AKG new headphone K545?
Jan 21, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #931 of 1,753

It might be the driver they are using.  It sounds like it could be an issue similar to Focal's which caused a similar issue.  The cause was that the drivers crinkled, but never uncrinkled due to pressure.  If this is the issue, no color is safe from this sort of defect. 

Hope it's not this. I've got a couple of days left before I have to decide if they are going back. I'm trying to decide between the 551's and the 545's. After using them for a week, they are very different sounding headphones. The 551 wins in overall clarity and clean soundstage. I'm still undecided but the 545 may have a "tad" nicer midrange..it's a bit more forward. The problem I have with the 545 is it just sounds congested after the 551.

The 545's would be my walk around outside headphone but I'm more and more happy with my Amperiors for that. The Amperiors after about 30 hours of playback are starting to sound much smoother.

Regarding build quality I would say the hinges on my 545 don't feel as well put together as the 551's. They creak a bit where the 551 are more smooth and silent.

Tough decision!

Jan 21, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #932 of 1,753
I suspect the K545 is using either the same or only slightly modified driver as the K550 with with slightly different dampening materials and the slightly smaller cup so do not expect they are having a drive design issue.

Jan 21, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #933 of 1,753
Just came back from Best Buy with the last black K545's. Thankfully, they don't distort in bass sweep tests and sound balanced. I really dig the all black stealth color scheme. I still love Orange. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #937 of 1,753
Would anyone characterized these as lean and or clean sounding? Relative to the Momentum, 1R, UE6000, M100? I prefer a bit of a lean character. Flat bass is optimal, but I can easily use EQ to reduce bass.

I hate thick sound sigs.

Jan 21, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #938 of 1,753
Would anyone characterized these as lean and or clean sounding? Relative to the Momentum, 1R, UE6000, M100? I prefer a bit of a lean character. Flat bass is optimal, but I can easily use EQ to reduce bass.

I hate thick sound sigs.

Way more lean and clean than the Momentum, and yet still north of neutral. Its a nice balance. 

Jan 21, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #940 of 1,753

I hate thick sound sigs.

this is the one for you. stay away from the mdr7520 then. the bass is more than the k550 but it is only in volume not impact or punch. less bass than momentum.

Jan 21, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #942 of 1,753
  Really?  I pictured the MDR 7520 sounding cleaner.

I'm not much of a momentum fan, but a lot of people have heard them so they're a good point of reference.

it is to me a little. its just that it has:
1. narrower soundstage
2. more lower mids(not overdone)
3. more mid bass
4. less treble

= a more thick sound by comparison. the mid bass and lower mids are the biggest reason for this. 

Jan 21, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #944 of 1,753
  The MDR7520 has a ton of bass. Its really clean bass, but there is a lot of it. More than the Momentum.

+1 but to be honest that is a stronghold for the 7520. I can't clearly name a more textured bass that I have heard on a closed back. It makes the k545 sound tucked in and gentle. 

but of all the closed ones I have heard the k545 would be called clean because it has nothing sloppy about it or forward, even the really bright treble isnt what I would say is forceful. It however sounds full enough for me to thoroughly enjoy it and groove out. unlike the k550 which I couldnt get with. 

In the comparison I wrote before I would change nothing about the k545... only thing I would change now is that the yamaha actually needs tons of burn in and is just as, if not more transparent to me now. but with way too  much bass for trunks.

Jan 21, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #945 of 1,753
  it is to me a little. its just that it has:
1. narrower soundstage
2. more lower mids(not overdone)
3. more mid bass
4. less treble

= a more thick sound by comparison. the mid bass and lower mids are the biggest reason for this. 

These are the qualities I most dislike usually in headphones.  Lookin good.  The seal seems to be the problem, since I've had a problem with the seals of many closed cans (namely the momentum, DT770, UE6000, Fidelio L1, but not the K550).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back