AKG K701/702 with ZO Subwoofer?
Jun 17, 2011 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

h1a8

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone heard this combo with either a portable player like the ipod touch 4g or a laptop computer?

I'm curious to whether:

1. It has sufficient power to drive them to a decent listenable volume.
2. It can increase the bass of the 701/702 significantly while keeping the rest of the spectrum clear and intact.

I wanted the 701s so bad, but what turned me off was their deficient bass and their hardness to drive properly.
If the zo solves these problems then the 701/702 would be a winner.

Jun 17, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #3 of 7
i would say no. i doubt that you will be able to drive K70Xs with that. that and (in my limited experience) pretty much everything i have seen that boosts bass has the side effect of making the bass very boomy and lacking in texture.

my advice would be to buy a second hand K701/2 from the sales threads and see what you think, if the lack of bass is an issue for you you can sell it for as much as you bought it for. its not like they are rare.

Jun 18, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #4 of 7
1.  You can't drive the AKG K70x headphones with an internal laptop/iDevice amplifier.  You need to have a quality amplifier, and really only the upper tier portable amps will do the job properly.

2.  I have no experience with the zo subwoofer, but it seems like a low end portable amplifier with a bunch of different bass-boost EQ profiles.  I suspect you'd be far better served for SQ by spending $134 more total on an iBasso P4 for $250 and a download of the EQu app for $3.99.  The iBasso will be a much better amplifier, and the EQu app will provide a larger and more user friendly range of equalization for bass-boost.

3.  Maybe the AKGs just aren't what you need?

Jun 18, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #5 of 7
I just bought K702 a week ago and I also have an iPhone4 and an iMac. From what I can see, I can definitely drive K702 from both iPhone4 and iMac. The volume, however, should be turned on to approximately 90% level on both devices for most records and for some old ones up to 100%. The sound is rather nice to my ear, with an even balance between highs, middles, and lows. I was breaking them in non-stop for the last 7 days so they sound much more natural now than out of the box.  But personally, I would not use my K702 with iPhone or iMac without an amplifier as I think their cards are not strong enough to drive the phones up to their maximum potential. But I do think they can deliver 60-70% of that potential especially after 300-400 hours of break-in. So it all depend on what your expectations are in my opinion. Now, I am not an audiophile by any means (yet 
wink_face.gif
) and just joined this forum yesterday to learn more about headphones and gear; so I may not be familiar with the exact meaning of some lingo (like what exactly "drive" means to others). So my apologies if I am barking the wrong tree with my comment.

Jun 18, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #6 of 7
No sweat AndyV.

Technically you're correct in that the internal amps in the iPhone and in most laptops will "drive" the K/Q70x phones, but only technically.  I use my 702s straight from my laptop all the time for Netflix streaming or the occasional DVD, but never when listening to music or for applications where I actually care about the SQ because they just sound terrible to my ears without a decent source and some good amplification.

It's kind of like driving a Porsche 911 Turbo a couple miles down the rutted dirt roads in Vermont during mud season (aka Spring) to pick up eggs and milk at your neighbor's farm: fun car and it's capable of making the trek, but I can assure you that it wouldn't be a fun trip!

k701smile.gif

Jun 18, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Anyone heard this combo with either a portable player like the ipod touch 4g or a laptop computer?

I'm curious to whether:

1. It has sufficient power to drive them to a decent listenable volume.
2. It can increase the bass of the 701/702 significantly while keeping the rest of the spectrum clear and intact.

I wanted the 701s so bad, but what turned me off was their deficient bass and their hardness to drive properly.
If the zo solves these problems then the 701/702 would be a winner.

You should ask this on ZO threads, where people actually have experience with the ZO, instead of here, where people will just dismiss it due to having "personal subwoofer" on the name
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/504037/mini-review-digizoid-zo-portable-subwoofer
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/558850/digizoid-zo-personal-subwoofer-review-the-missing-link-to-audio-nirvana

Users who are viewing this thread

Back