AKG new N90Q
Aug 25, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #76 of 380
Their ideal target is based on a equal-loudness contour.
As expected, somebody is mad for some reason by my post. A interesting place.....head-fi is....

I am not upset in the slightest. I just think they should have used the Harman target response curve as the ideal as it's currently the most sound scientifically.

Sep 20, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #78 of 380
I heard an early production pair of these at the SE MI meet, probably the best closed back I've ever heard.

Sep 20, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #79 of 380
I am super interested in these. Seeing as you won't have to buy a standalone dac and amp, I don't think the price is TOO out there.
Seeing as the alternative is to buy an HD800+amp+dac or something similar.
Am I understanding correctly that these will be driven efficiently by the built in technology?
Will you be able to charge it while listening?
Also, do they have the horrendous hissing noise that often comes with Noise Cancelling? Will you be able to turn this feature off?

Sep 20, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #81 of 380
I am super interested in these. Seeing as you won't have to buy a standalone dac and amp, I don't think the price is TOO out there.
Seeing as the alternative is to buy an HD800+amp+dac or something similar.
Am I understanding correctly that these will be driven efficiently by the built in technology?
Will you be able to charge it while listening?
Also, do they have the horrendous hissing noise that often comes with Noise Cancelling? Will you be able to turn this feature off?
I don't think you can expect the built in DAC/AMP to compete with high end standalone components. I don't know about the charging while playing but I'd assume yes. Also, these have a quiet low pressure sound, some people are more sensitive than others. I really like their implementation of it and I can't stand the Bose qc15. Also these are active only, there is no passive mode.

Sep 20, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #83 of 380
Not to bash, but it seems like AKG comes out with new phones so frequently. I can't keep up.

And these All in one with "noise canceling" for a pretty penny. 
I dont trust the "noise canceling" tech - I mean on the surface, when you cancel certain tones,
dont you also cancel those same tones in the music you are listening to? 

Maybe I'm wrong, but I know some audio dealers who have the same question
And if they are using some hi-tech radar waves for the noise cancellation, 
for me there are just too many "waves" flying around my brain.

I know all the tech companies (cell phones, headphones) say that the elecromagnetics flying around your head are safe,
but I personally dont truss' 'em.

There is a Cumulative effect of all these non-natural electromagnetic forces around us attributing to our cell mutations. And guess what? Thats what cancer is: cell mutations. We ALL have them, but those that have more mutations than others develop tumors and leukemia. Its these types of devices that push some people over the edge into growing tumors and lymphomas/leukemias. But we all choose our own poisons, this just happens not to be one of mine.
Ok, done with the rant!

Sep 20, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #85 of 380
  Not to bash, but it seems like AKG comes out with new phones so frequently. I can't keep up.

And these All in one with "noise canceling" for a pretty penny. I dont trust the "noise canceling" tech - I mean on the surface, when you cancel certain tones, dont you also cancel those same tones in the music you are listening to? 

Maybe I'm wrong, but I know some audio dealers who have the same question. And if they are using some hi-tech radar waves for the noise cancellation, for me there are just too many "waves" flying around my brain.

I know all the tech companies (cell phones, headphones) say that the elecromagnetics flying around your head are safe, but I personally dont truss' 'em.

There is a Cumulative effect of all these non-natural electromagnetic forces around us attributing to our cell mutations. And guess what? Thats what cancer is: cell mutations. We ALL have them, but those that have more mutations than others develop tumors and leukemia. Its these types of devices that push some people over the edge into growing tumors and lymphomas/leukemias. But we all choose our own poisons, this just happens not to be one of mine.
Ok, done with the rant!

@fotomeow,

noise cancelling headphones emit the inverted sound waveform of the ambient sound picked up by microphones built-into the headphones. typically only works for lower frequencies noise. higher frequency noise is typically dealt with simply using passive noise isolation. Noise cancelling headphones do not emit any radiation, just opposite sonic waveforms of the ambient noise to cancel them out. There is obviously audio processing in noise-cancelling headphones, but it is possible to still have very good sounding noise canceling headphones. The only thing is that manufacturers may place an emphasis on the noise-canceling algorithm and technology for NC headphones rather than the quality or tuning of the drivers, so the price point may be inflated for the overall sound quality. Audiophiles also do tend to look down at audio processing effects. Sound waves are mechanical waves that require a medium to travel through (something to vibrate - aka air).

There shouldn't really be any health concerns in that regard. cell phones operate quite differently sending radiofrequency waves (3kHz to 300 GHz). This is a type of electromagnetic wave which are waves that can travel through a vacuum (aka you can sent it out through outer space). The radio waves used in cell phones are stronger than FM radio waves, but weaker than microwaves. There is currently no data showing either way if there is any link between the electromagnetic radiation sent out by cellphones and risk of cancer. http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/radiationexposureandcancer/radiofrequency-radiation

X-Rays and Gamma rays on the other hand have been associated with an increased cancer risk. X-rays have a frequency ranging 3 * 10^16 Hz to 3 * 10^19 Hz. Gamma rays have a frequency greater than 10^19Hz.  Long-term exposure to ultraviolet radiation (found in sunlight with a frequency of 10^15-10^17) has also been demonstrated to cause skin cancer. For the radio waves of cellphones, they operate within gigahertz range (a GHz is only 10^9). Radio wave is a very lower-energy/lower frequency wave with lower frequency than visible light and all the other high-frequency/high-energy radiation (such as uv rays, x-rays, and gamma rays).

Do not think of waves of the electromagnetic spectrum as inherently dangerous. Visible light is a wave with a higher frequency than both microwave and radio waves.

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #86 of 380
MONEY4ME247 
-Thanks for the scientific info!
Gary

Sep 30, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #87 of 380
Today later i will give you my impressions about the N90Q with some Pics

Regards Nomax

Sep 30, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #90 of 380
This thing looks ridiculous. Personally I also tend to stay away from "all in one" components. There is only so much they can squeeze out of a small amount of physical space. Also, when one component breaks, entire device is down. Maybe if it had an MSRP of under $200 I could understand it, but for $1300... If you are spending that much money, follow through with the rest of your system. Buy one and be done is a nice sales pitch, but that is about all it is. 

Hate to join the bandwagon, currently own a K501 and a pair of sextetts, have previously owned and enjoyed a K701, don't see myself buying new AKG products. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back