AKG K701 Review Thread
Nov 22, 2005 at 1:07 PM Post #63 of 380
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
And if you look at the freq. response graph of the K701 posted by Jamey of Headroom (and you trust graphs), you'll expect more of a recessed midrange and Big bass than the opposite...
confused.gif

IMHO, the female voice is VERY nice, nicer than HD650. As for the bass, it goes deep low and punchy when it's needed.

Nov 22, 2005 at 1:29 PM Post #64 of 380
A comparison between K 601 and K 701, posted by chamix in the HiFi Forum (translation from German):

After now clearly more than 300 hours of break-in and comparisons between K 701 and L3000 I went to the final rating of the K 601. For the street price of ~€200 this headphone can be seen as a very nice alternative to DT 880 and maybe HD 650, etc., with its own virtues and weaknesses. Some of the remarkable virtues for me are neutrality and coherence. Therefore it pleases equally with every music genre. Nevertheless, in terms of soundstage, dynamics and extension I sound out some weaknesses. These are areas where e.g. HD 650 and DT 880 do a better job now and then. So despite the neutrality, in the long run the mentioned deficiencies would bother me especially with classical music. With less complex music such as rock, pop or electronica I could rather get over them. That's where its fresh and clear sound characteristic is fun to listen to.

The amp used was mainly the CEC HD53R, occasionally the headphone out of the CEC CD5300.

Despite the same membrane technology the K 601 undoubtedly plays in a different league than the K 701. Therefore it unfortunately lacks the absolutely convincing quality in all criteria. But don't get me wrong: With its price category it should by all means be shortlisted or auditioned, resp. For instance it trounces its popular predecessor K 501 in every respect, IMO.

Nov 22, 2005 at 1:36 PM Post #65 of 380
Thanks, Marcel,

if I do buy another headphone, I still feel that it'll be a K601.

Nov 22, 2005 at 2:03 PM Post #66 of 380
Quote:

And if you look at the freq. response graph of the K701 posted by Jamey of Headroom (and you trust graphs), you'll expect more of a recessed midrange and Big bass than the opposite...
confused.gif

I trust graphs a little with the highs but I don't really know how the midrange to bass sounds like by looking at a graph. Example, senns and grados look like they have the same midrange energy with their graphs but the grados and senns dont sound the same at all.... hmm.... I just look at graphs to see if there is any really big deficiency but not to determine what the sound signature will be

Nov 22, 2005 at 6:10 PM Post #67 of 380
My K701s came yesterday, and currently have about 15 hours on them. I haven't had much time for listening to them, and of course they're not broken in yet, but here are some brief impressions.

When I first listened to them, I was using a Perreaux SHX-1 0.5 that I bought from daveman_84 last week. They sounded bad, somewhat reminiscent of old Koss Pro-4AAs: very bassy, not much detail, just generally muddy. Then I tried my Headsave Classic. It was MUCH better, and the 701s became quite enjoyable to listen to. The Perreaux works well with my Sennheiser HD600s, and even better with my Beyer DT831s, but it's not the right amp for the 701s. The 701s seem to be much more sensitive to amplifier differences than the HD600s or the DT831s. I think that the 701s will work best with amps that bring out a lot of detail and have good bass control. My Headsave works fairly well, but I suspect that something like a Gilmore Lite would work even better. It will be interesting to read reports on which amps work well and which don't.

I've read several reports that said that the 701s sound harsh and unpleasant when they're new. I don't agree. I've been listening for harshness, and can't notice anything that I can attribute to the 'phones. They have a very pleasant, musical sound. I can understand why Tyll has fallen in love with them.

I listen to a lot of female vocals (Norah Jones, Diana Krall, Lizz Wright, etc.). I don't notice a big difference in the quality of the voices between the 701s and my HD600s. Where I have noticed a big difference is with background vocalists, especially when there are several. The 701s do a much better job with providing separation between the individual singers, and giving a sense of "air" around them. I'm eager to listen to some choral music. I suspect that the 701s will be quite impressive with it.

At this point the 701s seem to have a bit more deep bass than the HD600s. It's easier to follow what a bass guitarist is doing. The highs are a bit less extended. That could change with breakin. They also have more dynamic impact than the HD600s. That's a weakness with the Sennheisers, so the AKGs offer a nice improvement in that area.

The 701s are more comfortable than my HD600s were when they were new, and I expect that they'll become even better over time.

I'll be breaking in the 701s for the next few days. I'll post another impression later in the week if I have time.

Nov 22, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #68 of 380
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan
Of the headphones I have owned, they sound like a cross between the Senn HD595s and the Sony MDR SA5000s. If those two phones were to have a baby together, the K701 would be the result.

I've only had them on my head for a short while, but I'd have to agree thus far (and no, I did not read this post prior to coming to that conclusion). Owning both the 595 and SA5000, I have thought for months that my perfect can would probably be between the two. We will see if this continues to be the case after they burn in.

These definitely aren't as laid back as the older Senns (I have my frankensenns sitting next to me), and not so wide of a soundstage as comments here had lead me to believe. Probably closer to the 595 as mentioned. If Senn were to make a 650 replacement based on their new 5x5 series with better extension and detail, I imagine it wouldn't be too different from these.

Also, from my brief test with sources/amps on hand so far, these things take more current than I would have expected to drive, without which the bass gets sloppy quick.

I also have a feeling that I'm going to have to try rolling opamps in my M^3 again...

