AKG new headphone K545?
Jan 29, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #1,051 of 1,753
For kicks I tried the bend in the middle trick and it added a bit more clamp so I am not noticing the break when I turn my head sharply now. I do think my flat glasses arms do help also.

Personally the comfort of these also outweigh the occasional break in seal for me.

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #1,052 of 1,753
For kicks I tried the bend in the middle trick and it added a bit more clamp so I am not noticing the break when I turn my head sharply now. I do think my flat glasses arms do help also.

Personally the comfort of these also outweigh the occasional break in seal for me.

I wasn't brave enough to bend the headband since I wasn't sure about the sound signature for me and Best Buy had their return policy. I do agree that the break in seal is not a huge issue though. Also agree that comfort is very good...not the best (for me) but certainly not anything bad.

I'm curious have you ever auditioned the A900x's?

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #1,053 of 1,753
Jan 29, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #1,054 of 1,753

Well there's always next month..:)

lol
i don't got it like that. I need two months to get the he400i it costs 499. bills and a wife and kid you know!

I would ask for donations but this isnt the right place since everyone here is hungry for new gear there is none left over to donate to ME...except dweaver(yeah right !!! he probably wants that k812) I wish I was able to keep my cool like him. 

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #1,055 of 1,753
I have owned the Ad700 and AD900 and have heard the original A700 and A900. I also have owned a pair D7000 so I think all of those have made super sealing headphones less of a priority to me when is comes to full size.

In regards to the bend mod, I would only recommend it if you loved the sound and only had very minor seal issues.

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #1,056 of 1,753
*cough...bull crap

Sounds good and in concept it makes sense. I used to believe the same thing until I tried a bunch, But unfortunately the only fully over ear hp I have used to beat the on ears I have tried in isolation is the German maestro.
Even the perfect seal of the 7520 leaked and let noise in(could have been the bass port but the vents on the fostex t50 leak less)

The beyer on ears dt1350's and senn hd25's(usually used by Djs as the num one set) and amperiors , even the on ear momentum, and pioneer hdj500, the spider powerforces have exceptional isolation.

Actually I have yet to try one that doesn't .

mmm... i dunno. i beg to differ. all over-ears I've tried isolate great (except the V-Moda M100 which have vents). The Momentum Over-Ears (that are real world on-ears) leak music pretty hard due to its on-ear design. I am sure that certain on-ears may be able to achieve good noise isolation, but that is by sacrificing comfort to clamp on top of your ears hard enough that the earpads seal tightly into your "ear-cracks." That just sound extremely painful. I have tried on-ears with a intense clamp and they become extremely uncomfortable for me personally after 30min-1hour of listening. Though I have not tried the on-ears that you have mentioned, I have tried a ton of over-ears and noise isolation was never an issue for me. I feel pretty safe in saying that over-ears generally have better noise-isolation and comfort compared to on-ears unless the over-ears have vents (V-Moda M100) or are designed to be open sounding (Fostex TH900)

Quote:
  After using, and loving the sound of the 545s for the past few days, I'm almost 100% convinced I will not be able to use them going forward.  The clamp is just too light for my average sized head, thus resulting in a broken seal even with the slightest movement...when I'm NOT wearing my glasses.  The new HM5 pads may work better...I'm not sure, but I wear my glasses most of the time when I'm listening to music (late night after everyone else is in bed) so I'm fairly confident I will be disappointed.  

With a few other bass oriented headphones in my stable, I'll probably end up returning them, even though they have the absolute perfect sound profile for me.  I just cannot get over how bad the pads are and the clamp force compared to nearly every headphone I've tried in the last few years.  It's almost unforgivable.  

Not really sure what everyone here is talking about with the loose clamp of the AKG K545. When I used them, they have a great clamp and I have a tiny head using the headband settings on the smallest. The AKG K550 actually has too loose of a clamp & the headband is too large for me even on the lowest setting, so I cannot achieve a good seal with them personally. However, there is a very simple easy fix, you just put a little bit of pressure on the metal headband, so the clamping force is higher. For the higher clamping force of the K545 and the extremely small headband settings, you can easily just adjust the headband or do the same bending-headband fix for an easy win.

