AKG new headphone K545?
Aug 21, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #1,486 of 1,753

... Not quite as effective when the answer isn't as obvious.

Anyways, I was wondering since I saw a vid where someone compared the K550 to the Q701 and said they were quite similar sounding with the upper hand to the K550. Since the K545 sound similiar to the K550 but bassier and more rolled off with a smaller soundstage I was just wondering how close they'd sound compared to the Q701. I've only heard the Q701 once in a store and didn't get a chance to A/B them and the K545 when they were there together sadly.

Hahaha, K545 is not on par with K/Q701 in any way except bass thump.  K701 hardly delivers any if you care about that while K545 can.  Then balance-wise, K/Q701 is slightly recessed in the bass and treble, giving it a very mid-forward character.  If K/Q701 is not properly amped, K545 can sound as good or even make it sound like an overpriced joke of a [former] flagship, as always happens with all of these more inefficient headphones.

If K545 is supposed to be comparable to K550 as I read somewhere in this thread (or was that else where around the forums?  I can't remember anymore), and another guy tells me that K551 is around on par with SR325, then K550 is definitely not in K/Q701's league.

Aug 21, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #1,487 of 1,753
  I just tried, no dice. A little pull out and the music comes out of my speakers. Shouldn't be any reason to pull out, this is not sex.

These sound a lot better out of my iPhone. The soundstage opens up to boot. Strange.

Ideally, there shouldn't be any reason to pull out a bit, but in reality, it happens, unfortunately.

Aug 21, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #1,488 of 1,753

Hahaha, K545 is not on par with K/Q701 in any way except bass thump.  K701 hardly delivers any if you care about that while K545 can.  Then balance-wise, K/Q701 is slightly recessed in the bass and treble, giving it a very mid-forward character.  If K/Q701 is not properly amped, K545 can sound as good or even make it sound like an overpriced joke of a [former] flagship, as always happens with all of these more inefficient headphones.

If K545 is supposed to be comparable to K550 as I read somewhere in this thread (or was that else where around the forums?  I can't remember anymore), and another guy tells me that K551 is around on par with SR325, then K550 is definitely not in K/Q701's league.

Unfortunately, with so many varying reviews and comparisons, you can say everyone is right and wrong at the same time because it's entirely subjective. You can only take it with a grain of salt :/

If only I had the headphones in front of me..

Aug 21, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #1,489 of 1,753
Aug 21, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #1,491 of 1,753
I wasn't sure either, I suspect it will be to big too, but that's what your sort of looking for :)

I have owned the K550 and currently also own the Q701. I have already posted my comparison to the K550 so won't do that again. I have hole modded my Q701 and it definitely is a more detailed and larger sounding headphone. But the K545 is more portable and better if you need a bit of isolation, I personally like both of them.

Aug 21, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #1,492 of 1,753
The reviews on this connector are not great but it or one like it might do the trick. http://www.amazon.com/Atomic-Market-Female-Adapter-Plated/dp/B00AVLY1EO/ref=pd_sim_e_13?ie=UTF8&refRID=1339Y2CQGAS6G3QXRJ6N

Aug 22, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #1,493 of 1,753
I actually have something similar. I've taken it to a knife sharpening stone to file down the metal sides but it still doesn't fit. I still have to work on it.

Aug 22, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #1,494 of 1,753
In that case I would go with a cable and shave off the plastic around the tip or better yet use something like a Dremel tool to grind off the excess plastic as it would be easier to work with.

Not sure if anyone here likes IEM's or not but man do I love my DJE1500. They have a similar bass to the K545 but slightly more forward and warmer midrange and similar levels of treble. Sort of like a bass oriented IEM that is more level in the mids and treble. They also have an above average sound stage and imaging for an IEM. Here is a link to my review. http://www.head-fi.org/products/pioneer-dje-1500-k-professional-dj-in-ear-headphones

Aug 22, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #1,495 of 1,753
  I actually have something similar. I've taken it to a knife sharpening stone to file down the metal sides but it still doesn't fit. I still have to work on it.

Yes, $1 of off fleabay.  I wouldn't expect it to have the tightest manufacturing tolerances ever, so perhaps the one you have might be slightly too large or the contacts too small.

Aug 26, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #1,496 of 1,753
Have the K845 which I read are the same as the K545 but wireless also. Made a few mods and finally have a really comfy headphone.

Added a headpad as the stock was too thin and could feel the metal band pressing my head. Now it just feels perfect and can wear for hours without discomfort.

Changed the pads also and added bungee cord for inside of HM5 pads, which bring back the original sound quality and isolation.

Aug 26, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #1,497 of 1,753
  Have the K845 which I read are the same as the K545 but wireless also. Made a few mods and finally have a really comfy headphone.

Added a headpad as the stock was too thin and could feel the metal band pressing my head. Now it just feels perfect and can wear for hours without discomfort.

Changed the pads also and added bungee cord for inside of HM5 pads, which bring back the original sound quality and isolation.

I've tried to change the earpads without sucess.

I'd really appreciate a tutorial with pictures. would be awesome.

Im afraid to make mistakes here..

Aug 26, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #1,498 of 1,753
The headband mod looks interesting. Is that the headband from the HD280? I've got one so I think I'll try it.

Edit: Okay, I tried it for myself and it's actually not bad at all. I never had issues with the stock band but the HD280 band just makes it a little more comfy albeit a little sillier looking.

I'm using this with the stock pads and I'd have to say it's actually more comfortable now and the pressure on my head is more even possibly because the extra cushioning allows you to push the headphones up a little bit to let the pads "float" on your head instead of sinking in all the way in.

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #1,499 of 1,753
  I've tried to change the earpads without sucess.

I'd really appreciate a tutorial with pictures. would be awesome.

Im afraid to make mistakes here..

There was a tutorial here somewhere, but can't find it now. But its just like removing a mattress protector, just slowly pull around the lip edges.
  The headband mod looks interesting. Is that the headband from the HD280? I've got one so I think I'll try it.

Yes it is the HD280 pad. It fits great, try it out.

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #1,500 of 1,753

There was a tutorial here somewhere, but can't find it now. But its just like removing a mattress protector, just slowly pull around the lip edges.
Yes it is the HD280 pad. It fits great, try it out.

Ok! Got it. Saw a post in page 98 showing the right way to do it.

Question. I've just looked for this pad in Amazon, but they look so different..

Are u sure you got the hd280 pad? :)

link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040M1SWS/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B008J5A288&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0138XF9DPZFFJHBKXAY2

Tks a million

Users who are viewing this thread

Back