AKG new headphone K545?
Jan 12, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #856 of 1,753
  The onslaught of portable headphones that sound great is killing me... 
basshead.gif

that is why for me it becomes of matter of comfort and looks because a lot of them will do sound wise. Time to land these planes. 

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #857 of 1,753
I guess i am just lucky, because the K545 is so comfortable and I love how it looks, plus it has the best balance I have heard for a closed headphone. I have yet to hear a headphone I like more and I have been fortunate to hear pretty much all of the competitors.

By the way I have to admit I have had the occasional break in seal if I turn my head a lot as noticed by others but I am not to bothered by this phenomenon as it is only temporary as after about a 1/2 hour of use I start to have a bit of humidity develop on the cups which actually helps make the seal better and less likely to break while never really bothering me in regards to getting to hot or humid.

Jan 13, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #858 of 1,753
So after a significant amount of time do you find that the sound has changed with burn in? Also, why do people always expect headphones to become better with time, the sound quality could also become worse..

Jan 13, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #859 of 1,753
So after a significant amount of time do you find that the sound has changed with burn in? Also, why do people always expect headphones to become better with time, the sound quality could also become worse..

I can't think of a time I've ever heard a headphone change its sounds from the initial sound. I have learned to appreciate a headphone's nuances more as time goes though. 

Jan 13, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #860 of 1,753
Now having third thoughts on what to get! What is the best headphone for soundstage?
What is the best for imaging also.
As you can tell, I'm all about my bloody soundstage and imaging I know.

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #862 of 1,753
I am really having trouble deciding between the K550's and K545's.

I just bought the Fiio E10 to go with my macbook pro using a system wide EQ program called boom (btw I love that program, performs wonderfully). 

I am currently using my HD439's bc they are my best closed backs I own at the moment (I own HD558's but in college dorms it's just not worth it). I really want that soundstage and instrument separation while still having a warm sound to it. Will my E10 warm up the K550's and retain it's clarity? Or would the K545 be the overall better option? Either of these will be my primary at home cans, I will not travel with them. 

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #863 of 1,753

I just bought the Fiio E10 to go with my macbook pro using a system wide EQ program called boom (btw I love that program, performs wonderfully). 

I am currently using my HD439's bc they are my best closed backs I own at the moment (I own HD558's but in college dorms it's just not worth it). I really want that soundstage and instrument separation while still having a warm sound to it. Will my E10 warm up the K550's and retain it's clarity? Or would the K545 be the overall better option? Either of these will be my primary at home cans, I will not travel with them. 

Having owned the HD439, K550 and K545, I'd give the nod to the K545. I can't remember anything I liked about the K550 that the K545 doesn't have...and what I didn't like about the K550 (some spikey treble) the K545 does not have ball. The K545 is easier to get a good seal on the bass with, too. I think its also the more balanced of the two headphones. But either you choose, the K550 or the K545, they're both a nice improvement over the HD439; both are less warm than the HD439...imo, in a good way. 

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #864 of 1,753

Hi I've got the 550, 551 and now the 545. I think there is product variation in the same models so take my comments with a grain of salt.

The pair I love is the 551. It has the best soundstage of the 3. I wanted a closed back for walking around and coffee shop use but I feel pretty self conscious in the 551. I thought the 545 would be perfect but it's not. Well, it's perfect in terms of looks, I wouldn't feel silly..:)

The 545 just doesn't seem very special to me. With the 551 I get "lost" in the music. It's hard to describe but with the 551 I don't feel like I'm listening to the music, more that I'm just enjoying it. With the 545 the soundstage feels boxy and on my sample the high end doesn't sparkle as much as the 551. Snare drum cracks don't sound quite right on nthe 545. The net effect for me is that the 545, while very good makes me focus on the 545 and not on the music. The 551 does not have this issue for me.

Having said all of this I may end up keeping the 545 simply because it is very good for a portable headphone.

