AKG new headphone K545?
Mar 6, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #1,247 of 1,753
Ok this might be imagined, but I think these benefit from playing lossless more than some other headphones. In my view, the biggest difference I can discern between FLAC and VBR0 MP3 is that FLAC has a little bit more of a fuller and thicker sound. That is where the K545s fall a hair short to my ears, so they really benefit from FLAC.

Also, they really benefit from high gain.

Mar 13, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #1,249 of 1,753
I apparently have the same driver flex issue that was brought up a while back, and it definitely has an impact on the volume balance. The right driver experiences significant flex which basically does this: As pressure increases or decreases (pressing or releasing, or just placing them on your head which creates some pressure) the sound from the right driver decreases dramatically, down to maybe <50% volume, until a "pop" sound is heard and the volume returns to normal.

In practice the right driver is always a bit quieter than the left (tested this with some blind left/right swaps with a bit of help, that driver's always easily identified as quieter). Depending on exactly how they end up sitting on my head it can be a lot quieter and the cup would need to be pushed on to "pop" the driver (which doesn't sound like a good thing at all when it happens).

I really liked the sound, enough to overlook the kind of tricky seal, but there's no way I can put up with this messed up driver. Considering the fact that I'm seeing others reporting the same issue I'll likely return instead of trying a replacement. The other driver has a small amount of flex as well (but no variable volume) so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a relatively common issue.

Mar 17, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #1,250 of 1,753
Does anyone know of a good amp to pair with these headphones?

I currently have a E6 and was considering either a E12, E18, a desktop portable combo of E07k and E09k or a Dragonfly v1.2 (if a usb to micro usb adaptor will work for it).

I would really prefer anything portable that will improve on the sound of the headphones; namely the sub bass and the overall balance. My current source is from a Motorola RAZR 925 and I'm not sure of how good it's DAC capabilities are. I don't have a desktop amp atm so if the amp can double as a desktop amp that would be great as well.

Mar 19, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #1,251 of 1,753
Would you recommend these as a headphone for both studio use and personal listening. I listen to and produce edm and rap. To save you some trouble; I don't like the looks and fit of the K550's and I have some serious comfort issues with the Focal Pro's.

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #1,252 of 1,753
I personally only listen to music for fun, so have no clue about using these for recording.

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #1,253 of 1,753
So has anyone found ear pads that fit these besides the hm5 replacement pads? I would buy the hm5 pads but they're out of stock.
frown.gif

So I really need some help.

Link for HM5 pads
http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-earphones/brainwavz-hm5-spare-earpad-1pc

Mar 19, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #1,254 of 1,753
Sorry I have good luck with stock pads so have not tried anything else. But if the HM5 pads fit maybe the SRH840 pad will fit as I see some people use them on the HM5.

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #1,256 of 1,753
The only thing that matters in terms of sound is neautrality and accuracy. I am not a sound engineer, so I don't need something dead-neautral. Do you think that the HP50's are better for this purpose?

I personally don't see the HP50 as a studio monitor. It's a nice, laid back sound though.

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #1,259 of 1,753
Sorry I have good luck with stock pads so have not tried anything else. But if the HM5 pads fit maybe the SRH840 pad will fit as I see some people use them on the HM5.

Yeah I've heard that to. I saw someone earlier on this thread say that they didn't fit the K545 
frown.gif

Are you talking about these? 
http://www.amazon.com/Shure-HPAEC840-Replacement-Cushions-Headphones/dp/B002Z9JWZS/ref=pd_sim_e_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=0KZ7CA1JBY29T8K51A9J

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #1,260 of 1,753
The HM5 pads fit, the Shure do not because the lip to attach to the headphones is not wide enough. You could rig something up to make them fit, but they won't stay on as is. I don't know about the Alpha pads... someone should try it out!

Is there another place to buy the hm5 pads?
And someone said that shure pads fit the hm5 so wouldn't they fit the k545?

Shure HPAEC840 Replacement Ear Cushions For SRH840 Headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back