AKG new headphone K545?
Jan 14, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #871 of 1,753
I measured the cup of the K545 and compared it to the existing K550 measurement pictures on Head-fi back when I did my review and they were only off by a few mm at most. If I get some time I will take a picture with a ruler.

hahah... thanks! a few millimeters actually makes a big difference for some people. like anything 14-15mm deep, I can't stand to wear for more than 30min. at 17-18mm, they are more comfortable. at 20mm+, i can wear em all day.

what I noticed via the direct comparison wear test was the the k550 cups seemed deeper with a wider diameter. this kind of change can be model-specific/headband clampingness-dependent as well I guess, so obviously i defer to a objective ruler test. just wanted to throw out my subjective comfort impressions after finally trying em.

I would like to go back & demo more with my own source files + dac sometime, but i unexpectedly ended up near best buy today doing errands, so i cldn't resist.

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #872 of 1,753
I went from K550 to K545 without looking back. However, the portability is not my first criterion, but the sound quality. The K545 is really good. It lacks a little something on the K550, it is too ethereal and lack of bass (although I am very far from being a basshead). IMO.
Maybe the K550 is better if you only listen to classical music... and I'm not sure.

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #873 of 1,753
I need isolation at home because dorm rooms are so loud! Looks like I will be leaning towards the K550. Do they respond well to EQ if they come off too bright/bump the low end without ruining their clarity?

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #874 of 1,753
I need isolation at home because dorm rooms are so loud! Looks like I will be leaning towards the K550. Do they respond well to EQ if they come off too bright/bump the low end without ruining their clarity?

They respond really well to EQ; won't create harsh or whatsoever unless you over done it. But if you need extreme isolation, look into IEM as they isolate much more :)

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #875 of 1,753
I have decent Shure IEM's. I just want to make sure about the K550's because I see some reviews they have a rich, deep bass when amped and EQ and some that say it's too bright and thin to even bother listening to!

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #877 of 1,753
Didn't know best buy has the HD598. I only see the 558.

you might be right about that. i actually don't remember which sennheiser it was, i wasn't really interested lol. i really was just using the sennheiser hd5xx as a control. (like when sometimes you think some sound change is due to the headphones, but turns out to just be the source file?) i will update my post

Jan 14, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #879 of 1,753
dweaver
I just re-stumbled across your review of the K545 in which you said that the soundstage is not as big as the K550 but it is not abnormally large either as some other closed headphones you have listened to.

Is that to say that sometimes the soundstage can be TOO big? Is this what people mean by headphones having an artificial soundstage?

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #881 of 1,753
I wish I had the gmp 8.35 d to compare to these. From memory I would like them more than the sony mdr 7520. the bass is more textured than the k545 but has the same quantity. THe k545 has a one note kind of bass that is heard but not felt. I am really growing fond of its clarity though. Its a great hp. 

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #882 of 1,753
For Dolby Surround when watching films, headphones or IEMs?

I am thinking of going with IEMs instead because of the isolation and also they are extremely detailed if chosen correctly obviously. Do you think IEMs are able to replicate surround sound or are headphones a lot better.

Jan 14, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #884 of 1,753

Users who are viewing this thread

Back