AKG K812 Pro
Jul 2, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #2,626 of 4,825
About 200 hrs for me when I started to hear them open up
I'm using my K812s for the first time right now and they sound very nice especially considering that they're plugged straight into my Wavelength Proton DAC.  How long should they take to "burn-in" and sound their best?  These are my first set of high-end headphones so I don't have anything to compare them to unfortunately.

about 200 hrs for me when they started to open up

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #2,627 of 4,825
The review should say at what level of loudness the auditioning has been done. Otherwise, it is not really possible to judge a review.  I normally listen to music at a low volume. Above 80db there is a real danger of damaging the hearing capacity. Distortions > 100db are completely irrelevant to me. Same for sibilants at these levels of loudness. I guess that most of the reviews are based on listening at a relatively high volume.

+1, I usually listen to around 60-75 db

Jul 2, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #2,629 of 4,825
About 200 hrs for me when I started to hear them open up
about 200 hrs for me when they started to open up

About 200 hours for me when they started to open up

Jul 2, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #2,630 of 4,825
I'm using my K812s for the first time right now and they sound very nice especially considering that they're plugged straight into my Wavelength Proton DAC.  How long should they take to "burn-in" and sound their best?  These are my first set of high-end headphones so I don't have anything to compare them to unfortunately.

Of course I was burning in my Toxic Cables BW around the same time, but 150-200 hours is my approximation. :)

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #2,632 of 4,825
Groovin on the new BlueNote cd by Bobby Hutcherson, "Enjoy the View". This is a first class return to form for the famed vibraphonist . Joining our man is David Sanborn on sax, jumping Joey DeFrancisco on Hammond B3 organ,and trumpet , and the esteemed Billy Hart on drums. This a very fine jazz recording brought to life on the K812. Vibes just sing and swing, the organ has the warm and rich soaring sound that only a master of the B3 can deliver.Hart on drums cracks, burns, rolls and rocks through every track. Once again the 812 delivers a stupendous audio recreation of this event. Highly recommended for the musically inclinded head-fiers out there.(Also available for download and on vinyl.)

Jul 3, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #2,633 of 4,825
MacBob, when you have time, have a listen to Shelby Lynne's tribute to Dusty Springfield, Just a Little Loving. It's mind blowingly good on the 812: that's when you get to hear the timbre and emotions of her voice. :) Moves me every single time.

Jul 3, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #2,637 of 4,825
Jul 3, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #2,638 of 4,825
Without a doubt, Tyll is a class act and his work in the field has been groundbreaking. I enjoy reading nearly article and post on his site, Innerfidelity. But having said that, I'm not always in 100% Agreement with his conclusions. I recognize the engineering expertise he brings, but ultimatly it's all about how each of us hear the sound from the phones. Other than Tyll and a handful of posters on this thread, the vast majority of people who have bought the K812 just have not encountered the treble issues he cited.
I would say that based on the overwhelming positive reviews on this thread vs a few negative ones,(primarily posted by people who have never even heard the 812 themselves), I would say the K812 is one of the top dynamic open backed set of cans on the market. And after many months of continuous enjoyment with mine with different amps and across many music genres, the K812 is still My favorite go to set of cans.

not trolling but most of the positive raps are coming from the same people who post here regularly. don't think that makes this can a top open-backed dynamic just yet. seems like not many people have heard this can or if they have then they've not posted here.

guess i fall into the other minority that didn't give this can a big rap after hearing it.

Jul 3, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #2,639 of 4,825
not trolling but most of the positive raps are coming from the same people who post here regularly. don't think that makes this can a top open-backed dynamic just yet. seems like not many people have heard this can or if they have then they've not posted here.

guess i fall into the other minority that didn't give this can a big rap after hearing it.

Well, which is why I encourage people to give it a try and see if its sig does it for them. No substitute. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back