AKG K812 Pro
Feb 26, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #1,471 of 4,825

He actually said that he can't recommend the K812 for audio engineers and recommend the HD800 instead when an audio microscope is needed.

I know. I'm saying it's something potential buyer should be asking.

Feb 26, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #1,472 of 4,825
Tyll writes: "In my opinion, this confusion and harshness in the treble when lots of high-frequency information is present [. . .] disqualifies them as a high-end headphone for enthusiasts because it's unpleasant. [. . .] when the music has a complex treble, it's harsh uncontrolled frequency response between 3kHz and 10kHz reveals itself as a fatal flaw to my ears."

Does anyone who has heard K812 know offhand how this would affect classical music including solo piano and organ? Any specific pieces it could be a real problem with?

Feb 26, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #1,473 of 4,825
no one can answer that for you. you need to hear the can for yourself and come to your own conclusions.

Feb 26, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #1,474 of 4,825

He got a second pair and they measured/sounded about the same...see his comments below his review.

Did I miss something? What happened? You were loving them
frown.gif

Ah, thanks Beagle. I should have read his review more carefully. Bummer for the K812 then I guess.

As for my replacement, did you miss me freaking out about it on this thread? Haha.
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #1,475 of 4,825
After reading inner fidelity's report on the K812, seems like Tyll is back tracking somewhat from his earlier write ups.  He also seemed to downplay his praise on the HD800 as well as the LCDs.

Not exactly sure why this is but his parent company Stereophile Magazine just came out with a headphone issue where they made no mention at all about inner fidelity.

Would be nice to see a real test of the AKG K812 in Stereophile or Absolute Sound in coming months.

Feb 26, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #1,476 of 4,825
Not sure why you don't consider Tyll's review real. I don't fully agree with his review, but I don't think he just dreamed it up.

Feb 26, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #1,478 of 4,825
  After reading inner fidelity's report on the K812, seems like Tyll is back tracking somewhat from his earlier write ups.  He also seemed to downplay his praise on the HD800 as well as the LCDs.

Not exactly sure why this is but his parent company Stereophile Magazine just came out with a headphone issue where they made no mention at all about inner fidelity.

Would be nice to see a real test of the AKG K812 in Stereophile or Absolute Sound in coming months.

Perhaps, the appearance of the K812 has tempered his views on the HD 800 and the LCDs?

Feb 26, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #1,479 of 4,825
  cancelled my preorder. Listening to tyll his review I'll be sticking with my hd800 and grabbing a pair of lcd-x's instead.

Throw in the number quality issues experienced by many owners, I'm thinking with you. I'm gonna stand pat with the HD800s and LCD-X. I'm gonna try and get out and hear them though.

Feb 26, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #1,481 of 4,825

rolleyes.gif

They don't do formal headphone reviews anymore anyway (the recent LCD-X review notwithstanding). They leave it to online alumni InnerFidelity, HiFi+ Playback.

Feb 26, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #1,484 of 4,825

I dunno, but exactly what I expected based on his earlier posting.  Of course he provide much more detail about what he was hearing and how that matched up to
the measurements.  Definitely a strong stand against the product... at the given price and possibly at any price.  

On the other hand, this won't keep me from auditioning when that becomes possible. :)  I find Tyll's reviews to be excellent and thoughtful, but I also know that products
he prefers are often not the right ones for me.  Different flaws and strengths are experienced differently by different listeners.  Of course.

Feb 26, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #1,485 of 4,825
This is very true.
You should always listen to the headphone with your own equipment and music selection.
Previous to making a joke of the AKG K812, he also made a joke of the Ultrasone ED10, which many here at head-fi tried and enjoyed.

Quote:
  I dunno, but exactly what I expected based on his earlier posting.  Of course he provide much more detail about what he was hearing and how that matched up to
the measurements.  Definitely a strong stand against the product... at the given price and possibly at any price.  

On the other hand, this won't keep me from auditioning when that becomes possible. :)  I find Tyll's reviews to be excellent and thoughtful, but I also know that products
he prefers are often not the right ones for me.  Different flaws and strengths are experienced differently by different listeners.  Of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back