm got only a slight discomfort.
They feel so light to my ears and I can easily wear them for 2.5 hours before feeling I need to take them out. I've also read that this actually gets better with time as you get use to them they even provide a gel to help with getting them in and out for your first few attempts.

Even though some might expect perfection for fit (95% -100%) overall I'm happy customer. I'm also hopeful that over some time the fit will get better as I get better at inserting the impressions and they mould slightly to my ear canal possibly giving me that 95%-100%. I feel they were worth every penny and definitely worth the investment for IEMs at this level.

Many thanks for posting your experience with the Snugs (that almost sounds comical, LOL).

But Seriously...Thanks! Nicely organized and described.

I might have to spring for these as IMO the N5005 are truly excellent IEMs, but I just haven't been able to achieve a satisfactory combination of comfort, seal, and SQ with any of the universal type ear tips that I've tried, which is quite a few.

I'm not sure how the process will go being as I'm in the States, but I'm willing to give it a go.

One question: What set of Filters are you using on the N5005 with the Snugs? Have you tried all of the different filters?

TIA

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #611 of 1,544
Many thanks for posting your experience with the Snugs (that almost sounds comical, LOL).

But Seriously...Thanks! Nicely organized and described.

I might have to spring for these as IMO the N5005 are truly excellent IEMs, but I just haven't been able to achieve a satisfactory combination of comfort, seal, and SQ with any of the universal type ear tips that I've tried, which is quite a few.

I'm not sure how the process will go being as I'm in the States, but I'm willing to give it a go.

One question: What set of Filters are you using on the N5005 with the Snugs? Have you tried all of the different filters?

TIA

I've read of some makers in US who offer the same service. I think snugs is international so I'm sure they can accommodate.

I've tried all the filters for experimentation but prefer the Bass ones because I like my bass. Which I feel is perfect with this filters not bloated but well rounded.

Jul 16, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #612 of 1,544
Hi,

Fit\Sound

Movement

Comfort

may I ask how much they've cost you? I'm thinking about getting a pair of these as well if I run out of luck with trying 3rd party silicone tips and if I can somehow order them from switzerland. Thank you for sharing your experience by the way, very interesting read : )

Hi.

Many thanks in advance

I had the DP-X1 which probably comes very close sonically to the DP-X1A, as far as I remember the hardware inside stayed pretty much the same. However I have sold it a while back and was using it with a pair of Westone W40 back then, so no TOTL IEM like the N5005 to give you any reliable statement how it would pair with them.
That being said, I really loved how the W40 sounded connected to the DP-X1 via a 2.5 TRRS linum bax cable, also the build quality, the feel of the material, the design and how it fits into your hands, the stability of the system/android, the battery life and everything else was top notch with that device.
In the end the only reason I sold it was because to me personally having a Smartphone plus a second, even "heavier" device was pure hell, so I got myself a V20 with the money I made back, I really dont like to shlepp any more weight around with me than is absolutely necessary, it's just a bad habit I have : )

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #613 of 1,544
Hi.

Many thanks in advance

Although it's an amazing DAP, and one (if not the only) DAP that's affordable while ALSO having a very quick, responsive UI that is comparable to a modern smartphone, I would wait until the WiFi connection issues with it are 100% sorted out. I believe this is a hardware issue.

The Tidal app on the R6 also has had issues with constant buffering, and HiBy's Joe Bloggs has admitted that there are issues but HiBy and the Tidal team haven't figured out the problem.

I sold my initial R6 unit that I acquired from the Indiegogo Campaign before I even opened the box because I had pretty much bought it to use for Tidal HiFi streaming.

Curiosity got the better of me though, and I purchased another one. :p Unfortunately, it had the same issues with WiFi, though the software did improve just a bit (but not nearly enough) with the one firmware update that HiBy has provided so far.

I'm using the DX200 and IMO it's a good pairing with the N5005's. And you have the option to swap out the amp modules.

IME the N5005 are a bit harder to drive compared to most IEMs, so it's important to have a decently powered amp section in whatever DAP you choose. As a reference, the N5005 also pair nicely and are easily powered by my older DX90 as well. But of course it doesn't have WiFi or Bluetooth. But I still like its smaller form factor, light weight, and hardware buttons.

Ultimately, your choice will come down to your personal preferences in both Sound Signature along with the DAP's UI and feature set. As you mentioned, I don't think there is a "perfect" DAP. Each one has its unique strengths & weaknesses, quirks & oddities.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #614 of 1,544
may I ask how much they've cost you? I'm thinking about getting a pair of these as well if I run out of luck with trying 3rd party silicone tips and if I can somehow order them from switzerland. Thank you for sharing your experience by the way, very interesting read : )

I had the DP-X1 which probably comes very close sonically to the DP-X1A, as far as I remember the hardware inside stayed pretty much the same. However I have sold it a while back and was using it with a pair of Westone W40 back then, so no TOTL IEM like the N5005 to give you any reliable statement how it would pair with them.
That being said, I really loved how the W40 sounded connected to the DP-X1 via a 2.5 TRRS linum bax cable, also the build quality, the feel of the material, the design and how it fits into your hands, the stability of the system/android, the battery life and everything else was top notch with that device.
In the end the only reason I sold it was because to me personally having a Smartphone plus a second, even "heavier" device was pure hell, so I got myself a V20 with the money I made back, I really dont like to shlepp any more weight around with me than is absolutely necessary, it's just a bad habit I have : )
Thanks so much for the input, I'll do a bit further reading on the Dp-x1a. It's a front runner!

Jul 16, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #615 of 1,544

I paid £180 received a 10% code because I signed up to their news letter.
I could have tried tips but can easily have spent £30-50 and still not have a great fit. Also custom moulds IMO are a different experience since they are specifically made for your ears.

At headphones on this level they are worth it, however if your in a habit of buying/selling because you get bored then it would not be worth while. Since they are specifically templated for the N5005 and your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back