AKG K812 Pro
Oct 30, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #4,501 of 4,825

I just received my (shorter) custom cable for my K812’s from Oidio Sound :)

I’ve been looking for one for a long time and these guys were really helpful.

(The blue on the cable also matches the driver colour pretty closely)

I think this cable is a good improvement.
Are there any improvements possible with this akg k812.
On forums with HD 800 and T1, improvement tweaks are regularly presented with damping and so on.
Or is the K812 not yet discovered for this

Oct 30, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #4,502 of 4,825
I`ve bought a DarkVoice 336SE OTL tube amplifier and tested it with the k812. To my pleasant surprise it has more then enough power to drive the cans and it takes care of the k812s bump at 3.5 and 6 Khz.
The only downside is that I feel that I`m loosing some soundstage. Everything seems more intimate when using the tube amp.

<br class="Apple-interchange-newline"><div></div>

460/5000

By coincidence I use the dark voice 339 for the K812.
The sound reproduction is, as you say, very, yes very good and powerful.
The big advantage is the use of the tubes which can certainly influence the sound.
The 6as7 tubes sound very full and spacious with the K812 while the 6080 tubes sound very fast and tight but a little too bright to my taste.
But tube amps are certainly very suitable for these headphones.
I like this sound very much from the K812
I`ve bought a DarkVoice 336SE OTL tube amplifier and tested it with the k812. To my pleasant surprise it has more then enough power to drive the cans and it takes care of the k812s bump at 3.5 and 6 Khz.
The only downside is that I feel that I`m loosing some soundstage. Everything seems more intimate when using the tube amp.

Oct 31, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #4,503 of 4,825
Hi,
I've ordered some tung-sol 6SN7 tubes and am waiting to receive them to start rolling tubes.
Although everybody told me to stay away from OTL amps on low impedance headphones I can report the both k812 and Oppo PM-2 are behaving spectacularly on the DV 336SE.
My set-up is OPPO HA-1 as Dac and DV 336SE - Amp.
I want to note that if I set the OPPO to simply bypass the volume is too much for the amp. So there is plenty reserve even for a 32 Ohm can as the PM-2.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #4,505 of 4,825
Nov 19, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #4,507 of 4,825
Just out of curiosity for balanced, when I had the Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier, which got returned, because of quite unrealistic bass behaviour, but mids were magnificant.

Now I have Dragonfly Red and Teac AI-301DA combo, which is the best so far i had out from K812. Very smooth result, even the stereo picture is not too wide, but everything feels very comfortable and easy to digest. Bass is having massive size and goes deep, and treble is smooth as silk in every track, so not too revealing anymore but very pleasant experience over all. Teac add mids more closer which fits well to DF Red, which is boosting the dynamics that Teac itself is lacking. As a result lower mids feel a bit dusty but there is no 100%, right?

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #4,508 of 4,825
I'm testing the Sonarworks Reference 4 for headphones with the DAC/Amp combo and i have to say this is getting better and better as a reference purposes at least. Now i see how much K812 has the treble in front from the beginning, while it is adding some serious air, but makes the sound a much thinner.. One problem is, when using same headphones for longer period, they become more comfortable, also the faults. Now with correction i can hear many areas in a lot of tracks that could be improved by mixing. So K812 has a huge potential to be reference headphone with the right setup and correction.

Nov 26, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #4,510 of 4,825
something with a bigger soundstage than K712 would be nice.

no problem, just improve your existing K712:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/hea...iversary-q701-k712-symmetric-post5610999.html

Its not only about soundstage.
With this modification you will get kind a AKG ueberflieger actually, I'm pretty sure to easily compete with the stock K812, though admittedly I have had no opportunity to compare.
As long as there is no K812 4-wire, which is unlikely to surface, this might be the best you could get ever.

Myself considering the K812, but I'm reluctant to find out the hard way how to dig into this one, to get the 4-wire mod done with that strange inside wiring.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #4,514 of 4,825
I'm on the lookout for used HD800 in Canada, but there are none for sale right now. There are, however, used K812 for $799 CAD, or $605 USD. This seems like a great deal, but I am worried that the K812 won't excel with classical music like the HD800 do. I have other cans for other styles of music I listen to. Can anyone speak to how the K812 compare to HD800 for classical?

Dec 3, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #4,515 of 4,825
The sound of the AKG K812 PRO is more immediate relative to the more distant HD800. AKG K812 is also slightly fuller sounding and less relaxed in its presentation.
I had both side by side for some years and although both are very good (superlative in some regards) I've gravitated more towards the AKG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back