Considering what a non-issue clamping force is for most AKG K550 owners, I can't believe I am reading complaints about the clamping force on the K545 which has a higher clamping force. You guys must all be coming from the xtremely- high-clamping-pressure V-Moda headphones, which literally feel like the headphones are trying to dig themselves into your skull. hahaha. love V-Moda headphones tho.

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #1,057 of 1,753
You guys must all be coming from the xtremely- high-clamping-pressure V-Moda headphones, which literally feel like the headphones are trying to dig themselves into your skull. hahaha. love V-Moda headphones tho.

I am definitely used to the M100...guilty as charged. That doesn't mean I'm wrong in saying the clamp and seal of the 545 is subpar for my needs. I'm not about to purposely bend a headphone so I will continue my search. I really really like the sound of the 545 so at least I know my preferred sound sig. Tho the M100 is still pretty fun to listen to.

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #1,058 of 1,753
I am definitely used to the M100...guilty as charged. That doesn't mean I'm wrong in saying the clamp and seal of the 545 is subpar for my needs. I'm not about to purposely bend a headphone so I will continue my search. I really really like the sound of the 545 so at least I know my preferred sound sig. Tho the M100 is still pretty fun to listen to.

hahaha that is really funny that i was unintentionally right about that!

but if you are going to return your k545 anyways, why not just try it? worse thing that happens is that it breaks... but you're returning it anyways :) I mean v-moda recommends purposely bending their headphones to loosen the clamping force. it's really a no-lose solution for you.

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #1,059 of 1,753
  lol
i don't got it like that. I need two months to get the he400i it costs 499. bills and a wife and kid you know!

haha, yeah I hear you... I spend way too much on hobbies lately. Midlife crisis maybe?..:)

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #1,060 of 1,753
i will leave you to it.  

but since I have a problem of not being able to shut up....I have recorded in many studios and isolation is key. I can't name all the hp's i have experienced... the momentum over ear has poor isolation due to its overall poor cup design but not because it is on ear. If you can name an over ear hp that you have tried that isolate better than the ones I have mentioned then i am all ears and open to be corrected.

but to me experience trumps speculation. I am also not saying that on ear isolates better either. Its just that if there is an exception to a rule then the rule is not an absolute. In this case there are too many exceptions. 
Quote:
  mmm... i dunno. i beg to differ. 

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #1,061 of 1,753
Could we compile a comprehensive list of the ear cups that will fit on these cans? I find it difficult to get a proper seal while wearing these with glasses and noticed my ear touches the face covering the driver which causes a surprising amount of discomfort after about an hour of use. I think it would be worthwhile to experiment with some beefier cups. 

Jan 30, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #1,062 of 1,753
Just the HM5 pads as far as anyone has tried so far. Their is discussion on them in the last couple of pages.

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #1,063 of 1,753
Just the HM5 pads as far as anyone has tried so far. Their is discussion on them in the last couple of pages.

if those fit, then maybe you can consider looking into the J$ Beyer V2 lambskin Earpads

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #1,064 of 1,753
Hi K545 owners,

I am looking for some input if possible regarding the K545 compared to the HP50. I have searched this thread/site and found some info/comparisons. but I'm still interest to hear some more opinions. 

In short, from what I can gather the K545 has a fuller bass presentation with more emphasis in the sub bass region but this is traded off by having a slightly smaller soundstage and separation is not as defined as the HP50. They sound like they are fairly similar in the mids and maybe the AKG has more sparkle in the highs and less warmth than the HP50 overall. If anyone can offer up some insight that would be much appreciated!

Cheers   

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #1,065 of 1,753
  Hi K545 owners,

I am looking for some input if possible regarding the K545 compared to the HP50. I have searched this thread/site and found some info/comparisons. but I'm still interest to hear some more opinions. 

In short, from what I can gather the K545 has a fuller bass presentation with more emphasis in the sub bass region but this is traded off by having a slightly smaller soundstage and separation is not as defined as the HP50. They sound like they are fairly similar in the mids and maybe the AKG has more sparkle in the highs and less warmth than the HP50 overall. If anyone can offer up some insight that would be much appreciated!

Cheers   

you might want to double check the bass part I thought the p50 has the fuller bass. never heard it thoguh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back