AKG K701 OWNERS!!!!!!!
Nov 13, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #47 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
What about soundstage?

The stage is quite expansive and continuous a la the Omega's and the HE60. I also noticed that there is depth to the soundstage ie some front to back soundstaging. It is not like the L3000 where each instrument is pinpointed and localised in its own space.

Just early impressions and comparisions with no serious listening.

Nov 13, 2005 at 2:44 AM Post #48 of 104
Mm, that last part is what I'm looking for... I want to hear individual instruments (or wierd noises, whatever) with nothing but black space between them.

Oh well, burn them in some more and report back.

I'm going to buy them and a RS Hornet if it's the last thing I do. Hopefully I'll be able to hear that exact combination at the Tampa meet.

Cleanup isle me.

Nov 13, 2005 at 11:39 PM Post #49 of 104
See what got added (at bottom) to The Extreme High-End Headroom page?
wink.gif

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-ap...reme-high-end/

Nov 13, 2005 at 11:40 PM Post #50 of 104
It looks like I'll have to leave Team K701, I just cancelled my order.

Nov 13, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #51 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
It looks like I'll have to leave Team K701, I just cancelled my order.

From what store did you order your phones? I'm gonna grab 'em!

Nov 13, 2005 at 11:48 PM Post #53 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Runningwater
I tried Sa5000 several months ago, not my cup of tea!
I changed it with K1000!

To bad you didn't have a chance to hear it through a good tube amp, or maybe you did!, but my PPX3 Slam has changed my entire outlook on brightish cans.
wink.gif

Nov 14, 2005 at 8:41 AM Post #54 of 104
Maybe my Eartube is a litter bright. To me I prefer the sound of HD650.
And one of my friends didn't like SA5000 either. His Sa5000 was driven by Maestro.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
To bad you didn't have a chance to hear it through a good tube amp, or maybe you did!, but my PPX3 Slam has changed my entire outlook on brightish cans.
wink.gif

Nov 14, 2005 at 8:51 AM Post #55 of 104
you guys make me sick... *pukes*

blink.gif
blink.gif

sorry; my wallet took over the keyboard for a second. anyway, yeah, i preordered mine from headroom a while back. it seems that a large chunk of money has disappeared from my bank account (it's in the stage where it disappeared off the statement), so hopefully it should arrive before thanksgiving, so i can officially thank AKG and Headroom over a nice turkey dinner
smily_headphones1.gif

I can't wait for them to arrive. I bet they sound freakishly awesome
smily_headphones1.gif
, open
smily_headphones1.gif
, airy
smily_headphones1.gif
, and natural
smily_headphones1.gif

anyway, i got a question for those who've listened to both the k701's and the k501's. in the k501's, i notice that the soundstage is extremely wide with some sound coming from the forehead and much of the sound coming from behind the head. I don't know if it's just me that's hearing that, but does anyone see that as well? are the k701's the same? cuz sound coming from behind is quite disconcerting.

and a general question to the public: anyone figure out how to pop the back outa the k701's yet? i have a pasty white cable dying to be hooked up to the upcoming k701's
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2005 at 9:34 AM Post #56 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
I got mine today! (Damn Jamey got to listen to them first.) First, it should be said they are very good; right up there with the 650, 600, and beyer 880. Very good. While he 650 lean to the side of too warm and the 800 lies to the bright side the 701 pretty much splits the difference, and I would consider it pretty darn neutral.

There does seem to be a bit of what I term "hardness" in them. I'll admit that I am quite intollerant of any form of harshness, but it does seem to me that the 701 is slightly lacking in "refinement" and sound a tad ragged as a result. Don't read this as a steep critisism, though, the best headphone reference in my book is the UE10 and there is no full-sized can comes any closer than the 701 in my book. The 650 IS a tad to soft and withdrawen, the 880 IS too bright, all these cans have some slight flaw or other. The 701 is DAMN good, and wil be a staple with headphone fans for a long time to come. Great job, AKG! Heartily recommended.

This will be a short post as I'd rather listen than type. See ya!
eggosmile.gif

Hi Tyll! Very good news.

I have a question: the most fascinating thing I've found in the K501 was the natural and airy headstage, with that sensation that sounds do not come from the driver, but from the "air", without resonances.
How are the K701 in this regard?

Cheers
Andrea

Nov 14, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #57 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
... and why?

I went for a Squeezebox 3 instead

Nov 14, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #58 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
I went for a Squeezebox 3 instead

Well, that's not too shabby either (yeah been eyeing it too).
wink.gif

Anyway, I just took the K701 stab. Hope they ship soon. No way the HD650, HF1 and K701 will all stay so a battle is coming.

Nov 15, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #59 of 104
Can anyone who's received them verify how much easier the K701s are to drive then the 501s? Can they be driven by portables? I always thought the 501s were as difficult to drive as the Senn 6X0s.

impedance // efficiency

501: 120 ohms // 94 dB SPL/mW
601: 120 ohms // 102 dB/V
701: 62 ohms // 105 dB/V

Nov 15, 2005 at 3:51 PM Post #60 of 104
Why's there this hype and excitement buzzing around whenever a new can surfaces? Is this headfi tradition or what? I guess I've caught on the BUY BUY BUY disease....Ordered mine last week.
icon10.gif
Can this even stop? Or am I supposed to terminate my internet access from this evil land and its evil inhabitants.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back