AKG K812 Pro
Feb 28, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #1,516 of 4,825
Thanks for your support Nomax and the tip on the SPL. Took me a bit of time to get a review unit, but I'm glad I did because the K812 sounds amazing with the Phonitor2. I sent the Phonitor2 to our staff member Kevin a few days ago for his part of the reivew . I now have separation anxiety.
frown.gif

And congrats on your 2000th post!

Mar 1, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #1,520 of 4,825
How is the dynamic range on these? Also is it good at low volumes? Does it play well and still let you hear all the details on low volume? I've been thinking about getting a good closed back for work, but I brought my HD800 to work today and found I could play them at low volumes (~65 dB) and not really leak or disturb anyone. And the sound was still phenomenal! Now I want something of the HD800 caliber at work.

Anyone? Especially at lower volumes. I found the HD800 still was able to discern the full dynamic range, even the quiet parts in classical and at low volumes. How is the K812 in this regard? I really want this sound quality at work.

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #1,521 of 4,825
Anyone? Especially at lower volumes. I found the HD800 still was able to discern the full dynamic range, even the quiet parts in classical and at low volumes. How is the K812 in this regard? I really want this sound quality at work.

The sound quality on the quiet parts of classical music is excellent, equal to or better than the HD800. For example, this evening I've been listening to a wonderful new recording on ECM Records by composer Victor Kissene,"Between Two Waves", for piano,percussion and orchestra. There are also 2other pieces on the disc featuring a Duo of Viola and Violincello, and the other with Gidon Kremer on the Violin with percussion and orchestra. The pieces are presented on the Lk812 with all the beauty inherent in the recording. No high frequency confusion or harshness, with a big, natural sounding soundstage. This music is very modern but a must hear for classical music fans, and pure delight for the listener on the 812. All in all a showcase recording for any headphone aficionado who loves contemporary classical music.

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #1,522 of 4,825

Dynamic range isn't exactly its forte. Not bad or anything, very very good actually, but I've heard better from planars so it's not the last word on that particular area. I think this is somewhat related to "slam factor," although I realize it's not the same thing. I usually listen at moderate volumes to save my hearing for later years, but I didn't really do any low volume listening, so not sure how they're like if the volume is quite low.

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #1,523 of 4,825
I posted my video review on YouTube. I'll embed it here when I get to my Mac.

We will have our dual impressions review on Audio360 very soon.

Hello,

thanks for the nice review! I heard the AKG also with the Lehmann Linear SE and the SPL Phonitor 2 and i full agree with your experience. The K812 is a phenominal headphone and in my ears the best dynamic on the market!
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #1,524 of 4,825
So early remarks noted these play well even off a smartphone unlike many other flagships. However, people have recently mentioned top shelf amps like the Phonitor 2 to really make a difference. Another big thing holding me back is that I really don't have an amp for something low impedance like this. Realistically, I would want something portable so currently I have the Schiit Vali and Audioengine D3 that I could use with these. Would it be a waste to buy these and not really have a great amp?

Mar 1, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #1,525 of 4,825
The sound quality on the quiet parts of classical music is excellent, equal to or better than the HD800. For example, this evening I've been listening to a wonderful new recording on ECM Records by composer Victor Kissene,"Between Two Waves", for piano,percussion and orchestra. There are also 2other pieces on the disc featuring a Duo of Viola and Violincello, and the other with Gidon Kremer on the Violin with percussion and orchestra. The pieces are presented on the Lk812 with all the beauty inherent in the recording. No high frequency confusion or harshness, with a big, natural sounding soundstage. This music is very modern but a must hear for classical music fans, and pure delight for the listener on the 812. All in all a showcase recording for any headphone aficionado who loves contemporary classical music.

