AKG K702 Headband mods
Sep 11, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #17 of 52
I got my k702's about two months ago, and I also found the bumps on the headband getting rather painful after about an hour or so. I decided to modify the headband a little, and here's the result: 

I cut off the bumps, smoothened the surface a little using coarse sandpaper and glued on four layers of thin foam. Then I stitched the leather on (1,5 mm thick ox leather), which took me about an hour and a half. Now I can enjoy the k702's for hours on end!

Sep 11, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #18 of 52
If you're truly looking for something truly neutral within a reasonable price range then I'd recommend the Dt 48 E's by Beyer. I can't speak for the comfort, but at least they have a more mainstream headband design, and produce an extremely analytical sound, so if these are for work purposes, then perfect, and if you enjoy an unadulterated sound, even better.

They clamp and cause sweat build up. My 701's are more comfortable. Sound is subjective, but the DT48 has less bass impact then the 701, but offers a more pure and faithful mid range. YMMV. Never heard the 702, though.

Sep 12, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #19 of 52

Quote:
  I got my k702's about two months ago, and I also found the bumps on the headband getting rather painful after about an hour or so. I decided to modify the headband a little, and here's the result: 

I cut off the bumps, smoothened the surface a little using coarse sandpaper and glued on four layers of thin foam. Then I stitched the leather on (1,5 mm thick ox leather), which took me about an hour and a half. Now I can enjoy the k702's for hours on end!

Nice looking, I'm going to do something very similar in a couple of days. I already ordered the leather.

Sep 12, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #20 of 52
Thanks!

Removing the bumps is actually quite easy, they're a sort of "stickers". Once you've made a small incision where they meet the headband, they should peel right off. As for the headband itself: it's a strip of very thin plastic covered in leather. If you're going to stitch by hand, as I did, using the stitching at the top of the headband as a guideline may be helpful. I used quite a thick needle, specific for leather, which went through the plastic easily. I didn't use a thimble, for which my fingers still hate me
rolleyes.gif

Post some pics when you're done!

Happy stitching and happy listening!

Sep 12, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #21 of 52
Thank you for the advices! I wasn´t thinking in removing the bumps but the more I read about it the more convinced I am. Your advices have been definitive. I´ll come back with pictures when my mod is done!

By the way, you did a great job with that sewing, I don´t know if I´ll be able to achieve the same level...

Sep 13, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #22 of 52
You're welcome! As you can see in the top picture, I Ieft the most outer bumps in place as a reference for how much foam I had apply. The way I went about is as follows: remove the bumps (cut all the way around), apply the foam, glue the leather in place onto the foam  (I cut it to size after putting it in place) and stitch. As for the stitching: it's actually fairly easy: I started by sticking the needle in from the top of the headband (I used the holes that were already there originally, see my third pic)), go around and in from the top again. By working first from left to right and then from right to left I got the "crossed" stitch effect. Hope this is of some help... Good luck!

Sep 15, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #24 of 52
I used this thin (about 1 mm) foam that is also used for packaging electronic equipment. Really don't know what the stuff is called. ..

Sep 17, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #25 of 52
I started the modding... Just the sewing left, but I think I will wait a while more because I messed up buying the leather 
blink.gif

MUUUUUUCCHHH more comfortable now.

Sep 24, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #26 of 52
Sorry for the slow response, I was on holiday last week... Looks like the project is coming along nicely!

Sep 25, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #28 of 52
I told you 
wink.gif
 I found it helpful to use a pair of small pliers to pull the needle through, you might want to try that too. 

Oct 2, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #30 of 52
Just modded mine as well. I removed the 4 middle bumps, leaving the outer 4 bumps. I then covered the ugly parts with a piece of black thin rubbery material which I cut from a backpack strap. Right now it is just stuck on with double sided tape, I may either glue it on or sew it on eventually. It took me a whole year to finally do this. The bumps didn't bother me as bad as some other people claim, but I figured that since I'm never ever selling this headphone ever, that I may as well hack it up and make it more comfortable. It doesn't look bad though really, but honestly headphones are made to sound good, not win beauty contests. I've only had them on for about 15 minutes since doing this, but so far so good. They feel lighter on my head which really just means that the weight is distributed more evenly now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back