Also to echo dweaver I did notice the same things as him regarding seal. I at first complained that when I moved my head just a little bit the seal on the 545's would break giving a hollow sound momentarily. Just like dweaver though, while out walking around and a little humidity build up I noticed the seal was fine. Either it's that or the memory foam takes a while to snug down. Oh, regarding comfort, the 545's are fine for me, but the 551 is even more comfy. The 551 has none of the pad setting issue for me regarding getting a seal and it doesn't break the seal if I'm moving my head around.

So, sorry to confuse you even more. I think you need them both..:) I'm trying to convince myself I can be satisfied with just the 545, but I don't think I can. It's great for out and about, but at home the 551 is just more gratifying. 

Oh, the sources I'm running thru while out and about have been Fiio X3 (flac and mp3), iPhone 5s and Classic iPod 160gig.

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #867 of 1,753
  Having owned the HD439, K550 and K545, I'd give the nod to the K545. I can't remember anything I liked about the K550 that the K545 doesn't have...and what I didn't like about the K550 (some spikey treble) the K545 does not have ball. The K545 is easier to get a good seal on the bass with, too. I think its also the more balanced of the two headphones. But either you choose, the K550 or the K545, they're both a nice improvement over the HD439; both are less warm than the HD439...imo, in a good way. 

I would think that it would depend on your usage patterns. If you require portability, then the AKG k545. Otherwise, if you simply need at home-use closed noise isolation, the AKG k550. If you are simply looking for headphones (don't care about sound isolation or portability), I would personally recommend looking at open headphones options such as the Sennheiser HD598 vs AKG Q701 (K701/K702) vs Beyer dt880/dt990 if you are trying to stay at the $200ish price range.

note: i did a comparison demo at best buy between the K550 vs K545 vs Sennheiser (HD558? - was black & open, don't remember the model name, but just used it as a kinda control lol). Since the listening conditions are not ideal, I will not make any in-depth comments on the sound quality, but from a quick direct A/B, the K550 definitely has a better sound stage than the K545. The treble between the two models were also different as was the bass. I won't say if the difference was positive or negative, but the sound signature was definitely different between the two. Note the Sennheiser Momentum ON-ears had more bass quantity than all the k550, k545, and sennheiser hd5xx?.

In terms of fit, the K550 has larger earcups than the K545. However, if you have a smaller head, the k545 can fit better on smaller heads as I've always found the k550 just a tad too large at the tightest settings & slight trouble with the seal (note this can be remedied by squeezing the headband a bit).

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #868 of 1,753
The inner ear diameter is just about the same between the K550 and K545 (maybe a couple mm different). For home use alone, if sound stage is the most important aspect I would go Q701 mixed with either a DAC/tube amp like the Aune T1 or a solid state DAC/amp like the Audioengine D1. If you need isolation the K550, if you need portability the K545. If you need 1 headphone to do everything then I think the K545 is the best compromise of sound, form, and function.

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #869 of 1,753
The inner ear diameter is just about the same between the K550 and K545 (maybe a couple mm different). For home use alone, if sound stage is the most important aspect I would go Q701 mixed with either a DAC/tube amp like the Aune T1 or a solid state DAC/amp like the Audioengine D1. If you need isolation the K550, if you need portability the K545. If you need 1 headphone to do everything then I think the K545 is the best compromise of sound, form, and function.

mmm... I actually feel like they are different from my personal wearing experience. I cannot say for sure as I did not measure any dimensions, but the k550 earcups seemed roomier to me. Of course, that can be due to the headband fit or just the specific model I was trying on. If someone added a k545 earcup measurement picture to this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/653032/size-matters-earpad-hole-measurements-for-over-ear-headphones#post_9217526 - we will know for sure.

However, I can definitely say that from trying on both headphones, the specific model of K545 on display fits me personally better & its headband closes down more for smaller heads than the display model of the K550. lol.

Jan 14, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #870 of 1,753
I measured the cup of the K545 and compared it to the existing K550 measurement pictures on Head-fi back when I did my review and they were only off by a few mm at most. If I get some time I will take a picture with a ruler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back