AKG K812 Pro
Mar 10, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #3,451 of 4,825
I've bought both the HD800 and K812 and have yet to entertain the thought of selling either. Both are great cans and whichever can I happen to use at any given time depends on my mood. I've just gotten a Grado GS1000i and, to my ears, it'd give either a run for the money....similar characteristics like great soundstage, transparent, great vocals and nice bass when called upon, except (to my ears) the GS1000i has this very natural (for want of a better word) bass that I find more enjoyable than the K812 and HD800. All these cans are keepers for me....bear in mind these are just my opinion, based on my somewhat shoddy hearing (hey, what do you expect? I'm past 50!)

Mar 10, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #3,452 of 4,825
  I've bought both the HD800 and K812 and have yet to entertain the thought of selling either. Both are great cans and whichever can I happen to use at any given time depends on my mood. I've just gotten a Grado GS1000i and, to my ears, it'd give either a run for the money....similar characteristics like great soundstage, transparent, great vocals and nice bass when called upon, except (to my ears) the GS1000i has this very natural (for want of a better word) bass that I find more enjoyable than the K812 and HD800. All these cans are keepers for me....bear in mind these are just my opinion, based on my somewhat shoddy hearing (hey, what do you expect? I'm past 50!)

Thats interesting.  The GS1000i is definitely on my list to try.   Thanks.

Mar 10, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #3,453 of 4,825
  how come akg made all round worse hp than hd800? is that even possible?

i was expecting in some areas akg to be better, in some areas, worse.

at least their mid range offerings are like that.

I wouldn't trade my 812 for a brand new hd800.   But thats just me.  Opinions differ.

Mar 10, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #3,454 of 4,825

If you like the natural bass of the GS1000i, you might want to try a Fostex TH900.
I enjoy all 3 cans you favor.

Mar 10, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #3,455 of 4,825
  "the k812 is very very transparent, reveals all the tizziness in yor setup/test equipt... 
without sacrificing the life in the vocals.  " 

this tot is forming in my head,  jus a suspicion,
need to swap around my setups for further listening..
cant imagine AKGdesigners screwed up  their TOTL can.. :)

( up for debate.  Fire away...but dun fire at me. :p )

That's what I've gathered about the K812 personally based on my auditioning of my friends pair. It's just one finicky headphone.

Mar 10, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #3,456 of 4,825
Yes, its musical... Yes, it can be ugly if you rub it the wrong way (i.e. a bad recording that has harsh treble will not sound good, with the K812 maybe being more sensitive to that than absolutely necessary).

I respect Tyll and think his review was fair, given that he obviously did not like the K812 (which is understandable as he tends to like a bit warmer sounding headphones). I concur that the treble is not free of faults, but have the advantage that my headphone listening skews heavily towards EDM and electronica, where I don't have an absolute reference how it has to sound :wink:

Mar 10, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #3,458 of 4,825
[COLOR=333333]Summary[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]The open, spacious, musical presentation of the AKG K812 is truly world-class with music that has a simple, mellow treble. But when the music has a complex treble, it's harsh uncontrolled frequency response between 3kHz and 10kHz reveals itself as a fatal flaw to my ears. Many will perceive them as simply highly detailed, and many will disagree with my take by putting more weight on the beautifully musical and spacious aspects of the K812. But I find them artificially bright compared to the true high-frequency resolution of the Sennheiser HD 800, which I warm up with careful component matching and EQ if I feel the need.[/COLOR]

No more to say :wink:

sure but the measurements confirm what he's hearing :wink:

Mar 10, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #3,459 of 4,825
"the k812 is very very transparent, reveals all the tizziness in yor setup/test equipt... 
without sacrificing the life in the vocals.  " 

this tot is forming in my head,  jus a suspicion,
need to swap around my setups for further listening..
cant imagine AKGdesigners screwed up  their TOTL can.. :)

( up for debate.  Fire away...but dun fire at me. :p )

we're talking about some driver distortion not a train wreck :wink:

Mar 10, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #3,461 of 4,825
Mar 10, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #3,462 of 4,825
Think it boils down to the USB cables....

The tubes.....

And how the pads are squished out of shape :wink:

Anyone experimented w other pads?

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #3,465 of 4,825
Has anyone hardwired these for balanced use?

I think the 812 would be more difficult to get hardwired than say an HD800 or a Denon D7000. The stock 812's connector is part of a molded plastic off shoot (boss) on one ear cup and the other cup doesn't have that plastic boss or an entrance hole for a cable. It may not look that great after putting a hole for a cable in the cup and cable manufacturers may not want to bother because of the risk of ruining the cosmetics of the headphone. Just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back