AKG K702 Headband mods
Oct 2, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #31 of 52
Covered the thin rubber with a layer of adhesive back felt:

I don't think it looks bad at all. It looks better in person too.

Oct 3, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #32 of 52
Looks simple yet effective! I suppose it depends on the shape of your head whether the headband is uncomfortable or not, and whether you have hair (which I don't :) )...

Oct 10, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #33 of 52
It's excellent to see people still using this thread, so show us how your mod came out Ashade! :)

Oct 11, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #36 of 52
Was it easy? NO. I even broke a niddle! A real pain in the ass, pardon my french, but I think it was worth it. I messed up the bottom a little, but it doesn´t look that bad after all.

Oct 11, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #38 of 52
Thank you man! But I gotta say I actually decided to remove the bumps because I saw your great job first, so I owe you the primal idea.

In fact, I started sewing, and I forgot you were skipping one of the points each time. When I realized it, I was already very advanced, so I modified the pattern...

I'll take a picture of the thread I used. Again, thank you very much for your great original idea!

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #39 of 52
Hi There,
 I returned my 702 in the end I am currently looking at the 65th Anniversary mainly because of the headband.
Do they sound the same? as I liked the 702 for music production.
 are they worth the extra or should I go for something else 

Nov 10, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #40 of 52
Hi There,
 I returned my 702 in the end I am currently looking at the 65th Anniversary mainly because of the headband.
Do they sound the same? as I liked the 702 for music production.
 are they worth the extra or should I go for something else 

They do sound different and regarding the price difference... there's a lot of controversy. I did all the possible mods out there to my Q's and I'm very happy. You should read more about the differences between the x7xx series and decide by yourself.

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #42 of 52
It's the bumps what produces the pain. If you remove them everything is solved. I've done it in two Q's already and the difference is huge. I don't think the difference between a modded band and a flat band in a K712 is that big. Mine's have more cushion as well which I suppose helps better to comfort.

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #43 of 52
This has to be the easiest, cheapest, most easily replaceable solution to the K702 headband.  Bonus comfort if you cut off the bumps.

url]

3 layers of paper towels.  Makes them just about as comfortable to the Philips X1.

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #44 of 52
  This has to be the easiest, cheapest, most easily replaceable solution to the K702 headband.  Bonus comfort if you cut off the bumps.

url]

3 layers of paper towels.  Makes them just about as comfortable to the Philips X1.

LOL. I tried that as well but, when the paper starts rotting and smelling bad, you will prefer something a little bit more durable. Look at this nice job:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/582276/q701-appreciation-thread/5070#post_10107106

I posted elsewhere on the forum just before this, but i figured i'd share here too.

$12 piece of leather from amazon
$4 for E6000 glue from michaels
1 pair of socks cut up and sewn together on the edges
razer blade to cut off bumps and trim excess leather

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #45 of 52

Users who are viewing this thread

Back