AKG K812 Pro
Mar 1, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #1,531 of 4,825
  I really wish I could demo these. Found a great deal on these, but no return policy unfortunately, aside from being defective. Maybe time to read Tyll's review (the harshest one it would seem) again and then decide.
confused_face.gif

It's kinda funny how this all happened. I've been following this thread, but didn't think I would be getting them. Was looking for an upgrade for my work headphones, but was really just looking for a closed pair. At the same time though, I didn't want to sacrifice audio quality. Was considering Alpha Dogs or TH900/600. Then I brought my HD800 to work and it was amazing even on low volumes. All the details and soundstaging stayed intact even on low volumes, and it felt like I was in another world. I knew closed headphones could never give me soundstaging like that. More importantly, I found no one was bother by the volume level. This opened the door to open headphones. Then I find a great deal on these. To be fair, I could get another HD800 for the same price from Razordog with their 20% off all Sennheiser sale, but it's no fun having two of the same, and I couldn't justify spending $1200 when I could just take the pair I have back and forth everyday (though something I would never do).

I guess my biggest concern lies in how these are with inferior sources, but it doesn't sound as picky as my HD800. Also, these are still relatively new and unproven, unlike the HD800 which has become the bona fide gold standard in TOTL headphones.

Well it sounds like you're taking the time to think it through and put yourself on the right path. It's not a cheap purchase by any means. I don't know why you wouldn't want to just stick with your HD 600 at work. It's an amazing can that hits well above its weight class and you're happy with the results. My honest opinion is the K812 isn't worth the risk of a purchase right now. Even the first run of HD 800s had some undocumented revisions in their sonics before they became what they are today. No reason to think AKG wont look at the feedback and revise as needed. Give it at least another 6-9 months and revisit it.

Mar 1, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #1,532 of 4,825
Well it sounds like you're taking the time to think it through and put yourself on the right path. It's not a cheap purchase by any means. I don't know why you wouldn't want to just stick with your HD 600 at work. It's an amazing can that hits well above its weight class and you're happy with the results. My honest opinion is the K812 isn't worth the risk of a purchase right now. Even the first run of HD 800s had some undocumented revisions in their sonics before they became what they are today. No reason to think AKG wont look at the feedback and revise as needed. Give it at least another 6-9 months and revisit it.

+0.75

Mar 1, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #1,533 of 4,825
Ugh... upon rereading Tyll's article, it's not the article itself that bothers me, but the comments below and people mentioning the lower treble issues being something they can easily fix and produce a revision in the future. Now makes me want to hold out for mk2.
frown.gif

I listen to JPop and I know that lower 2-3 kHz lower treble issue and my KEF M500 has it. Though I didn't find it a problem on moderate volumes with the M500, and the volume I will be using the K812 at will be even lower, so maybe it wouldn't become an issue. Still being top shelf, you kinda want the best, and early adopters do get burned when there are better revisions later on. Maybe I'll buy these and if the treble becomes a problem for me I'll just sell them. Great thing about sale prices is you don't lose out as much selling them later.

Mar 1, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #1,535 of 4,825
Ugh... upon rereading Tyll's article, it's not the article itself that bothers me, but the comments below and people mentioning the lower treble issues being something they can easily fix and produce a revision in the future. Now makes me want to hold out for mk2. :frowning2:

I listen to JPop and I know that lower 2-3 kHz lower treble issue and my KEF M500 has it. Though I didn't find it a problem on moderate volumes with the M500, and the volume I will be using the K812 at will be even lower, so maybe it wouldn't become an issue. Still being top shelf, you kinda want the best, and early adopters do get burned when there are better revisions later on. Maybe I'll buy these and if the treble becomes a problem for me I'll just sell them. Great thing about sale prices is you don't lose out as much selling them later.