Nov 22, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #70 of 380
Quote:

Originally Posted by devwild
Also, from my brief test with sources/amps on hand so far, these things take more current than I would have expected to drive, without which the bass gets sloppy quick.

Have to agree these are more power hungry than their impedance/efficiency specs indicate. Was hoping they'd sound full off a portable (even if overkill), however have to max iPod volume just to get a decent sound.

Nov 22, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #71 of 380
Hi Jazz,

thank you very much for translating my findings about the K601. You're right, if you think that your translation is much better understandable than my own English words
biggrin.gif

One thing I've completes in this comments was the effect of a powerfull amp versus the class a ouput from the CDP. The K601 needs a bit more power than the K701, so if an allways powerfull and dynamic sound has priority, a suitable amp is required.

At least I like to complete, that the K601 stick in my mind as a very good Headphone which name addition Reference sometimes srew me a friendly smile.

Nov 22, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #72 of 380
has anyone tried the701 ith a really nice tube amp? I just broke down and preordered a pair in order to get the intro pricing (i am pretty poor so that extra money off makes a difference. don't ask who i bought them from publically please. I use a sexamp,which is a little more special than most sexamps. I spent alot of time tuning it sonically after it was built and during the building process I "creatively" interpreted some of the circuit topology. seeming as the 701s seem to enjoy current, this seems great. the sex amp will throw out a whopping 2 watts clean to headphones. the sound from the amp is very very holographic as is, driving the sennheisers to levels of holographicness that i have never heard from any other amp, even that 15000 dollar monster from single power (though obviously, the 15000 dollar thingy does do a few things better). (sometimes simplicity has its virtues). being a spud amp and all...channel matching has always been acceptable with 650s but it looks like i will be buying rca tubes in large quantity now to match them by ear to more near perfection to get the 701s projecting. looks like too that i will either get some really hardcore caps for every spot in the sex amp now or at least upgrade from the xicon dohickies in the choke and PS. it aint in the signal path, but there is more resolution in that amp i know...

being a speaker amp as well, I tried to get it to be fairly low qts inherently to drive my Back loaded horns. I don't use a sub and get a very expansive and non locatable 25-30 hz out of 4.5 inch cones. it is not easy to do though, took months to get sounding right in my room but damn is it worth it... I get more bass proportionally out of speakers than i do out of the sennheisers, by virtue of the tonal balance of the horns, and the bass is on the punchier side definitely. hope that won't cause problems with the 701s. I love headphone bass but i feel that alot of HP amps out there sacrifice forwardness and overall detail in order to unnaturally boost the bass of headphones. the sex amp is so forward that it turns sennheisers into grados and grados into direct injection musical syringes. kinda reminds me of the orpheus amp,minus a litledetail naturally (course, i have always felt that the sex amp was far outpacing the 650s for detail resolution IMO). not many amps i hear do this and it is addicting to me. not for everyone, but keep in mind that it can also sound very distant. i like the holographic contrast morethan some weird compressed soundstage i guess. seeing as the 701s are on the bassier side a tad then this might be a good match (??)

also i honestly do not like too much high frequency information as my ears are very sensitive to the digital "rash" present on most recordings, no matter what the cdplayer. (i prefer analogue, but have no turntable setup currently). hearing that these cans are more forward in this respect kinda worries me... i have never had to concentrate on high frequencies in my system as the sennheisers are very forgiving. sounds like i am going to have to bust out the soldering iron and parts catalogue soon. damn. luckily parts rolling is relatively cheap. anyone have much experience with jensen caps? are they ridiculous?

anyways, enough about me... how about you... do tube amps and 701s make babies?

thanks and sorry to blab on.

Clark

Nov 22, 2005 at 11:20 PM Post #73 of 380
Quote:

Still have to see them K701's reviewed by someone with tastes similar to mine (that is, who favors singer/songwriter acoustic music of the better kind).
smily_headphones1.gif

Me too! Here's a brief set of descriptions based on my experience with the following cans:

HD650: Perfect midrange and competency. Love the softer delivery. Could use less quantity of mid-upper bass. Desire less warmth.

K501: Love the midrange. Would like a little more bass. Biggest draw is the 'harder-hitting' nature at louder volumes. Not that it is harsh (not at all), but harder when compared to an HD650 or DT880.

DT880: At low-mid volumes, the best of all worlds for me. Would like midrange to be more intimate, in the spirit of HD650\K501. A 'tad' less treble at louder volumes would also be nice.

SA5K: Love the bass - best of the bunch IMO. Like the detail. Don't think the midrange is real. It is not intimate, or weighty enough for me.

HD595: Like the frequency balance. Feels congested. Bested by HD650 by a large margin, IMO.

Of the phones listed, the one's I kept are the DT880 and HD650. I use the DT880 for well-recorded jazz that has nice bass, and the HD650 for lighter\bass jazz and poorer recordings where the bass needs a lift.

Could open my wallet to the K701 if:

- midrange is like K501\HD650
- bass is like DT880\SA5K
- softer-hitting like DT880\HD650 (or, not quite as hard as K501)
- has lots of space between the notes (pretty much like all the phones listed above with exception of HD595)

From what I've been reading, this appears to be the case. Can any more detail be provided? Thanks much!

Nov 23, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #75 of 380
So I think I know the answer, but just to pin it down for good...

Would you say it's probably not worth paying out the extra dough for the 701's if you already have the 595's and do not want to buy an amp?

Is my wallet safe after all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back