AKG K702 Headband mods
Sep 23, 2011 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

tracylynn MkII

Head-Fier
Fresh out of the box I loved these things, everything was right about them, comfort was fine and they rested very lightly on the ears. Headband isn't that bad I thought...hours later I start getting a headache which gets worse and worse. Eventually I decide to call it a day and go to sleep.

Next day I'm better again and put the headphones on again, a few hours later, headache again. No, it can't be the headband.

Third day in a row? Ok I need to do something about this, these things sound too good to give up.

I remember an old thread where someone cut off the bumps (this one DOES have 8 by the way) but no way am I going to do that...better to find a way to fill in the gaps than cut out the bumps.

My first attempt has given a significant increase to comfort, and while it itself isn't specifically filling in gaps it does soften the feeling of the bumps on one's head and hopefully this way I won't be plagued by chronic headaches...

If there are any tips fellow 70x users have, I will gladly take them, if you have pictures, even better.

Here is the wool pad mod I am currently sporting (thinking of doubling up when I can find some more):

Sep 23, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 52
It's about 5mm at the thickest, but must flatten when pressed against my head, so it isn't causing any side effects on the 'phones headband's stress that I can see.

And by trimming do you mean in the sense of making it thinner or cutting through where the ridges would be situated or changing the circular shape (currently they don't actually even go over the edges of the band, they fit quite nicely!)?

From my first extended period with them on, I really can tell there's a difference. I only am feeling a very slight onset of pain whereas yesterday at this point it would be awful, so I deem this a success. I could still try this out with memory foam however (maybe 0.5-1cm thickness) to make it look a bit more professional...

Sep 23, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 52
What I do to fix the issue is when I put on the headphones, I use my fingers to push up the sides of the headband and basically overextend the elastic.  It doesn't break obviously but the plastic on plastic friction seizes the motion of the headband so it can't pull down into my head and that greatly reduces the pressure exerted on the top of my head.  Its been a great solution that allows me to wear the headphones for much longer periods of time. 

Someday I'll swap out the leather strap for a strap of soft suede or something that will provide incredible comfort.

Sep 24, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #5 of 52

Quote:
What I do to fix the issue is when I put on the headphones, I use my fingers to push up the sides of the headband and basically overextend the elastic.  It doesn't break obviously but the plastic on plastic friction seizes the motion of the headband so it can't pull down into my head and that greatly reduces the pressure exerted on the top of my head.  Its been a great solution that allows me to wear the headphones for much longer periods of time. 

Someday I'll swap out the leather strap for a strap of soft suede or something that will provide incredible comfort.

Mine couldn't do that with friction alone....

More sellotape it is then....

Sep 24, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #6 of 52
Now that I have a leather sewing machine, some lamb skin and a lot of faux leather, I want to start crafting up some more bands for other headphones than just Grado.  I should buy a pair of AKG headphones for the measurements and see what could be developed.  It looks like maybe something of the BeyerDynamics snap-on on velcro-on might work best to wrap the existing band.  Interesting stuff.

Sep 28, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #7 of 52

Quote:
Now that I have a leather sewing machine, some lamb skin and a lot of faux leather, I want to start crafting up some more bands for other headphones than just Grado.  I should buy a pair of AKG headphones for the measurements and see what could be developed.  It looks like maybe something of the BeyerDynamics snap-on on velcro-on might work best to wrap the existing band.  Interesting stuff.

Please send me a PM if you get further with this and give a ballpark for costs if you'd be willing to this for others :)

Sep 28, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #8 of 52
The headband on mine don't cause pain per-se, but the little bumps cause irritation that starts to make my head very itchy on the contact points. I was thinking of looking around a fabric/craft store this weekend to get ideas for a solution; a snap-over band like wje mentions sounds good to me!

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #9 of 52
I'm going to try to remove the leather headband at the two socket holes and flip it to the side with no bumps. I'm scared to do this though! If its successful I will make a slip on cover for it!

Update! Don't do this, I was going to try but I first made a headband cover which works without having to do any damage to your headphones!

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #11 of 52
I have a really ghetto mod. I just grabbed a block of foam and attached it to the headband with electrical tape. Works perfectly. They still aren't as comfy as stax sr-009s though 
k701smile.gif

Sep 7, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #13 of 52
Hey There,
 Just got me a pair and they are great apart from the head band issue you are talking about.
I was thinking about returning them as although I love the sound they are quite painful to wear.
It is ridiculous that you guys are modding them they should be good to go.
Maybe I should have got the anniversary ones but they are lot more for pretty much the same cans?
Tell me do they soften over time if not could you recommend an alternative pair?
Currently i have a slither of foam with zip ties holding it in place!

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #14 of 52
Hey, 
so i decided to return the AKG 702's as the headband was leaving severe dents after wearing them for 6 hours.
I thought they were great and wished I could get past the discomfort.

I was using them for music production and was thinking of getting the Anniversary purely because the headband but it seems they are not as neutral as the original 702's?
if any one has them how is that headband worth the extra? 

It seems crazy that the  price hike on the Anniversary is so much I imagine you could almost get the HD800 secondhand!

Is there an equivalent to the 702's? I seem to be just looking out for the comfy headband element (HD 650) 

any advice would be appreciated it took quite a while to settle on the 702's and I loved the sound, very neutral but really couldn't wear them due to the discomfort

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #15 of 52
If you're truly looking for something truly neutral within a reasonable price range then I'd recommend the Dt 48 E's by Beyer. I can't speak for the comfort, but at least they have a more mainstream headband design, and produce an extremely analytical sound, so if these are for work purposes, then perfect, and if you enjoy an unadulterated sound, even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back