AKG K701
Apr 9, 2010 at 11:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

TDL-speakers

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I use a pair of AKG K701 headphones. I use it with my Tag McLaren PA10 preamp, and I'm pleasantly surprised with the sound. These are really fantastic headphones.

And I'm aware the K701s go better with a Headphone amp. I've read in places that some people like to use their K701 with Leben gear?? I don't know much about Leben, but always liked the look of their amps.

Also, are the K701s known to be a very neutral sounding headphones with low coloration?

Apr 9, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #2 of 30
Acix will be here soon to answer all your questions in an unbiased way about the K701s.
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by TDL-speakers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,

I use a pair of AKG K701 headphones. I use it with my Tag McLaren PA10 preamp, and I'm pleasantly surprised with the sound. These are really fantastic headphones.

And I'm aware the K701s go better with a Headphone amp. I've read in places that some people like to use their K701 with Leben gear?? I don't know much about Leben, but always liked the look of their amps.

Also, are the K701s known to be a very neutral sounding headphones with low coloration?

I too like my K701/K702(I have both) a lot... But find them to be a bit distant and not fully saturated tonally.

BTW, do you play any instrument or have experience with live, unamplified music?

Or with hifi speakers/other headphones?

Can you compare the K701 sound with the above?

Apr 10, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trysaeder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard there's some pretty good synergy between them.

How many hours of burn in do the K701s need? Makes a difference from buying used or new.

I think some people say around 300hr. I could be very wrong though.

Apr 10, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #8 of 30
i'm waiting for all the jack@$$ folks to show up... instead i'll apologize in advance on their behalf. see, OP, you've just inquired about one of the most loved/hated headphones on this forum. so please excuse all the folks who used to own it and are going to tell you (by way of convincing themselves) why they sold it.
biggrin.gif

seriously, congrats on your headphone purchase. i have a recabled k702, and it takes my music listening to exotic heights.

i will say that the canamp has a wonderful reputation with these phones. and the burn-in time is reportedly very long. so give them patience.

right now, mine have about 100 hours on them, and the highs can be really edgy at higher volumes. but, at normal listening levels, everything sounds pretty great already.

here are some solid state amps i've been looking at pairing w/ my K702...
have fun shopping...

Purity Audio KICAS
Burson Audio HA-160
Sheer Audio HA-006+
Audio-gd C2C

Apr 11, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #9 of 30
Hi ,
I own the AKG K 702 and I love them. I would say that yes, they are a very neutral headphone with great clarity and razor sharp detail.
They reproduce all genres of music well but excel with the light acoustic stuff and with female voices. Rock and heavier stuff isn't their strongest point so I have a set of Denon 2000's which I don for that.
In terms of burn in I can say that when I first had mine they did exhibit some irritating sibilance, which I hated. That rounded off and I can say it was a fairly slow process but couldn't give an accurate figure for the hours. I didn't really notice any other effects of burn/break in but whilst the disappearance of nasty sibilance is easy to notice other gradual changes would be more difficult to hear. Lets not forget that as a species we have a poor sonic memory . I certainly have not noticed the explosion in bass and soundstage etc after precisely 299.5 hours that I have read about. I think that owes more to wishful thinking than fact but I could be wrong.

Apr 11, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Is the Heed Audio canamp a good combination with the K701?

It is a very good combination with K701.

Quote:

Any Heed users here?

Quite a few .... but we are shy
ph34r.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiofil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is a very good combination with K701.

Quite a few .... but we are shy
ph34r.gif

I've so many people say the Canamp synergizes so well with the K70X, but I've never heard anything about it being a good amp in general, only with the k70X.

What do you think about it with other phones if you have much experience?
Is it a solid amp overall?

Apr 12, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex30 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi ,
I own the AKG K 702 and I love them. I would say that yes, they are a very neutral headphone with great clarity and razor sharp detail.
They reproduce all genres of music well but excel with the light acoustic stuff and with female voices. Rock and heavier stuff isn't their strongest point so I have a set of Denon 2000's which I don for that.
In terms of burn in I can say that when I first had mine they did exhibit some irritating sibilance, which I hated. That rounded off and I can say it was a fairly slow process but couldn't give an accurate figure for the hours. I didn't really notice any other effects of burn/break in but whilst the disappearance of nasty sibilance is easy to notice other gradual changes would be more difficult to hear. Lets not forget that as a species we have a poor sonic memory . I certainly have not noticed the explosion in bass and soundstage etc after precisely 299.5 hours that I have read about. I think that owes more to wishful thinking than fact but I could be wrong.

I thought it had an "explosive soundstage" from Day 1, very very impressive soundstage. I've only own a Little Dot MkII amp, and it performed admirably. I am not familiar with the other amps you have mentioned, but IMO if an amp isn't particularly colored in its rendition there isn't that much difference between amps, unless you spend considerably more. Some people say the K701 just needs this particular amp or that amp to sound good, but I guess I just haven't ventured into the amp world enough to really say for sure.

I've only tried it with an LDMKII and a Master One Original and the differences were minor at best. Well... I did try it with a GoVibe Petite and iBasso Boa as well, which were not quite as good as the desktop amps.

Apr 12, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Is the Heed Audio canamp a good combonation with the K701?

Any Heed users here?

Yes and yes. But I'll agree with the notion that the Heed is not particularly impressive with anything other than the 701, IME.
confused_face_2.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by carledwards /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes and yes. But I'll agree with the notion that the Heed is not particularly impressive with anything other than the 701, IME.
confused_face_2.gif

Well that's not really what I was hoping to hear. From what Ive read in the amp forum, the Matrix M-Stage is supposed to be a pretty good match for the k701 as well as being a good amp in general, but I've never heard it myself. It would be so much easier if there were solid facts instead of "Yeah, I think it sounds pretty good" type opinions. :/

Apr 12, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Hello,

TDL... u might want to consider this thread as well http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/bur...4/#post6186768

Have just received my K701s 30 mins ago and was expecting them to sound poor, gutless and weak. Maybe because Im a "head-fi virgin" but even "ampless" playing straight out of my macbook pro from lossless files they sound half reasonable. Cant wait to get my hands on the HA-160
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back