AKG K812 Pro
Mar 11, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #3,467 of 4,825

Has anyone hardwired these for balanced use?

I think the 812 would be more difficult to get hardwired than say an HD800 or a Denon D7000. The stock 812's connector is part of a molded plastic off shoot (boss) on one ear cup and the other cup doesn't have that plastic boss or an entrance hole for a cable. It may not look that great after putting a hole for a cable in the cup and cable manufacturers may not want to bother because of the risk of ruining the cosmetics of the headphone. Just my opinion.

Like these:  Not the best looking I know, but works for that application.  I know it can be done.  I was just wondering if anyone ventured out and actually did it "yet"

Mar 11, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #3,468 of 4,825

Has anyone hardwired these for balanced use?

I think the 812 would be more difficult to get hardwired than say an HD800 or a Denon D7000. The stock 812's connector is part of a molded plastic off shoot (boss) on one ear cup and the other cup doesn't have that plastic boss or an entrance hole for a cable. It may not look that great after putting a hole for a cable in the cup and cable manufacturers may not want to bother because of the risk of ruining the cosmetics of the headphone. Just my opinion.

Like these:  Not the best looking I know, but works for that application.  I know it can be done.  I was just wondering if anyone ventured out and actually did it "yet"

I thought the internal wiring is printed making it more difficult but I could be wrong.

Mar 12, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #3,469 of 4,825

I think it will imposible to make it with the K812 because of a cardanic hinge.

Of course you can drill a hole in the narrow part of the cup like those guys did with the K702 AE  but because of the hinge the new cable will prevent the cup from moving.

Mar 12, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #3,471 of 4,825
  I think it will imposible to make it with the K812 because of a cardanic hinge.

Of course you can drill a hole in the narrow part of the cup like those guys did with the K702 AE  but because of the hinge the new cable will prevent the cup from moving.

OOOO  I see.  uumm   Let me ask around..  That was some good info,  thanks..

Mar 12, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #3,472 of 4,825
Would you guys think the k812 as a natural successor to the K/Q7** series? The massive soundstage and clarity with laid back bass (but still present) sound of them are a really special presentation and are incredibly hard to find in headphones.

Mar 12, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #3,473 of 4,825
  Would you guys think the k812 as a natural successor to the K/Q7** series? The massive soundstage and clarity with laid back bass (but still present) sound of them are a really special presentation and are incredibly hard to find in headphones.

Not really... while the K812 does have a very wide soundstage its overall tonal balance is rather different from the K7 models I know (K702AE, K7XX, Q701). Plus its definitely not bass-light.

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #3,475 of 4,825
I wouldn't really call the K7 series bass light personally, they can output surprising amounts of bass.

It depends a bit, both on model and taste of course. I don't like too much bass (with e.g. the TH900 being clearly too much for prolonged listening for me), so I appreciate the amount of bass the AKGs produce. I found the K702AE and the K7XX to be rather warm with strong enough bass, no question about that. The Q701 was a bit lean, though I could live with that. The K812 is not warm like the K702AE and the K7XX, its midrange and treble reminds me more of the Q701 (though I did not compare them directly, so thats from memory only), but it seems to offer a deeper reaching bass that I did not hear from other (open) AKG models I came across so far.

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #3,476 of 4,825

It depends a bit, both on model and taste of course. I don't like too much bass (with e.g. the TH900 being clearly too much for prolonged listening for me), so I appreciate the amount of bass the AKGs produce. I found the K702AE and the K7XX to be rather warm with strong enough bass, no question about that. The Q701 was a bit lean, though I could live with that. The K812 is not warm like the K702AE and the K7XX, its midrange and treble reminds me more of the Q701 (though I did not compare them directly, so thats from memory only), but it seems to offer a deeper reaching bass that I did not hear from other (open) AKG models I came across so far.

True it does depend. The K702AE, K7XX, and K712 can produce quite a bit of bass, almost too much at times. True, the Q701, K702, and K701 are often quite lean, but depending on the system they can output enough where they definitely don't sound lean in the bass. But honestly I think the K7 series has some of the best bass of the mid-tier dynamics. The K812 does reach deeper in the bass that is true, I found it does have a greater excursion factor with it's bass. I'm curious if AKG is going to release anything between the K812 and K712.

Mar 12, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #3,477 of 4,825
I currently own the Q701s and thinking of whether to go HD800s or K812s, you think it's worth the upgrade?

Mar 12, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #3,478 of 4,825
I own k812 and have tried hd800. The latter sounds very formal and rigid (and serious) to me, despite its bass is a bit light you cannot criticize it especially on technical aspect and I feel it is a very correct sound, but I like the musicality of k812 more. Moreover k812 has more bass to adapt to most genres. If I own hd800 I'll use it only on classical music and I think it is best for....

Mar 12, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #3,479 of 4,825
Recently I also bought th900. Few people compare these two as one is open back and one is closed back. The mid-bass is even more stronger than k812 (>10%) and the bass decays quite fast and not much sub-bass. I feel more sub-bass in k812.

The th900 has v-shape characteristic, for some jazz trio music which I usually listen to, when tuning to the suitable piano sound, th900 will produce a very v shape sound, which I think for instrumental music th900 is more attractive than k812 at first stance, and obviously there is more fun. But for prolong using you may feel th900 is a bit colored and not as balanced as k812, also I feel a bit more natural listening for k812 open back signature. k812 is more comfortable for wearing and prolong listening.

I like bass punch and I still being much attached to the bass fun of th900, but seems I cannot let go k812.

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #3,480 of 4,825
I'd almost swapped out my K812 for a Grado PS1000i, but on further deliberation, decided not to do it.....and I'm glad I didn't. Still, I'd wanted the Grado experience so I'd bought a GS1000i instead. I've since decided to make my HD800, K812 and GS1000i permanent fixtures in my collection, they shall NOT be sold or traded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back