AKG K701 - AMP
Feb 15, 2011 at 7:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

d1554573r

New Head-Fier
Greetings Head-fiers,

I understand that im picking an old subject that keeps coming back on these forums quite frequently.

I got a problem with my AKG's, I know that decent headphones need equally decent amp but when it comes to these they need a powerplant...

Im using Project Headbox 2 to amp them temporairly, and they got flat bass and operate at 70-80% of volume I would like them to operate.

I tried many amps and a few headphone amps and so far only Leben CS300 and Luxman made them sound like our Austrian designers intendent. The problem is quite obvious - aka my budget since I can spend 800$ tops for a headphone amp.

I dont have an option to try headphone amps suggested by most of akg users here on head fi, none of local shops have them in stock.

Im eager to buy Heed Canamp, but since i havnt got a chance to lisen it I got few questions about the Heed/AKG combo.

How does it perform with trip-hop, experimental, electronic, dubstep, dnb music? (I'll name few favorites of mine: Burial, Massive Attack, Lamb, Portishead, Pendulum)
How does it handle volume? I like to lisen to loud music, most people I know cant stand the volume I use.

If there are diffrent amps more suitable for my needs please suggest them.

Feb 15, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #2 of 16
The M-Stage is usually highly recommended as a budget amp that works very well with the 701's. One can be had for around $250.

If you have the budget, the Burson HA-160 gets great marks as well. 

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #4 of 16

Quote:
For your chosen genres, would you not perhaps be better to spend that money on a bassier set of cans like Pro 900's?

X2
If you want to keep the 701, Kicas Caliente is supposed to be good for giving them more low end, and not too shabby with the rest of the frequencies....FWIR, that is.

Feb 15, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #5 of 16
Thanks for feedback,
Well im preety much fine with the bass on 701's, volume is problematic thou.
I like the stage in 701's it makes other cans sound lame in this aspect. 

I lisened to 701's on decent luxman when Itried them vs 900, they weren't burned in and still they managed to convinnce me to buy them instead of Sennheisers 600 and 650 and Bd 900.

Thats why I assumed the reason im not satisfied is the amp.

Feb 16, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #7 of 16
You might also check out the all American designed and made Schiit Audio amps. The tubed Vahalla sells for $350 and sounds quite good, and the new $450.00 LYR which ships March 1, has Head-Fi lit up. Check the threads on this site for more info. Schiit sells online only with a 15 day money back no questions asked policy and a 5 year warranty. 

Feb 17, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #8 of 16
A DAC. bro i have a mixer for Djing gigs and it has a Ipod Digital In and Obviously it has to have a DAC and wooo Does it make these headphones sound wayy dope!

Feb 17, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #9 of 16
I was thinking about schiit, tbh at the moment im thinking between tube and dac/amp, theres nuforce icon hdp at local retailer so ill test it against my cans, also Canor SH1 tube amp looks intresting. In my case dac isn't a necessity since I got decent audio sources.

Kicas and m-stage are hard to find in my county. >.> And im really not into importing stuff from china, got bad memories doin it.

Im 60% convinced to go for Icon HDP.

Lets sum up the options:

1. Nuforce ICON HDP
  2. Trends Audio PA10
  3. Canor SH1
  4. Heed Canamp
  5. Shiit Valhalla

Looks like Valhalla was designed to drive AKGs up to their potential... http://schiit.com/schiit-faq/valhalla-questions/

Feb 17, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #11 of 16
No, not the Valhalla. Go for the Lyr. It's only $100 more ($449 in US) but has gobs more power. It is a tube-hybrid, whereas the Valhalla is OTL. The HDP also probably has lots of power, but 6 Moons review said that it sounded a little harsh on the K701 in the upper mids or low treble, if I remember correctly.

Good luck, Austria.  
k701smile.gif

Feb 17, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #12 of 16
Hmm, I found local retailer of the NuForce since the reception of 701-nuforce is mixed theres no better way then try it myself :)
Intresting, on schiit webpage they recommend 701 with valhalla but i cant find anyone suggesting this combo so far here on headfi, Lyr... hybrid constrution with enough power to make akgs  breathe the magic smoke :) its on my list 2 but im sick and tired of lisening to my current amp and 1,5 a mounth waiting for lyr seems like eternity.

Feb 23, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #13 of 16
I'm listening to my AKG Q701's with the Vahalla as I write this. Sounds superb together. The tubes really put a nice burnish to the sound, yet retain all the detail I like to hear on my phones. For the money, this combo is a tremendous bargain.

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #14 of 16
I like my darkvoice 332 and this x-head amp I got for a little over $100 used on audiogon with my K701. I don't even notice a ton of difference between them really. Even this portable ibasso amp I got some years ago works ok with the K701 and a Sony D-321 using the low impedence setting. 

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
I'm listening to my AKG Q701's with the Vahalla as I write this. Sounds superb together. The tubes really put a nice burnish to the sound, yet retain all the detail I like to hear on my phones. For the money, this combo is a tremendous bargain.

It's good to hear this, Valhalla design made me love it on the 1st time i saw it. Actually I crossed nuforce off the list only competitior 2 valhalla is Yulong D-100 now I already contacted Shenzen about availablity :p Still not sure thou what to choose - both are impossible to test in person here in Poland :)

Btw those russian tubes used in Valhalla are extremly cheap in my country i can get the entire set for 8$ :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back