AKG K812 Pro
Jul 5, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #2,642 of 4,825
Look forward to your impressions :)

Jul 5, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #2,643 of 4,825

Just bought K812 as my step back to open-back cans.
My previous set of full-sized headphone is the HD650. Great one indeed.
The K812 sounds more open and clear, and more comfortable too!
Can't say it worth every penny but at least every .8 penny atm. :wink:

Jul 5, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #2,644 of 4,825
The K812 arrived today.
First paired with the ß22 amp.  A terrible match--just awful.  The soundstage was tiny and everything sounded tinny.  The beta is really optimized for the Sennheiser HD-6x0.
Hooked the AKGs into my HT gear: Sony BDP-S580, Millersound digital cable, headphone out from the Denon AVR-1905.  Wow!  Sounds really nice, even from this very modest gear.  Lots of fine detail.  Even the older recordings of Tommy James sounded very very good.  No "tizzy" treble at this point, either, just clean, balanced and excitingly detailed highs.
Won't get to my best source and amp gear until next week, but I am fully expecting even more from the K812.

Jul 5, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #2,645 of 4,825
  The K812 arrived today.
First paired with the ß22 amp.  A terrible match--just awful.  The soundstage was tiny and everything sounded tinny.  The beta is really optimized for the Sennheiser HD-6x0.
Hooked the AKGs into my HT gear: Sony BDP-S580, Millersound digital cable, headphone out from the Denon AVR-1905.  Wow!  Sounds really nice, even from this very modest gear.  Lots of fine detail.  Even the older recordings of Tommy James sounded very very good.  No "tizzy" treble at this point, just clean, balanced and excitingly detailed highs.
Won't get to my best source and amp gear until next week, but I am fully expecting even more from the K812.

Yes, the AKG does seem to be amp sensitive. Just as it is cable sensitive as well. I don't think it agrees with silver cables. Makes it lose the distinctive warmish sig. As for tube amps, I have good experience out of the Woo Audio WA2. 
L3000.gif

Jul 6, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #2,646 of 4,825
moje AKG 812 jest uszkodzony,

przynajmniej na MA zly kontakt czasami pojawia sie po prawej Stronie
http://www.akg.com/media/media/store/10475​
pytanie, czy taśma jest zamocowana z nadajnika lub po prostu włożonary rysunek 17

Jul 6, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #2,650 of 4,825

"One thing I noticed that I, very surprisingly, didn't see in any of the threads about the K812 was that it appears to use a flexible printed wire assembly (FPWA) to get the signal from the headband conductors to the earpiece and driver. If you look in the photo below you'll see a shiny thing within the red oval, that's the flat printed wire part."

From innerfidelity site

Jul 6, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #2,651 of 4,825
Locally I got an incredible deal on a K812 that I couldn't pass up,didn't think its sound signature would be to my liking coming from an LCD-3 but was pleasantly surprised it was not too far off my tastes.I do find the treble to be slightly more present than I wanted,so I figured I would try a little mod.What I did was put a little thin piece of foam over the driver on the inside using double sided tape on the plastic ring.The result seems to be to my liking,less treble,more bass,but as a trade off a narrower sound stage,but in a subtle way,not overkill.Overall I have to give it more time to see if I truly like the results.I cut the piece of foam slightly larger than the center driver,will try making it an exact fit in the future.Ordered some of the inside foam from an HD600 thinking that might work a little better,guess someone had to giver er a try
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #2,652 of 4,825
Upon further listening the mod took too much energy out of the signature of the headphones,off comes the foam.Worth a try,guess the engineers at AKG know a little more than me:xf_eek:

Jul 7, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #2,653 of 4,825
Upon further listening the mod took too much energy out of the signature of the headphones,off comes the foam.Worth a try,guess the engineers at AKG know a little more than me:xf_eek:

A+ for effort though and keeping the mod spirit alive 
beerchug.gif

Jul 7, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #2,654 of 4,825
Not too much treble for me, with the current [modest] rig.  Very well balanced, with just the right amount of extension and natural airiness.
Country (Earl Thomas Conley), R&R (Toto), Acoustic (Cat Stevens), Jazz (George Benson) and orchestral (Eric Kunzel, BPO) were all served up well with the K812.
Very impressed so far.
I have yet to match the AKGs with my best gear.

Jul 7, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #2,655 of 4,825
I've been listening for about a week and I have to admit they sounded awful at first.  Very dry and tinny.  I was sure I was going to return them.  But now they've really opened up and they're quite nice.  Right now I'm listening to YouTube out of my laptop's 3.5mm headphone jack and it sounds really nice.  I also listen from the 3.5mm jack on my Wavelength Proton USB DAC connected to my laptop via a Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB cable and it sounds even better.  Nothing jumps out as problematic.  I chose these headphones because they were supposed to sound good with basic gear and I think that's exactly what they're doing.

This is my first pair of high-end headphones so I don't have anything to compare them to.  I'm also not really in a critical mood when I'm listening to these.  I'm working and I just want some background sounds.  I should also mention that it's really nice to have no extra gear on my desk besides the very small DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back