AKG K812 Pro
Feb 26, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #1,487 of 4,825
From reading a lot of reviews on these cans they sound like a big let-down which is a shame because they look really comfortable too.

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #1,488 of 4,825
You should always listen to the headphone with your own equipment and music selection.
Previous to making a joke of the AKG K812, he also made a joke of the Ultrasone ED10, which many here at head-fi tried and enjoyed.

I dunno, but exactly what I expected based on his earlier posting.  Of course he provide much more detail about what he was hearing and how that matched up to
the measurements.  Definitely a strong stand against the product... at the given price and possibly at any price.

On the other hand, this won't keep me from auditioning when that becomes possible. :)  I find Tyll's reviews to be excellent and thoughtful, but I also know that products
he prefers are often not the right ones for me.  Different flaws and strengths are experienced differently by different listeners.  Of course.

People are often so overwhelmed by the positive aspects of a headphones performance that they tend to over look the flaws, at least initially. I own over 40 sets of headphones and they are all flawed but they are all fun to listen to. So have fun.

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #1,489 of 4,825
Tyll's review was excellent, as always, balanced and fair. He rocks!

I know that the objective/subjective debate typically pits charts and graphs against listening impressions, but my point is that that's just one version of objectivity--an overrated version! 

Only the listener experiences the music, and if he coolly, calmly, and objectively listens to what he hears, unswayed by price tags and the opinions of others, he arrives at an objective evaluation of the equipment. No one can do this for him. He must do it himself. 

So I really wish it were easier for me to objectively evaluate the K812s! I want to get my hands on a pair and dispassionately (objectively) compare them to the HD 800s.

So a major US dealer like Crutchfield will let you return headphones? Anyone have experience with them?

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #1,490 of 4,825
It's one review. Doesn't make me any less interested in hearing them. If anything, my interest is so peaked right now because of it. No reason to let the thread turn from excitement to everyone holding each other saying, "It'll be ok."

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #1,492 of 4,825
I just took the time to read Tyll's review more slowly and more carefully. I think I skimmed it initially and went straight to the video (which was good).
It's very well written and I have to say well done Tyll.
beerchug.gif
I can tell you honestly spent a lot of time pondering the K812, and I'm sure it wasn't easy to go against the many to say what you felt was true. I had no idea you did not consider the T1 a flagship. Haha. I think certain pirates also don't consider it anywhere near a flagship.
evil_smiley.gif

Even though I did not hear the same problems you mentioned I can appreciate your review and frank approach.

Like you mentioned in the comments, perhaps AKG will re-evaluate the K812 and try to fix things up a bit like Focal did with their Spirit One.

It's too bad I don't have my K812 right now. I would like to try the same tracks you mentioned and see if I hear the same thing. My one week with them didn't really reveal any stridency in the lower-treble for me though. I honestly think every headphone from now, flagship or otherwise, should sound just like the Spirit Pro (tonality wise). The neutrality is just addictive.

*Btw, I love the balls of the AKG rep who told you to review it anyway. Haha. If I was the CEO of AKG I wouldn't be happy about that decision.
very_evil_smiley.gif
Honestly, I would have had my engineers in Austria handpick one for you and send it to you using next-day worldwide shipping.

Feb 27, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #1,493 of 4,825
Did Tyll already finish the goldeneartest?
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/audiophile-workout-philips-golden-ears-training
I wonder, that he did not mention it. It should be easy for people who hear tiny differences.

Feb 27, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #1,494 of 4,825
Just saw the Inner Fidelity review as well. I like it when the reviewer says "It's kind of confusing sounding in the treble". That is exactly what I heard too and what makes this a "nogo" for me. Also I find everything but the sound and price (hence the design, fit, solidity etc) quite a bit nicer than the HD800... Damn... In the end soundquality wins...

Feb 27, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #1,495 of 4,825
It is simple. For studio applications you'd use the HD800 over the K812 because the HD800 is better at resolving detail in the treble. For people that aren't looking for headphones for professional use they should just go to a store, audition and pick what they like best while also considering cheaper alternatives. What you like isn't about price it is about what you enjoy the most.

K812 are controversial because they are expensive and perform worse at their intended task of being used by audio professionals than their cheaper competitor the HD800. This once again raises the question of the kilobuck headphone and whether they can justify their price. A pointless topic to argue on because it comes down to subjective opinions on value.

Tyll's opinions are backed up by the objective measurements which is how it should be. The distortion is there regardless of whether you can hear it. Perhaps, that isn't a bad thing if you only intend to use them for enjoyable listening. If Tyll had two faulty pairs (unlikely to begin with) AKG would be sending out a new pair real quick. As they haven't we know that the measurements are in line with the tolerances of the manufacturing process. This means that what Tyll measured is what you are going to get with some small variation.

There is not much more to discuss. All that has been needed to be said has been said.

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #1,497 of 4,825
  It is simple. For studio applications you'd use the HD800 over the K812 because the HD800 is better at resolving detail in the treble. For people that aren't looking for headphones for professional use they should just go to a store, audition and pick what they like best while also considering cheaper alternatives. What you like isn't about price it is about what you enjoy the most.

K812 are controversial because they are expensive and perform worse at their intended task of being used by audio professionals than their cheaper competitor the HD800. This once again raises the question of the kilobuck headphone and whether they can justify their price. A pointless topic to argue on because it comes down to subjective opinions on value.

Tyll's opinions are backed up by the objective measurements which is how it should be. The distortion is there regardless of whether you can hear it. Perhaps, that isn't a bad thing if you only intend to use them for enjoyable listening. If Tyll had two faulty pairs (unlikely to begin with) AKG would be sending out a new pair real quick. As they haven't we know that the measurements are in line with the tolerances of the manufacturing process. This means that what Tyll measured is what you are going to get with some small variation.

There is not much more to discuss. All that has been needed to be said has been said.

That sums it up in a nutshell. One needs to audition the K812 and see whether or not it is suitable to their tastes and worth the money.

Feb 28, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #1,498 of 4,825
From reading a lot of reviews on these cans they sound like a big let-down which is a shame because they look really comfortable too.

Just discovered that synergy may be the problem and the solution to enjoying the K812's. With my Atlas Element Asymmetric Integra interconnects, the treble on the K812's have piercing highs that made it quite annoying/painful to listen to. After swapping to the stock cables that came with my Arcam irDac, those piercing highs are gone and the sound is enjoyable.

Feb 28, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #1,499 of 4,825

Just discovered that synergy may be the problem and the solution to enjoying the K812's. With my Atlas Element Asymmetric Integra interconnects, the treble on the K812's have piercing highs that made it quite annoying/painful to listen to. After swapping to the stock cables that came with my Arcam irDac, those piercing highs are gone and the sound is enjoyable.

It probably is because when I heard the K812 it didn't have treble issues and was one of the best sounding headphones I've heard. I found the smallest things can sometimes have drastic effects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back