AKG K701
Apr 12, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #16 of 30
Thanks for all the replies.

Room40, I will bare the Burson in mind. Thanks.

How does the AKG K702 sound compared to the K701?

Plus, I've read in places that the K701 is known to be on the analytical side of sound. When they mean 'analytical', does that mean the K701 is a very revealing headphone.

Apr 12, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by TDL-speakers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the AKG K702 sound compared to the K701?

I could be wrong but I've always thought the only differences were (1) the detachable cable, and (2) black vs white.

Apr 12, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #18 of 30
The K702 and K701 are sonically identical. The only difference is color, a detachable cable on the 702's and the number of bumps on the headband.

As for being analytical, that just means that they are highly detailed, and they are. They produce extremely accurate and clear sound.

Hope this helps.
k701smile.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Farnsworth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K702 and K701 are sonically identical. The only difference is color, a detachable cable on the 702's and the number of bumps on the headband.

As for being analytical, that just means that they are highly detailed, and they are. They produce extremely accurate and clear sound.

Hope this helps.
k701smile.gif

I was thinking about getting the K702, maybe I might not bother buying it, if it sounds the same as the K701.

No problem, your help was great.

Apr 12, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Hope this helps.
k701smile.gif

yeh forgot about the bumps; but dont the 701s come in 7 or 8 bumps??

Apr 12, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #21 of 30
yea, the k701's have 7 bumps and the K702's have 8. People regularly complain about the bumps on both but more so with the K701's because it has one bump in the center of the head. I have had no problems with the bumps on my K702's.

Just another thing to think about.

Apr 12, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

yea, the k701's have 7 bumps and the K702's have 8. People regularly complain about the bumps on both but more so with the K701's because it has one bump in the center of the head. I have had no problems with the bumps on my K702's.

They actually might have done away with that center bump, because I just counted the bumps on my k701, and there's definitely 8. I just got mine in December, so it may have been a pretty recent update to the line.

Apr 12, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stein /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They actually might have done away with that center bump, because I just counted the bumps on my k701, and there's definitely 8. I just got mine in December, so it may have been a pretty recent update to the line.

Just received mine today and they have 8 bumps

Apr 12, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

I have my issues with the bumps on my K702's. Caused me a lot of scalp soreness and now I'm quite estranged from them. They sound great, but not great enough for me to use them in preference to my more comfortable alternatives.
frown.gif
Since discovering they were the source of my scalp soreness, I now use them for only short listening sessions. I'd say 'pity', but it's not so bad, since as I said, the alternatives are definitely there that I can definitely afford.

Apr 12, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #26 of 30
I've had the 702 to go along with my 701 and ended up selling it as it was identical to the 701. I've had quite a few amps and the 70x are very amp dependent. You can read the review in my sig between the Micro and GLite. Also, a local Head-Fi'er had the Heed amp and was not overly impressed with it overall. There are better amps like the Headroom Micro that are better and more versatile.

Apr 12, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #28 of 30
I alternate between my HD600s and K701s frequently because I appreciate their differences in presenting music.

There's just something about using the K701s with acoustic music that make them pretty damn good because of the detail in the instruments. I love how you can hear the microdetail with things like bongos or snares being hit.

The only irk I have with the K701s that I've read mentioned before is that it has an "odd" tonality with the treble and some region with the mids. Violin sounds don't sound exactly like a violin for example. It sounds like some important tone from the mids and upper treble have been removed, making it sound artificial at times. This is compared directly with the HD600 under the same system (Marantz CD63mkII -> EF2A). The HD600 for example reproduces violin much more naturally. My roommate plays the violin so to me the difference was apparent.

Other than that, the K701 sounds great and I'm glad you're happy with yours as well. I like the fact that you can use it in monitoring changes in equipment because to me, they're pretty transparent. I was able to hear the difference in sound-stage and imaging between my CDP and old uDAC readily.

Apr 12, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #30 of 30
I'm a new K701 owner, had a set of loaners over the weekend to try at home with my own setup. Just brought my own new set home this afternoon. I chose the K701 over the Grado SR325is, the thing that made me go AKG was their excellence in transperancy and clarity. I'm using mine with the (rather) new NuForce Icon HDP, works really really well. I've tried a set of K701 with Heed Canamp in a store a few months back, from memory I'd say the Heed gave the nth degree of lush (by that I mean lush #2 in this thread). The Icon HDP has a very well defined and taut bass without any colorations. There's no trace of veil on the highs. I haven't heard any sibilance with this combo. Amp wize I need to turn the volume to about twelve o'clock before the headphones start to shine, at around two or three we're really talking dynamics in the higher league...though on some recordings this will produce a unhealthy amount of noice for my delicate and dear eardrums
tongue.gif
My Denons will play slightly louder at the same volume setting. One forum member said he thought the Icon HDP compressed the soundstage, I can't for the life of me believe in this... I wonder how my K701 would sound "uncompressed"
wink.gif

All in all ->
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back