AKG new headphone K545?
Dec 16, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #571 of 1,753
The nice thing is that the treble detail is not at the expense of harshness or an unnatural quality.

I can't comment on the NAD yet but that review mirrors my take pretty closely. Glad others are hearing them like I do, it makes me feel good to know I am not off the mark in my review and posts.

Dec 17, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #572 of 1,753
It has just occurred to me that when comparing a high impedance headphone such as the Q701, because it needs to be driven with an amp it will sound a lot better.

When comparing the K545 with the Q701, have you tried comparing them to each other with the same amp? Because I noticed dweaver you exclaimed you were listening without an amp.

I believe this to be unfair. How do they stack up on the same input for that matter?

Dec 17, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #573 of 1,753
iv been following this and i think id like the k545's . its just they are still expensive in the uk . ill have to see what my post christmass funds are looking like :) .... and the q701 whatevers are 62ohm , however i find mine need more juice than the 55ohm k271's. not exactly high z .

Dec 17, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #574 of 1,753
It has just occurred to me that when comparing a high impedance headphone such as the Q701, because it needs to be driven with an amp it will sound a lot better.

When comparing the K545 with the Q701, have you tried comparing them to each other with the same amp? Because I noticed dweaver you exclaimed you were listening without an amp.

I believe this to be unfair. How do they stack up on the same input for that matter?

Good question. I NEVER use my Q701 from my portable sources because it sounds wrong. When I compare the Q701 I do so from my desktop with amp/dac configuration.

To make more sense:

K545 from phone has more bass than Q701 from desktop rig. K545 from desktop rig has even more bass than Q701and is more balanced sounding than K545 from phone. Q701 is larger sounding and more airy than K545 no matter which source the K545 is plugged in to.

Dec 17, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #575 of 1,753
The balance, clarity and refinement of the K545 is almost unheard of in its price range. Might be my favourite AKG ever (haven't heard the 712, 812 or K1000 though).

Dec 17, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #577 of 1,753
  The balance, clarity and refinement of the K545 is almost unheard of in its price range. Might be my favourite AKG ever (haven't heard the 712, 812 or K1000 though).

blink.gif

I would like to see how you would compare them to the momentum, kef, and NAD Visio. 

I have one on the way myself... but am scared when I put it under scrutiny I might nitpick its bass. I did like it in the store though but it wasn't what grabbed me. What you mentioned is what grabbed me... the clarity. 

Do you think it's clarity/transparency bested the 7520? My memory has the 7520 as the more forward but less transparent hp, and I assume it has more details(transparency and details not being synonyms).

Dec 17, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #578 of 1,753
  Damn you guys.  This isn't what I need right now.  I guess I have to check them out (I've been procastinating a lot).  I just hope they're not good!

That hope will be destroyed.

match them up against your KEF and TIESTO and let the worst go.
biggrin.gif
and report back to us. As of now the k545 is a minority headphone it seems. But both visits told me it shouldn't be and made me pull the trigger.

Dec 17, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #579 of 1,753
K545 is more spacious and has better clarity and detail compared to the 7520, to my ears. The bass is there when required, not omnipresent and overcooked. Some music sources can sound bright because they are bright. On the other hand, I listened to vinyl and it sounded warm and musical, and the dynamics remained intact. In comparison, NAD HP50 would be a bit more laid back in the midrange, KEF rolled at the FR extremes, and the Momentum I will have to revisit.

Dec 17, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #580 of 1,753
  K545 is more spacious and has better clarity and detail compared to the 7520, to my ears. The bass is there when required, not omnipresent and overcooked. Some music sources can sound bright because they are bright. On the other hand, I listened to vinyl and it sounded warm and musical, and the dynamics remained intact. In comparison, NAD HP50 would be a bit more laid back in the midrange, KEF rolled at the FR extremes, and the Momentum I will have to revisit.

Sounds like you are including the sub-bass in that statement, which I offhand find surprising since I find the bass/sub-bass to extend so well with the M500's.

Found these graphs (not sure of accuracy):

K545:
http://stereos.about.com/od/Headphone-Reviews/ss/AKG-K545-Headphone-Measurements.htm

M500:
http://en.goldenears.net/23944

Edit: I maybe should have instead shown this M500 FR graph:

Dec 17, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #581 of 1,753

woooo strong words lol.

so to be even more assertive and frank... out of the mentioned how would you place them in order of preference? I know from a previous run in that you don't like bass heavy headphones. 
I know the k545 is more spacious than the 7520(a lot of hp's are) but I will test the details. I also find it very believable for the k545 to have more clarity/transparency.

Dec 17, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #582 of 1,753

every time he hears a new pair of headphones... lol #ride dat hypetrain

edit: but if you're referring to razerdog's $200 price though, that is a pretty solid deal.

Dec 17, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #584 of 1,753
  funny that the k545 doesn't have much of a hype train at the moment....If it does it barely started right now..The other thing is that since the momentum a lot of hp's have stepped their game up. 

hahah yea... the k545 is really underhyped right now. it wasn't even on my radar & im usually all over sub-$300 closed, portable headphones.

competition really brings out the best in the market. hopefully, it'll help drive prices down rather than the other way around. akg is pretty legit b/c their headphones are usually very fairly priced & you can find very well-made products discounted after some time.

Dec 17, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #585 of 1,753
  hahah yea... the k545 is really underhyped right now. it wasn't even on my radar & im usually all over sub-$300 closed, portable headphones.

competition really brings out the best in the market. hopefully, it'll help drive prices down rather than the other way around. akg is pretty legit b/c their headphones are usually very fairly priced & you can find very well-made products discounted after some time.

true indeed.(k712 got put on hold until the price drops) 199 with the code at razordog is a definite, specially when it bests the momentum imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back