AKG K702 Impressions.
Apr 13, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #617 of 636
I have the Beyerdynamic DT880s and find them a clear improvement over the K702s. Bass is similar but they have better clarity, but do have that spike in the treble that many beyerdynamic headphones have.
The amount of clarity can be regulated by a combination of a classic OFC cable and OCC cable.
If I have only OCC cables connected (from Source to AMP and from AMP to K702), the K702 has too much clarity. If the OCC cable is only between the AMP and K702, Clarity is just right and I enjoy the sound.

May 9, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #618 of 636
Anybody also have Focal Clear, what do you think about k702 after switching from Clear?

May 9, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #619 of 636
As advised here I switched to Neumann ndh30 and I correct both of them with morphit.
I think clear is really different, they could be complementary considering you can get k702 for a good price. Staging is really awesome. But it needs eq.

May 10, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #620 of 636
Anybody also have Focal Clear, what do you think about k702 after switching from Clear?
I have had the K702 since it came out, ditto the Clear OG. Clear is not a bassy headphone, but it has deeper bass than the K702. The AKG has a wider soundstage, but with the Clear, music happens inside your head. The AKG is a lighter headphone, and it sits more comfortably on my head. Most reviewers found that the K702 needs more powerful amplification than the Clear, which can be powered by just about anything, including a phone. But I use the K702 nearly every day for watching TV and occasionally for music, powered by my AVR; the Clear is what I use for a serious interval of music.

May 23, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #621 of 636
Green = K702
Blue = K701
source: DIY-Audio-Heaven

k702-vs-k701.png
Very interesting that K701 and K702 would sound so similar, as they actually have different drivers.
The K701 has the 50mm driver https://www.akg.com/Headphones/Professional Headphones/K701.html
while the K702 has the 45mm driver https://www.akg.com/Headphones/Professional Headphones/K702.html
I have heard people saying that K701 sounds more lively with female voices while K702 sounds more stern and more tuned towards instruments. Would really like someone who has both to share his/her insights on these two headphones.

Jun 19, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #622 of 636
So the recent blackout on a certain other social media website made me decide to finally go ahead and make an account here, and I thought this would be a great place to start since I recently got a pair of these.

Hope this isn't too long for the first impressions thread lol, but didn't feel quite thorough enough for a complete review.

It's important to note before reading my impressions that gear wise, I haven't listened to as much as many people on here. I have Dali Zensor 1 bookshelf speakers & a Jamo J12 sub, in a suboptimal room (some major dips and peaks in the low end regardless of sub placement) for my non-headphone listening, and as far as headphones go, I have these K702s, Sennheiser HD25s, the original CAL!, and Sony DR-BTN200s for my bluetooth listening. I've also listened to I believe some variant of the Sony MDR-7506s, and the Sennheiser HD280s, but no other well known headphones.

For amp/dac I don't have anything nice/fancy but I've tried comparing them with just my phone (Redmi Note 8) where they don't get quite loud enough, my iPad Air 3 (where to my pleasant surprise they do), my Asus B550-E motherboard, my Pioneer VSX-531 receiver, and my Behringer UMC1820 audio interface, which is what I currently have them plugged into. It might just be placebo/in my head, but it feels like the soundstage is slightly wider with the UMC1820 and VSX-531 than my other devices, but otherwise it feels like the only difference is volume and even on my phone they sound fantastic, just a little quiet. At some point in future I'll probably invest in a cheap portable amp just so I can drive them properly with my phone, but for now I'd say these were much easier to drive than I expected.

The first thing I noticed about these was that they're my first headphones that are sensitive to head positioning. If my ears sit more forward in the cups, the soundstage is wider, whereas if they sit further back the soundstage narrows a bit. Usually I prefer the former but in some songs with a less well defined centre image I'll move the cups forward a bit.

Speaking of soundstage, that's what I bought them for, and as hoped they completely blew me away. With certain really immersive recordings, while listening with eyes closed I've actually flinched when it felt like an instrument or vocalist was moving just past me.

Frequency response wise, I don't have golden ears so take this with a pinch of salt, but to me it feels like the highlight with these has been female vocals, guitar, and drums - which I think means mids and mid/upper bass?

I expected these to be thinner in the bass region than they are. It reaches low, just doesn't have quite as much slam behind it as my CAL!s. Outside of EDM though I actually find the bass from these to be more satisfying than my other headphones, because the wider soundstage gives me the illusion that the bass is filling a room like a sub rather than just vibrating the inside of my head. Am I alone in that respect or does anyone else also feel like a bit of width adds something there?

If I had a complaint it'd be the initial comfort, as the headband was really uncomfortable for me the first few days and left my head stupidly sore, but thankfully it's loosened up now and these do seem to disappear on the head like some people say.

Are we allowed to link playlists here? Since getting these I've put together a Spotify playlist of the songs that I most enjoyed on these and thought I might share, but don't want to break any rules.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #623 of 636
I am going to buy the Q701 or K702, do they sound very different when compared to each other ? How about when changing pads to memory foam(K712) pads ? what about cheap memory foam pads sold on eBay and amazon ?

