AKG K812 Pro
Feb 28, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #1,503 of 4,825

It probably is because when I heard the K812 it didn't have treble issues and was one of the best sounding headphones I've heard. I found the smallest things can sometimes have drastic effects.

Yes, I was amazed by it when I heard them at the shop - lucky enough to also demo the AK240 with them. The K812 sounds beautiful with instruments but I found some EDM sounds harsh to my ears. The stock interconnects dampens the "metallic-ness" of the treble, has less detail in exchange for more smoother listening and brings out the punchy bass. Overall, my LCD-X are easier to listen to for EDM.

Feb 28, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #1,504 of 4,825
Oh yes, changing cables fixes everything. Especially driver distortion and ragged impulse response in a headphone.

biggrin.gif

good one...

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #1,506 of 4,825

Oh yes, changing cables fixes everything. Especially driver distortion and ragged impulse response in a headphone.

Copper cable, what brand? 

Who said anything about copper?

All you need is a thick jacket and a supercooled superconductor. :wink:

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #1,507 of 4,825

Just discovered that synergy may be the problem and the solution to enjoying the K812's. With my Atlas Element Asymmetric Integra interconnects, the treble on the K812's have piercing highs that made it quite annoying/painful to listen to. After swapping to the stock cables that came with my Arcam irDac, those piercing highs are gone and the sound is enjoyable.

hehe Funny story. 
beerchug.gif

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #1,508 of 4,825
I just made a startling discovery. When I unplugged all my household appliances and replaced my furnace with a woodstove, all my headphones that had raggedy ann treble suddenly became smooth on top at the expense of a smaller soundstage...and smaller everything else.

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #1,509 of 4,825
  I just made a startling discovery. When I unplugged all my household appliances and replaced my furnace with a woodstove, all my headphones that had raggedy ann treble suddenly became smooth on top at the expense of a smaller soundstage...and smaller everything else.

Is the freezing cold melting your brain into audio bliss hallucination?
evil_smiley.gif
 because I experience the same thing when I strip down naked and sit on a large block of ice while listening to my headphones. My butt gets very raw/red but the audio bliss is worth it.

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #1,510 of 4,825
Man this gets really interesting. Lol

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #1,511 of 4,825
How is the dynamic range on these? Also is it good at low volumes? Does it play well and still let you hear all the details on low volume? I've been thinking about getting a good closed back for work, but I brought my HD800 to work today and found I could play them at low volumes (~65 dB) and not really leak or disturb anyone. And the sound was still phenomenal! Now I want something of the HD800 caliber at work.

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #1,513 of 4,825
Feb 28, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #1,514 of 4,825
I posted my video review on YouTube. I'll embed it here when I get to my Mac.

I saw that. I'm surprised no one posted it yet. I didn't in fear it was already up, but I guess not.

Good review. You kept referring to it as a reference level can which is direct contrast to Tyll's review. Again, it just makes me want to try them out to see what I hear myself.

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #1,515 of 4,825
Thanks mike!i love your videos!

Regards nomax

Thanks for your support Nomax and the tip on the SPL. Took me a bit of time to get a review unit, but I'm glad I did because the K812 sounds amazing with the Phonitor2. I sent the Phonitor2 to our staff member Kevin a few days ago for his part of the reivew . I now have separation anxiety. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back