AKG new N90Q
Sep 30, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #91 of 380
Hi my friends!
today i am very busy,sorry i will write a few things later,here sone pictures from me,all i can say as first take a look at the headband at my head,its really sad but this is the worst Headband Construction that i have ever seen in the higher pricerange!!!the positive thing is in this case THIS IS THE ONLY NEGATIVE THING!!!

About the Sound i will tell you something later

Regards Nomax

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #92 of 380
Hi my friends!
today i am very busy,sorry i will write a few things later,here sone pictures from me,all i can say as first take a look at the headband at my head,its really sad but this is the worst Headband Construction that i have ever seen in the higher pricerange!!!the positive thing is in this case THIS IS THE ONLY NEGATIVE THING!!!

About the Sound i will tell you something later

Regards Nomax

NOMAX always delivers! Do you have a production model? I heard an EP model from jude a couple of weeks ago. I'm still waiting for my pair and I'm an employee. Hoping they start shipping them soon.

Oct 2, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #93 of 380
German site AreaDVD posted a review....

Some info from the review: NC is always on; no passive mode, meaning the battery must be charged in order to hear something; EQ can be changed in 25 steps....

Cheers :)

Oct 2, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #94 of 380
  German site AreaDVD posted a review.... Some info from the review: NC is always on; no passive mode, meaning the battery must be charged in order to hear something; EQ can be changed in 25 steps.... Cheers :)

gahhh... why would they do that? NC should definitely be something toggleable.

Oct 3, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #95 of 380
Its an interesting concept to include a DAC within the headphone... I guess its not just there to amuse, but the sound modifications based on ear measurements are done in digital. That would of course mean feeding it an analog signal leads to an ADC... Interesting and technically quite a feat to pack that into a headphone, but not for me. I don't want to keep another unit charged. And they are much too big for mobile use anyway (at least for my taste).

Oct 3, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #96 of 380
Its an interesting concept to include a DAC within the headphone... I guess its not just there to amuse, but the sound modifications based on ear measurements are done in digital. That would of course mean feeding it an analog signal leads to an ADC... Interesting and technically quite a feat to pack that into a headphone, but not for me. I don't want to keep another unit charged. And they are much too big for mobile use anyway (at least for my taste).
You find them in compact form in the Philips Fidelio M2L ,contra here is you can only use them with iPhone/ iPod and all with lightning connect

Oct 3, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #97 of 380
You find them in compact form in the Philips Fidelio M2L ,contra here is you can only use them with iPhone/ iPod and all with lightning connect

Technically you're correct of course, and also every Bluetooth wireless headphone contains a DAC. What I had in mind was more something along the lines 'high-end DAC and amp' as the N90Q is meant to be reference class if I understand that correctly (which the Philips is not as far as I can see). Plus I suspect the N90Q does more in the digital domain than most other wireless headphones (or the Philips model).

Oct 6, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #98 of 380
After Weeks with this HP'S Now to the N90Q by AKG:

My friends from Vienna does not have grip on that.

But this does not mean, that I do not have good contacts to USA - meaning: As NOMAX LOL

Developed in the US together with the Core Technology Group, designed by the daughter of Quincy Jones and inspired by himself.
I'm by myself quite "turned back and forth", because it does not exist a model like this till now.

May be somebody could write many pages about this headphone. However, I try to compress it into a short picture like this:

RIGHT & WRONG - EXCELLENT & POOR!!!

What I like?:
The cushions -I do not know what's inside, but I like it and it works well!
The pressure on the ear is good.
How to use is easy and fast to discover.

NORMAL MODE - Oh Jesus, Man this sound dreadful!!!
STUDIO MODE - Oh it becomes suddenly much louder and it sound to a certain extent better
SURROUND MODE -Oh great how music become in front of the listener- my favorit mode

What does me hurt personally is:
It' necessary to adjust on the side bass/treble because every record is different interpreted..._
F.I.: "Top Gun" need more... and "Lucio Dalla - Caruso" need less. a.s.o.

But the biggest "NO GO" for 1500 USD is for me:

The headband construction!!!!! I do not know what they tough about that in the US! First: You have a big distance between the head and the bow - space for at least a whole hand.
Secondly: Everybody looks awful with it... You have seen of sure pic's from me already

1500,- are huge cost, but you get something for it
The perfect headphone for on the move and mobile use?Only if the wrong designed headband could be replaced - than of sure

For at home? you could grip the K812 !
Would I rate the sound beyond the T1p ? YES!

The strongest argument is, that you can adjust by the left and right Ear Cups the sound towards your personal music feeling.

The disadvantage of that story:
You need to search for and to adjust after each album.

The Noicecancelling works very well

OVERALL:

Design 1
Construction 2-3(HEADBAND)
Workmanship 1
Sound No Judgement!! It exist too much possibilities DO IT YOURSELF - search for your own adjustment!!
Wearing comfort 1 (even with cap and glasses no problem at all - thanks to the "wonder-cushions"!!