Nov 21, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #624 of 636
So the recent blackout on a certain other social media website made me decide to finally go ahead and make an account here, and I thought this would be a great place to start since I recently got a pair of these.

Hope this isn't too long for the first impressions thread lol, but didn't feel quite thorough enough for a complete review.

It's important to note before reading my impressions that gear wise, I haven't listened to as much as many people on here. I have Dali Zensor 1 bookshelf speakers & a Jamo J12 sub, in a suboptimal room (some major dips and peaks in the low end regardless of sub placement) for my non-headphone listening, and as far as headphones go, I have these K702s, Sennheiser HD25s, the original CAL!, and Sony DR-BTN200s for my bluetooth listening. I've also listened to I believe some variant of the Sony MDR-7506s, and the Sennheiser HD280s, but no other well known headphones.

For amp/dac I don't have anything nice/fancy but I've tried comparing them with just my phone (Redmi Note 8) where they don't get quite loud enough, my iPad Air 3 (where to my pleasant surprise they do), my Asus B550-E motherboard, my Pioneer VSX-531 receiver, and my Behringer UMC1820 audio interface, which is what I currently have them plugged into. It might just be placebo/in my head, but it feels like the soundstage is slightly wider with the UMC1820 and VSX-531 than my other devices, but otherwise it feels like the only difference is volume and even on my phone they sound fantastic, just a little quiet. At some point in future I'll probably invest in a cheap portable amp just so I can drive them properly with my phone, but for now I'd say these were much easier to drive than I expected.

The first thing I noticed about these was that they're my first headphones that are sensitive to head positioning. If my ears sit more forward in the cups, the soundstage is wider, whereas if they sit further back the soundstage narrows a bit. Usually I prefer the former but in some songs with a less well defined centre image I'll move the cups forward a bit.

Speaking of soundstage, that's what I bought them for, and as hoped they completely blew me away. With certain really immersive recordings, while listening with eyes closed I've actually flinched when it felt like an instrument or vocalist was moving just past me.

Frequency response wise, I don't have golden ears so take this with a pinch of salt, but to me it feels like the highlight with these has been female vocals, guitar, and drums - which I think means mids and mid/upper bass?

I expected these to be thinner in the bass region than they are. It reaches low, just doesn't have quite as much slam behind it as my CAL!s. Outside of EDM though I actually find the bass from these to be more satisfying than my other headphones, because the wider soundstage gives me the illusion that the bass is filling a room like a sub rather than just vibrating the inside of my head. Am I alone in that respect or does anyone else also feel like a bit of width adds something there?

If I had a complaint it'd be the initial comfort, as the headband was really uncomfortable for me the first few days and left my head stupidly sore, but thankfully it's loosened up now and these do seem to disappear on the head like some people say.

Are we allowed to link playlists here? Since getting these I've put together a Spotify playlist of the songs that I most enjoyed on these and thought I might share, but don't want to break any rules.
I agree with you on the bass.. to me it's just so tight and refined compared to 'darker' headphones. But it's not to everyone's taste. I've really come around to liking these more than I did initially. One big winner for me on the comfort was: cut pieces of memory foam and secure it with hockey tape! Basically I cut some foam to go under the strap (and add a little more along the edges). The foam used was just cheap window sealer stuff.
You can kind of customise it and then I used hockey tape to wrap it all. I may try to post a photo here. As long as you get your 'head form' right, the auto adjustment still totally works and now are my most comfortable headphones, and also work great with my old LG g8 for portable!

Attachments

• akg.jpg
    akg.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Nov 26, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #625 of 636
Does anyone know if you can install drivers from a K712 into a K702 enclosure for the purpose of repairing an old headphone?
I'm also wondering whether the K701 and K702 measure relatively the same, but the K701's drivers are larger, so shouldn't they sound better?

Dec 12, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #626 of 636
Also posted this in the K712 thread :

I got myself a pair recently made in Austria and paired with L&P W4 I was impressed watching a movie on Netflix. The micro details this relativo cheap headphones are capable of are impressive, and the wide stage is big and realistic. Also the instrument separation is good too. Now I want to mod it to hear it in balanced mode 4.4 .
Just order some high quality leather earpads to take the comfort to the next level.
For the price paid this is a bargain in this busy world of open back headphones.
Really recommend to anyone who want a good sounding open back headphone and very comfortable at a bargain price.

Attachments​

• Screenshot_20231212-192535_(1).png
    Screenshot_20231212-192535_(1).png
    494.8 KB · Views: 0

Dec 13, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #627 of 636
The K702 remains an imaging champ: I was watching a YouTube video of a string quartet, and I found it was easy to pinpoint where in the audience a loud cougher was sitting. And later, when a small group of people interrupted the piece because they thought it was over, I found them as well. And they coughed, too.

Dec 13, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #628 of 636
The K702 remains an imaging champ: I was watching a YouTube video of a string quartet, and I found it was easy to pinpoint where in the audience a loud cougher was sitting. And later, when a small group of people interrupted the piece because they thought it was over, I found them as well. And they coughed, too.
Yes they are very good. I will replace the earpads, headband, cable and make them to take balance cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back