AKG K812 Pro
Mar 19, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #4,816 of 4,825
Have you tried aftermarket sheepskin leather earpads on the K812, they affect the sound?
Which? I don't know about more .....

Mar 19, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #4,818 of 4,825
I bought one of these leathe pads some time ago.
Did not like them. Way too much bloated bass. I don't remember the problem, but I did not like the sound at all. Soundstage was gone. The fit is horrible compared to the original pads (I did not find a phone which better fitted my ears)

Mar 19, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #4,819 of 4,825
€ 1.177 :flag_at:
https://www.thomann.de/at/akg_k_812.htm

Mine is an early bird made by AKG in Vienna - and I almost wanted to sell it, but I'm still keeping it. Recently compared K812, DT1990, Composer.
Mounted a mesh from the K872 on K812 pads, own 2 sets of pads. Unfortunately, the edges that rest against the skin have become hard over time.
or get another set of genuine AKG K812 pads - they're expensive, however. I did that.
How did the K812 with the K872 mesh sound compared with the Composer?

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #4,822 of 4,825
Written together from various listening sessions - this is my personal feeling and opinion and not an absolute judgment!

Composer - Frequency response mids and bass almost straight. The bass goes far down, powerful, very dry sounding. Clear mids, fine definition. Treble without sibilants, almost silky like electrostatics, mids and highs finely marked. Stage wide, but slightly less spacious than K812. More demanding of attention. Wearing comfort, very good. Overall number one in this comparison.

DT1990 with analytic pads - bass doesn't go down as far, from around 100 Hz up to the treble the sound balance is about the same as Composer, not quite the fine detail and selectivity as Composer. Treble is sometimes overly emphasized (Beyer peak), but is only noticeable with certain pieces of music.
DT1990 with balanced pads - bass doesn't go down as far but has an increase in the mid-bass, which makes the sound seem a little warmer. The middle is about the same as with analytic pads, the highs are sometimes a little emphasized (Beyer peak), but this is only noticeable with certain pieces of music, not as strong as with analytic pads.
Overall the stage is a bit more intimate. Wearing comfort good to very good. DT1990 with balanced pads sounds warmer than the other two and is also suitable for long listening with suitable music or with a little EQ.

K812 with additional mesh - is the most open, wide stage sounding. Bass goes down very low but not as deep and powerful as Composer. Clear in the middle. Trebles also sometimes tend to be sibilants. The peak is about 1 kHz lower than the DT1990. Stage furthest. Comfortable to wear because it is heavy and the edges of the pads press on the skin.

Oratory1990 AE Composer   Beyer DT1990.jpeg

Oratory1990 Composer : K812.jpeg

Beyerdynamic DT1990 (Balanced Earpads).png

Mar 22, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #4,824 of 4,825
So the K812 pro still worth buying in 2024 @ £700? Other similar open back headphones at same price?
The K812 and the K872 are unique sounding and were designed from the ground up by the AKG team to be used has a higher end monitoring tool and IMHO are as valid today as they were when first released. With regards to what is currently in "fashion" sound wise, well that comes and goes, and when compared to the Boutique style phones that go for looks, comfort and easy listening and an even heftier price point, Focal, ZMF, etc the cooler analytical AKGs may be even less popular but now we have the Composer from the same design team, I'll stick with my K872s for now. :sunglasses:

Mar 31, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #4,825 of 4,825
So the K812 pro still worth buying in 2024 @ £700? Other similar open back headphones at same price?
Get yourself to a shop that sells the AKG K812/872 headphones. and listen for yourself, or get along to a headphone meet or show. Asking question after question without doing anything yourself won’t get you anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back