Regards NOMAX

Oct 8, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #99 of 380
For sound quality, you can buy HD800/K812;
For impressive functions, Parrot Zik 2.0 is good choice (+ wireless)
For ANC, Bose QC25 is unbeatable.

The most important thing, you can get 3 excellent headphones for 1 headphone price.

Oct 15, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #100 of 380
  German site AreaDVD posted a review....

Some info from the review: NC is always on; no passive mode, meaning the battery must be charged in order to hear something; EQ can be changed in 25 steps....

Cheers :)

gahhh... why would they do that? NC should definitely be something toggleable.

Wow!!!
What was AKG thinking!!!!!!!???
That's definitely a blow... I was actually very interested in these but definitely not now. We have so many things reliant on a freaking battery, I don't want my headphones to fall into that rut...

THIS Exactly!

But the biggest "NO GO" for 1500 USD is for me:

The headband construction!!!!! I do not know what they tough about that in the US! First: You have a big distance between the head and the bow - space for at least a whole hand.
Secondly: Everybody looks awful with it... You have seen of sure pic's from me already
Regards NOMAX

Yeah, $1500 was already quite high, and I agree with you. I can't even get good fit with AKG 55x series!
I guess if it dips below $600, I might buy it... in a few years... and might probably need to use it connected all time (if it works) since battery might probably be DEAD by that time! LOL.

AKG ... FAIL!

Oct 15, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #101 of 380
For everyone questioning the toggle ability of the ANC, remember that there is some significant DSP happening in the HP. DSP must be done in the digital domain, thus everything must go through a ADC if it's in analog, be processed and then head through the DAC and AMP. although having to rely on battery is less than ideal a battery pack is included. This product is obviously a very niche market product. At this price range you need to listen before you buy, and there is sound reasoning in the requirement for battery power.

Oct 16, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #102 of 380
  For everyone questioning the toggle ability of the ANC, remember that there is some significant DSP happening in the HP. DSP must be done in the digital domain, thus everything must go through a ADC if it's in analog, be processed and then head through the DAC and AMP. although having to rely on battery is less than ideal a battery pack is included. This product is obviously a very niche market product. At this price range you need to listen before you buy, and there is sound reasoning in the requirement for battery power.

I am a very big fan of AKG products, so please don't take my critical feedback the wrong way.

The heavy reliance of DSP though seems quite unnecessary though. If the headphone is tuned well prior to the digital signal processing, then having the headphones be able to work when the battery life runs out is immensely valuable. I can't think of anything more frustrating to have a $1.5k headphone turn into a paperweight if you forget to charge it. Bose also uses a similar approach with a lot of digital processing being vital to its sound, but I do think that is a bit of a lazy way to approach it. The headphones should be first tuned to be excellent without any digital processing and then further enhancements can be added. Your target audience is also passionate about external component gear and likely would want to explore trying the headphones with their own amplifier and dac set-up.

I understand that this product is a sort of exploration in a new direction for AKG. I would just hate to see it fail based on some things that may possibly still have a chance to be addressed. At the $1.5k price point, many consumers will be extremely picky with specifics such as this.

Oct 16, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #103 of 380
  I am a very big fan of AKG products, so please don't take my critical feedback the wrong way.

The heavy reliance of DSP though seems quite unnecessary though. If the headphone is tuned well prior to the digital signal processing, then having the headphones be able to work when the battery life runs out is immensely valuable. I can't think of anything more frustrating to have a $1.5k headphone turn into a paperweight if you forget to charge it. Bose also uses a similar approach with a lot of digital processing being vital to its sound, but I do think that is a bit of a lazy way to approach it. The headphones should be first tuned to be excellent without any digital processing and then further enhancements can be added. Your target audience is also passionate about external component gear and likely would want to explore trying the headphones with their own amplifier and dac set-up.

I understand that this product is a sort of exploration in a new direction for AKG. I would just hate to see it fail based on some things that may possibly still have a chance to be addressed. At the $1.5k price point, many consumers will be extremely picky with specifics such as this.

Don't worry about offending me, i'm just an automotive employee!

I do see the drawbacks but my guess is that the designers couldn't get a satisfactory sound in both modes  out of the same architecture so they pursued the attribute that sets this HP apart. I don't think you are alone in your concerns. I always have my 3003s with me so they would be a more than sufficient backup. I think this HP isn't trying to do everything  "pretty good" but rather do one thing extremely well. We are approaching the in stock date so hopefully so real reviews will start to pop up in december.

Oct 16, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #104 of 380
Don't worry about offending me, i'm just an automotive employee!

I do see the drawbacks but my guess is that the designers couldn't get a satisfactory sound in both modes  out of the same architecture so they pursued the attribute that sets this HP apart. I don't think you are alone in your concerns. I always have my 3003s with me so they would be a more than sufficient backup. I think this HP isn't trying to do everything  "pretty good" but rather do one thing extremely well. We are approaching the in stock date so hopefully so real reviews will start to pop up in december.

Thats the sad thing is,the N90Q was not devoloped by ........and his great Team in Vienna!

Here a Picture from the Engineer&contributor behind K3003&K812 and me lol

REGARDS NOMAX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back