AKG K702 Impressions.
Mar 26, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #166 of 636
Ok then, are you saying sir that there's no benefit in burning in the 702. So would you say it's a waste of time doing it for this phone. Probably not, because I thought I heard some improvements IMO. Anyway I think I just have to stop doing it, and try concentrating on putting them on my ear and continue listening to music. Maybe we all just want to hear many good music on our phone that we are doing everything we can in anyway to produce and hear quality audio in our system.

Mar 26, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #167 of 636
You can certainly do anything you wish to get the best music from your system as you can. However, to date, there has never been any reliable data or theory to suggest that burning in headphones can or does make any audible improvement. 

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #169 of 636
Quote:
You can certainly do anything you wish to get the best music from your system as you can. However, to date, there has never been any reliable data or theory to suggest that burning in headphones can or does make any audible improvement. 

After some use the drivers get more mellow and flexible, and not stiff as the first day. I see it as a  jeans and shoes get the shape of your body/foot, or motors needs some run.

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #170 of 636
Acix - while I understand the claim made. It is not backed by a rigorous demonstration of need, or audibility (or an explanation of why "burn in" is always better and doesn't make the sound flabby over time). Much less data to support it. That's all I'm saying.

Besides which, there is a much better claim towards the pad's softening and adjusting the seal and ear/driver placement.

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #171 of 636
I'm loving my K702s. They're my first ever hi-fi set, and the sound signature is perfect for me: a wide soundstage with good accuracy across the whole spectrum, with a significantly recessed bass. Maybe I'll find a better set someday, but this is a better intro set than I could have ever asked for.

Quote:

I don't understand the lack of evidence. People use microphones attached to spectrum analyzers to get an impression of the sound signature, right? Why is pre and post burn-in not reliable? Wouldn't the K702 show a bass spike in that regard? 

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #172 of 636
Really enjoying my well used K701, and its brand of neutrality... be it pad, driver or cable burn-in whatever it is its a good sound.

Mar 26, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #173 of 636
Quote:
I don't understand the lack of evidence. People use microphones attached to spectrum analyzers to get an impression of the sound signature, right? Why is pre and post burn-in not reliable? Wouldn't the K702 show a bass spike in that regard? 

That's my point... they do. Nobody who has done this has shown audible change with burn in. Those who claim improvements use listening impressions, and subjective measures - not Data or objective measures. Even Tyll's extensive measurements were inconclusive at best regarding audibility, and what changes were measured (very small) were attributed to pads, not driver changes. 

Mar 26, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #174 of 636
The first couple of hours of run in were important and there was the honeymoon phase that I had to get over. I haven't heard anything get better a few weeks after getting mine. It still sounds very accurate and neutral. I must have reached the 300 hour mark by now and I haven't heard anything dramatic or subtle with the exception of the first 2 - 3 hours after I just got them delivered. I have heard some top of the line headphones that are much more expensive like the Sennheiser HD-800 and HD-700 along with the Beyerdynamic T1 or T5p and the Audeze LCD-3, but none can match the value per dollar of the AKG K 701, Q 701 or K 702. This is truly a reference pair of headphones that can be purchased brand new from Amazon for under $290 dollars shipped. I paid a premium of $350 dollars to get them from HeadRoom Corporation, but I still think that it's a very good deal for the price in comparison to the features and the sound performance. I'd say that the K 702 is competitive with the HD-700 for several hundreds of dollars less. Both are closely matched together, but the HD-800 pulls away as the decisive victor now that I have had the opportunity to listen and make comparisons.

Mar 26, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #175 of 636
You should try listening to the East Village Opera Company with the AKG K 702. It's contemporary opera classics and it's a pretty decent test for most pairs of headphones especially the K 702 regarding the sound stage and imaging performance. I'm listening to Olde School on Spotify Premium using my AKG K 702 right now and it comes across as a big beautiful sound that is highly accurate and neutral. Bass impact and texture is particularly well fleshed out on this album and it's a fun listen to rock and electronic versions of classic opera pieces. It may not be your cup of tea though. The original East Village Opera Company album in 2005 is a favorite classic of mine and I own it. It's much more accessible and dynamic than Olde School released in 2008. Listen to both albums loud!

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #176 of 636
You should try listening to the East Village Opera Company with the AKG K 702. It's contemporary opera classics and it's a pretty decent test for most pairs of headphones especially the K 702 regarding the sound stage and imaging performance. I'm listening to Olde School on Spotify Premium using my AKG K 702 right now and it comes across as a big beautiful sound that is highly accurate and neutral. Bass impact and texture is particularly well fleshed out on this album and it's a fun listen to rock and electronic versions of classic opera pieces. It may not be your cup of tea though. The original East Village Opera Company album in 2005 is a favorite classic of mine and I own it. It's much more accessible and dynamic than Olde School released in 2008. Listen to both albums loud!

If I may add, try newer pop music, your akg702's will definitely shine in this kind of genre

Apr 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #177 of 636
The AKG 702 do get better with time I have had mine for 4 months and the improvement is very noticeable. They Loosen up over time and become more transparent only letting the music do the talking. The bang for the ratio is very high driven by a Little Dot MKIII.     

May 15, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #178 of 636
I've had my k702s for about two years. Right out of the box they sounded thin and strident, with lots of detail and commendable soundstage, but they didn't sound right. They had little bass, a tizzy upper end and a sound that was definitely fatiguing after even ten minutes of listening. After 300 hours of burn in, it's like a different headphone altogether. The harshness disappeared, the tonal colors became rich and deep, the soundstage now populated by flesh and blood musicians playing their instruments.... Not only was it not subtle, it was night and day to my ears. Instead of being fatiguing, I can now wear them all night at even higher listening levels.

Just about everything in high end audio sounds better after burn in: tubes, transistors, cartridges, speakers, headphones, and even cables!

Measurements are useless in proving or disproving this phenomena. Like the saying goes, "if it sounds good and measures good, it's good. If it sounds good but measures bad, you measured the wrong thing."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back