I'm sorry but that doesn't help me because I don't know the record. (In general, reviewers pick some pretty non-mainstream references, so I just have to skip that part of the review.) That's why I had to ask:

Tyll writes: "In my opinion, this confusion and harshness in the treble when lots of high-frequency information is present [. . .] disqualifies them as a high-end headphone for enthusiasts because it's unpleasant. [. . .] when the music has a complex treble, it's harsh uncontrolled frequency response between 3kHz and 10kHz reveals itself as a fatal flaw to my ears."

Does anyone who has heard K812 know how this would affect classical music (including solo piano)? Any specific pieces it could be a real problem with?

Mar 1, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #1,526 of 4,825

I listen to the Tallis Scholars on the 812 off my HM 901. I am still able to hear clearly the record even though I play their records at low volume in the office.

Mar 1, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #1,527 of 4,825
  So early remarks noted these play well even off a smartphone unlike many other flagships. However, people have recently mentioned top shelf amps like the Phonitor 2 to really make a difference. Another big thing holding me back is that I really don't have an amp for something low impedance like this. Realistically, I would want something portable so currently I have the Schiit Vali and Audioengine D3 that I could use with these. Would it be a waste to buy these and not really have a great amp?

Sonido, it just scales up on top shelf amps. I actually listen to the 812 off the HM 802 or HM 901 in the office. I have no complaints. Only aural bliss. I was with a group of friends yesterday and they were auditioning it off a iBasso DX 100. So, I don't think you have much to be concerned about. In any event, if you do get an opportunity to test before you pull the trigger, bring down your usual rig to see if you like the 812 off your portable rig.
L3000.gif

Mar 1, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #1,528 of 4,825
Thanks guys for all the answers! I got one last question. I just tried my HE-500 at low volumes as well. Not as good as HD800, but then again it was never as good at any volume. But one thing I did notice was despite both being open headphones, the HE-500 leaked more than the HD800. I think this is because the HE-500 has a larger, more exposed driver. How would you guys say the amount of leakage is on the K812 in comparison to other open headphones? Quite average for open headphones, or worse or better? Outside of closed headphones, I think the best in this regard was the semi-open DT880 for me.

Mar 1, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #1,529 of 4,825
  Thanks guys for all the answers! I got one last question. I just tried my HE-500 at low volumes as well. Not as good as HD800, but then again it was never as good at any volume. But one thing I did notice was despite both being open headphones, the HE-500 leaked more than the HD800. I think this is because the HE-500 has a larger, more exposed driver. How would you guys say the amount of leakage is on the K812 in comparison to other open headphones? Quite average for open headphones, or worse or better? Outside of closed headphones, I think the best in this regard was the semi-open DT880 for me.

All I will say that the wife has not yelled from the ground floor. I assume that means it is within tolerable parameters. 
wink_face.gif

Mar 1, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #1,530 of 4,825
I really wish I could demo these. Found a great deal on these, but no return policy unfortunately, aside from being defective. Maybe time to read Tyll's review (the harshest one it would seem) again and then decide.
confused_face.gif

It's kinda funny how this all happened. I've been following this thread, but didn't think I would be getting them. Was looking for an upgrade for my work headphones, but was really just looking for a closed pair. At the same time though, I didn't want to sacrifice audio quality. Was considering Alpha Dogs or TH900/600. Then I brought my HD800 to work and it was amazing even on low volumes. All the details and soundstaging stayed intact even on low volumes, and it felt like I was in another world. I knew closed headphones could never give me soundstaging like that. More importantly, I found no one was bother by the volume level. This opened the door to open headphones. Then I find a great deal on these. To be fair, I could get another HD800 for the same price from Razordog with their 20% off all Sennheiser sale, but it's no fun having two of the same, and I couldn't justify spending $1200 when I could just take the pair I have back and forth everyday (though something I would never do).

I guess my biggest concern lies in how these are with inferior sources, but it doesn't sound as picky as my HD800. Also, these are still relatively new and unproven, unlike the HD800 which has become the bona fide gold standard in TOTL headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back