AKG K812 Pro
Jan 2, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #541 of 4,825
The K812 is a GREAT sounding headphone!but for the OFFICAL PRICE 1590 euros NOT GOOD ENOUGH!regards NOMAX

Jan 2, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #542 of 4,825
  Well it's now 300/500€ more expensive (depending on store) than the HD800, like I mentioned in an earlier post. I doubt lots of people will buy these now, reading as they are inferior to the HD800 in practically every way besides driveablity.

Rather funny again that 1500 USD = 1500 euro, while atleast the sennheiser hd800 only sells for 1000€ here while it's 1500USD in America.

Was gonna consider the K812, but with this price, I'll stick to my current setup.

AKG (or Harman) is American company, which means that main price is in $ without taxes (not everywhere in USA you are paying sale taxes), because in Europe you have sale taxes everywhere you have price already with taxes.

Sennheiser is Europe (German) company, which means that Europe price is with Europe taxes and American price is also with Europe taxes (also you need add American sale taxes if needed - someone, please correct me if I am wrong).

Jan 2, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #543 of 4,825
@Blackmore: okay ... that's sucks !

@LifeAspect: Yes it is a shame that we (Germany and maybe the rest of UK) have to pay a lot more for an European product then the rest of the world (EUR price converted 1:1 into Dollar without considering the exchange rate or increase the price in EUR). Normally this happened only for products from outside EU. Audeze LCD-3 1999$. In Germany 1999€ means 2700$ !!!

Jan 2, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #544 of 4,825
Not sure if thats correct, as Harman is an Group, where AKG Austria are part of it. Sure, they are under Harman policy, but not TAX or other wise, its all very local depended in Europe and should be according local Tax law only, not US.

Quote:

AKG (or Harman) is American company, which means that main price is in $ without taxes (not everywhere in USA you are paying sale taxes), because in Europe you have sale taxes everywhere you have price already with taxes.

Sennheiser is Europe (German) company, which means that Europe price is with Europe taxes and American price is also with Europe taxes (also you need add American sale taxes if needed - someone, please correct me if I am wrong).

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #546 of 4,825
I dont care about such policy, which is a greedy one for sure, price was meant to be EUR 1199, not cheap either, but just right. And yes, Harman does it, not AKG, as AKG a part of them, not other way around.

....the other way around meant something else - 
'The suits' of the Harman International [AKG / headphones division] can do it because they want it ... or is it the other way around ? [ they want it because they can do it ]

A - A manufacturer can price its product any way, even below the belt hit way, and it is left to consumers to respond.
B - It looks like 'the suits' in the head offices of Harman Int. decided to hike up their preliminary pre-set retail price when the first reviews of K812 turned out to be positive. They clearly feel that K812 can take on HD800.
C - This new 'MSRP' price is most probably 'an introductory price' designed to get moneys from those who can afford to pay and those willing to pay for a set of new headphones when they are in short supply due to the beginning of production. This new price is a combination of a classic demand and supply phenomenon and of a well established introductory pricing business practice that goes back a few thousands of years. In about six months the price should fall, unless the further reviews turn out to be ecstatic and / or the factory burns down and the production of K812 slows down. 
D - Options for you to deal with this situation 
      1 - Drown your sorrow in alcohol
      2 - Convince the audio enthusiasts around the world to boycott the selling of AKG K812 headphones so that the price would come down.
      3 - Prayer
      4 - Theft
      5 - Blackmailing or threatening Harman International Inc.
      6 - Patience and hope that the price will come down.
      7 - Patience and smartness to wait for an opportunity to buy a used K812 from a spoiled rich type who is always impatient to get a new toy and then, after a few weeks, loses interest in it.
      8 - Find solace and comfort in woman's arms.

Jan 2, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #547 of 4,825
Well, I suppose the hasty price increase might be a plain marketing decision by Harman, to match the potential price of the upcoming flagships from Sennheiser and Sony. It is unlikely, that the new flagships will have the same MSRP as the current ones.

And, at least for the masses, a high price often suggests extraordinary quality.

It's like "Wow the new K812 costs 400€ more than the old HD800? It simply must be better!" or "The K812 is as expensive as the new 2014 flagship, so it is surely in the same class!"

Jan 2, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #548 of 4,825
It appears even Nomax thinks the K812 is overpriced now. Dire straights for AKG indeed. I still plan to audition the K812 next to the LCD-X and HD800 sometime in February. I may also throw in an HE-500 and HD-700 for price/value perspective. I'll post my feedback when the time comes.

If I like the K812 enough, perhaps I can haggle the dealer down a bit. Especially with the HD800's recent drop in street retail. I've previously owned the HD800 and it is my current favorite I've owned and the standard by which others will be judged for me.

Jan 2, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #549 of 4,825
It appears even Nomax thinks the K812 is overpriced now. Dire straights for AKG indeed. I still plan to audition the K812 next to the LCD-X and HD800 sometime in February. I may also throw in an HE-500 and HD-700 for price/value perspective. I'll post my feedback when the time comes.

If I like the K812 enough, perhaps I can haggle the dealer down a bit. Especially with the HD800's recent drop in street retail. I've previously owned the HD800 and it is my current favorite I've owned and the standard by which others will be judged for me.

Yes VALUE FOR MONEY in Case of K812 is NOT GOOD!NOMAX

Jan 2, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #550 of 4,825

If you area EU company and you export your product outside EU, then you and your buyer will not subject to the 20% VAT. It's not about which country the companies are located, but the destinations they aim to sell.

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #551 of 4,825
OK I got my K812 today and have listened to it for an hour. First impression:

In the sum of its character traits I would rate it higher than My HD800, LCD2, HE500, GS1000i and the T1. It is a really neutral Monitor HP and reminds me in its tonality a lot of my Stax SR-X MK3 pro! Even the HD800 is a more forgiving phone. This will lead to some describing it as harsh.

The other flagships win in some disciplins. The Top planar magnetics have deeper bass and the HD800 has a wider soundstage.

By the way amps are Bryston BHA1, Violectric V200, Centrance Hifi M8 and Objective2.

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #552 of 4,825

In the sum of its character traits I would rate it higher than My HD800, LCD2, HE500, GS1000i and the T1. It is a really neutral Monitor HP and reminds me in its tonality a lot of my Stax SR-X MK3 pro! Even the HD800 is a more forgiving phone. This will lead to some describing it as harsh.

The other flagships win in some disciplins. The Top planar magnetics have deeper bass and the HD800 has a wider soundstage.

By the way amps are Bryston BHA1, Violectric V200, Centrance Hifi M8 and Objective2.

Did K812 fits those AMPs? I thought low omhs dynamic headphones might need special treatment, like TH900. That's also the main concern for me coz my AMP is for HD800.

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #553 of 4,825
Did K812 fits those AMPs? I thought low omhs dynamic headphones might need special treatment, like TH900. That's also the main concern for me coz my AMP is for HD800.

The used amps have all low imepdance (<2 Ohms) so they fit the K812.

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #554 of 4,825
Do you believe in burn in, any plans to do any? If yes, would you be so kind to let them running up to 300 hours, but back with us after first 50 please and maybe after each new 50?
Do you think that cable can be easy upgraded, because of connector been used I mean.

THX

Quote:

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #555 of 4,825

mine are not new and should according to the owner have some 100h.

The cable should be quite easy to replace for anybody with decent soldering skills. The plug is quite tiny smaller than HD800 connector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back