AKG new headphone K545?
Feb 23, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #1,231 of 1,753
My impressions are pretty much the same with the X3 as I heard with your tracks on my computer. Not sure why the Clip sounds like that with the NAD's. I'm going to verify what I heard today with it. I only had a quick 10 minute listen through the Clip today.

I know a few people here have said they prefer the 545's to the NAD's, but I'm leaning the other way. There really is something addictive with the NAD's. Not sure where you live and if you have access to amazon, but there is no risk to try them both through amazon and return one. If you have $550 to spare and can wait a couple or 3 weeks to get $250 or $300 refunded(depending on which one you return) try them both out. I know its a lot of money to have out there for a couple of weeks, but you don't want that nagging feeling that you made the wrong choice.

Feb 24, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #1,233 of 1,753
I've had the K545's for a few weeks now and I've decided that I'm just gonna have to order the hm5 pads, comfort has been too much of an issue. This is my first time ever changing the pads on headphones, so I had a few questions if somebody wouldn't mind helping me out:

1. Is it a difficult task/anything I should know going in?
2. If I don't like the hm5's, can I put the stock pads back on?
3. I've read that this will help with isolation, comfort, and soundstage, but will it help with heat? The stock pads get really hot for me if I wear them for quite a while and was curious as to if the new pads would have the same effect.

Thanks guys!

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #1,234 of 1,753
  I've had the K545's for a few weeks now and I've decided that I'm just gonna have to order the hm5 pads, comfort has been too much of an issue. This is my first time ever changing the pads on headphones, so I had a few questions if somebody wouldn't mind helping me out:

1. Is it a difficult task/anything I should know going in?
2. If I don't like the hm5's, can I put the stock pads back on?
3. I've read that this will help with isolation, comfort, and soundstage, but will it help with heat? The stock pads get really hot for me if I wear them for quite a while and was curious as to if the new pads would have the same effect.

Thanks guys!

1. Very easy and nothing to worry about.
2. Yes you can put stock pads back.
3. I did not notice some big difference, maybe a little coller because of more space (air) in bigger pads.

Mar 4, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #1,237 of 1,753
OK I just got these and have been pleasantly surprised. I had a bias against AKG headphones because of their notorious shrill treble and thin sound. However these seem to have a pretty full, rich and balanced sound so far. My only complaint soundwise is that the highs are a little too sharp for, for example, a soprano vocalist like Dawn Upshaw. Hopefully that will smooth out over time.

I am however having a bit of a comfort issue. Ears fit fine, but the headband pressures one spot on the top of my head and I cant find an adjustment to make that pressure go away. Anyone else have that issue?

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #1,238 of 1,753
Update after wearing nearly continuously since my last post. The headband comfort issue has gone away. Ears aren't perfect but they're not uncomfortable.

Its a little brighter than I'm used to and prefer but except for a few tracks, not annoyingly bright. Lower mids are a little missing on a few tracks. Sense of space and isolation is quite good for a closed HP. Overall when I stop hyper-listening I'm enjoying though and think after trying three other headphones I've finally found the one I'll stick with. 

Oh and the build quality seems tremendous, which I think is a very underrated factor for a portable.

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #1,239 of 1,753
The lower mids are not as strong as the upper mids but do seem to improve over time so you will enjoy these more as you use them. The cups are a hair off perfect for me but close enough I can wear these for hours without issue. I haven't had any issues with headband comfort so am glad this subsided for you. If it comes back try adjusting the headband slightly forward, I find this has helped with pain on my head with some headphones. I have nothing but good thoughts about the build quality as well but there does seem to be issues with sound imbalance for some but is a problem out of the box versus something that happens to the headphone through use.

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #1,241 of 1,753
  Thanks. What about the slight shrillness of the highs. Does that tame a little bit with time?

I've been in and out of Head-Fi lately...  If you are talking about the K545 (and not asking about a different HP), then yes, the highs do tame with time... 

Mar 5, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #1,243 of 1,753
it seems very intresting. i do think it might really be a portable version of the k550\k551. but untill we wont see it in the market and there will be a clearer massege about those headphones from akg, we can only guess.

Mar 5, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #1,244 of 1,753
I think the highs do mellow out over time as well.

These are clearly stated as being a more portable alternative to the K550 with more bass from AKG own literature.

If you look at my review I do a fairly comprehensive comparison between them and a pair of K550 I A/B tested them against.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back