AKG K812 Pro
Jul 8, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #2,671 of 4,832
Any late-breaking reports on an after-market cable suitable for the K812?
I am looking into a HeadphoneLounge UP-OCC cable, but am undecided between the silver and the copper.
Have both a silver and copper cable for my Mikros 90, and tend to prefer the silver cable: lovely timbre, natural weightiness, detail and--yes!--a natural warmth/mellowness with the UP-OCC silver.
Also, are there any details about the materials/construction of the K812's stock cable?

Jul 8, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #2,672 of 4,832
I think MacBob is the one who has been searching for the perfect amp for the 812. For myself, I am happy using Woo Audio WA2 and the Bryston BHA-1. :atsmile:

Hey Brother, I've never heard either of your amps, but I'm sure they sound sweet with the 812. I'm done searching for a better match with the 812. My Phonitor2 sounds superb with the AKG. However, I've been following the MCIntosh MHA100 thread, and that amp is extremely tempting, except for the exhorbitant price. Just drooling on the window at this point.
Since your using your cans on both solid state and tube amps, which do you prefer? Do you prefer each one with different genres of music or is it a trial and error approach?

Jul 9, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #2,673 of 4,832
I use k812 on bifrost/uber + lyr2 on low gain. I can say that I am very like the sound, nice punchy bass , overall very juicy sound. The problem that I don't have experience with other amps so I can't compare it . I heard k812 on phonitor in acix's studio but I heard it for about 3 hours and without my music collection so I can't say much about it.

Atm I ordered Noir Hybrid HPC cable from Forza Audiowork And 2 tubes E88CC/CV2492 mullard (100$ each) for my lyr2 so will see how those things will affect the sound :)

For my k812 impressions I can say that this is my first high end headphones so I can't compare it to same level cans. But I have k702 anniversary edition. (I know that they sound almost like k712) I can say that k812 beat k712 in every single aspects except soundstage. Soundstage on annie bigger but k812 have very nice separated sound(that I missed in annies),and awesome punchy bass that annies dont have. I can say that it is boring to hear annie after k812s. I not saying that annie bad headphones its Just a different headphone league and no need to be pro to hear the gap between them.

Sorry bad English , Google translate used.

Jul 9, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #2,674 of 4,832
Will finally have the opportunity to hear the K812 with my Lehmann BCL in a few days [I have been out-of-town for the last few weeks].

Also, am waiting for the Fitz-improved Bada PH-12 [hybrid] amp to come out of the repair shop.  It uses 3x 6SN7 tubes and has been a mainstay amp for me over the years.

Beta 22 is a very poor match for the K812 IMHE.

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #2,675 of 4,832
Hey Brother, I've never heard either of your amps, but I'm sure they sound sweet with the 812. I'm done searching for a better match with the 812. My Phonitor2 sounds superb with the AKG. However, I've been following the MCIntosh MHA100 thread, and that amp is extremely tempting, except for the exhorbitant price. Just drooling on the window at this point.
Since your using your cans on both solid state and tube amps, which do you prefer? Do you prefer each one with different genres of music or is it a trial and error approach?

Hmm...MacBob, I guess you would call me the latter: I just out on whichever amp I feel like at the moment. What I'll say, however, is the 812 with the WA2 is very seductive and lulling. I do like that combo very much. :)

Jul 9, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #2,676 of 4,832
I'm leaning toward using my K812 just plugged straight into my laptop.  They are only for use while I'm working and I like the simplicity and it sounds good.  Would I be better off with something lower grade?

Jul 9, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #2,677 of 4,832
Depends. If you only listen to mp3 or bad CD recordings, the K812 would probably be "overkill". If you have the chance to listen to uncompressed high resolution audio music then the K812 would be pretty perfect. In my opinion, the K812 is at present the best full size headphone on the market for mobile devices.