Sonido, I think while there will always be doubts expressed in respect of a new TOTL can, only extensive listening in the context of your own music will really help. I think MacBob is still happily listening along. As am I. I myself listen to medieval church music all the way down to JPop and KPop. :) So far, I'm loving it!

Mar 1, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #1,536 of 4,825
So early remarks noted these play well even off a smartphone unlike many other flagships. However, people have recently mentioned top shelf amps like the Phonitor 2 to really make a difference. Another big thing holding me back is that I really don't have an amp for something low impedance like this. Realistically, I would want something portable so currently I have the Schiit Vali and Audioengine D3 that I could use with these. Would it be a waste to buy these and not really have a great amp?

I'm using a Schitt Asgard 2 at this time and the 812 sounds great. Some on this thread use the HD800 with the Schitt Vali and prefer this combo over others. Any good quality amp, regardless of price will drive these just fine. On the Asgard 2, there is a switch on the rear panel where you can set the amp to low or high gain. I've played with this and generally prefer the high gain switch.
I have used the 812 on my phone and iPad, and it sounds ok, but amped it's just much better. Since these phones are so revealing they scale up to whatever source you are using.
So like most high quality phones, the better the audio chain the better the result. But these will give excellent on your Valli also.

Mar 1, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #1,537 of 4,825
I'm sorry but that doesn't help me because I don't know the record. (In general, reviewers pick some pretty non-mainstream references, so I just have to skip that part of the review.) That's why I had to ask:

Tyll writes: "In my opinion, this confusion and harshness in the treble when lots of high-frequency information is present [. . .] disqualifies them as a high-end headphone for enthusiasts because it's unpleasant. [. . .] when the music has a complex treble, it's harsh uncontrolled frequency response between 3kHz and 10kHz reveals itself as a fatal flaw to my ears."

Does anyone who has heard K812 know how this would affect classical music (including solo piano)? Any specific pieces it could be a real problem with?

I'll listen to some mainstream stuff this weekend and post my impressions.

Mar 1, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #1,539 of 4,825
The K812 is getting similar responses from reviewers and user as the Sennheiser HD700.  I personally like the HD700 and think it's worth owning.  I do own mine, as in I bought it with my own money.  Putting my money where my mouth is.  :)

Mar 1, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #1,540 of 4,825
Quote:
  The K812 is getting similar responses from reviewers and user as the Sennheiser HD700.  I personally like the HD700 and think it's worth owning.  I do own mine, as in I bought it with my own money.  Putting my money where my mouth is.  :)

The HD700 was also overpriced on release and the price has been lowered since.

Mar 1, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #1,541 of 4,825

I think all the TOTL cans have their own detractors. As long as we enjoy the can, that's all the matters. Views of people who own and/or have listened to the AKG K812 only provide useful tips or signposts. At the end of the day, the question you ask yourself is whether you enjoy the headphone.

There is no can to rule them all or please everyone.

Mar 1, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #1,542 of 4,825
I think all the TOTL cans have their own detractors. As long as we enjoy the can, that's all the matters. Views of people who own and/or have listened to the AKG K812 only provide useful tips or signposts. At the end of the day, the question you ask yourself is whether you enjoy the headphone.

+1

Mar 1, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #1,543 of 4,825
Originally Posted by paulchiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[...]
Not exactly sure why this is but his parent company Stereophile Magazine just came out with a headphone issue where they made no mention at all about inner fidelity.
[...]

Excerpt from Stereophile "2013 Recommended Components Headphones":
Editor’s Note: We strongly recommend those interested in headphone listening visit our new sister website, www.InnerFidelity.com, which is edited by Tyll Hertsens. 

It seems like Stereophile doesn't agree wtih you.

Mar 1, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #1,544 of 4,825
At this point I really wish I could just demo these myself. Anyone know of an audio store that carries these in Atlanta? I know the best buy magnolia store carries some akg like K550 and maybe the 700s. Worth a try maybe.

Mar 1, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #1,545 of 4,825

Amen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back