Jul 9, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #2,679 of 4,832
With "bad" CD recordings I meant mostly pop/rock music CDs produced after 1995. Many recording studios which make the CDs strip the music from dynamics, compress it and bring it to a constant sound level. The result is that a lot of pop/rock music from todays CDs is somehow like "tinned food". The melodies, voices and instruments differ but the recording techniques resulting in a limited and crippled sound are all the same.

Jul 9, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #2,680 of 4,832
Enjoying Neil Diamond, Heartlight/Columbia, Track #3: "I'm Guilty".
Everything is beautifully laid out with the K812.
Did I read in a review somewhere a criticism that the K812 have a "L-R" spatial layout, without a clear centralising aspect to their imaging?  My experience with the AKGs completely contradicts that misnomer.  Elements are solidly anchored in 3-D space, with a well-defined central focus. 
Having been "wandering about" among the orthodynamics on the market for the past several years, the AKG K812 offer me a refreshing return to "non-planar" dynamic sound.
The K812 are truly fine, and deserving of TOTL status, in my book [ymmv].

Jul 9, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #2,681 of 4,832
"Funkytown" by Lipps Inc., on the Casablanca label.
The K812: boy can they DISCO!!!
dt880smile.png

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #2,682 of 4,832
Atm I ordered Noir Hybrid HPC cable from Forza Audiowork And 2 tubes E88CC/CV2492 mullard (100$ each) for my lyr2 so will see how those things will affect the sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Am very interested to hear your impressions of the Noir Hybrid HPC.  Please keep us posted.
Am on the verge of ordering a UP-OCC cable from HeadphoneLounge, but am also as-yet undecided between silver or copper.
Has anyone access to the specs on the K812's stock "tangle-free" cable?

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #2,683 of 4,832
Just found detailed information on the K812 stock cable:

"The cable is three meters, it is built with copper in a 99.99% oxygen-free and equipped with a removable Lemo connector, high precision, for connection to headphones."

. . . from this latest-breaking product promo from Brazil:

http://www.panoramaaudiovisual.com/en/2014/01/10/AKG-k812-upper-reference-headphones/

The article provides no listener impressions.

I think the K812 might benefit significantly from a cable upgrade.  99.99% OFC is "no great shakes".

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #2,684 of 4,832
I use k812 on bifrost/uber + lyr2 on low gain. I can say that I am very like the sound, nice punchy bass , overall very juicy sound. The problem that I don't have experience with other amps so I can't compare it . I heard k812 on phonitor in acix's studio but I heard it for about 3 hours and without my music collection so I can't say much about it.

Atm I ordered Noir Hybrid HPC cable from Forza Audiowork And 2 tubes E88CC/CV2492 mullard (100$ each) for my lyr2 so will see how those things will affect the sound :)

For my k812 impressions I can say that this is my first high end headphones so I can't compare it to same level cans. But I have k702 anniversary edition. (I know that they sound almost like k712) I can say that k812 beat k712 in every single aspects except soundstage. Soundstage on annie bigger but k812 have very nice separated sound(that I missed in annies),and awesome punchy bass that annies dont have. I can say that it is boring to hear annie after k812s. I not saying that annie bad headphones its Just a different headphone league and no need to be pro to hear the gap between them.

Sorry bad English , Google translate used.

No doubt about it. The K812 outshines the 712 in every musical parameter I can think of. No going back to earlier K models after having the pleasure of hearing the K812.
Glad you like your new rig, you started pretty high, so settle back and just enjoy your tunes. Don't get get caught up in the upgrade fever mode until you really know what you have now. If you go higher , proceed with caution. Try to find a dealer with a good money back guarantee, and try attending some headfi meets when they come to your area. Most of all, have some fun.

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #2,685 of 4,832
I'm leaning toward using my K812 just plugged straight into my laptop.  They are only for use while I'm working and I like the simplicity and it sounds good.  Would I be better off with something lower grade?

Heck no. You already have one of the top cans. Check out the Sony PHA2 as a nice little amp/DAC combo out of your laptop. Should sound much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back