AKG K601 vs Sennheiser HD-598 (listening impressions and comparison)
May 13, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #16 of 22

Quote:
I almost never listen to the AD700 anymore that I have. It's a fine headphone for the price and definitely has quite a lot of detail for being so cheap! From what I remember, the AD700 definitely has more treble than the K601. The mids are also more forward on the K601 for sure and will be better for male/female vocals. There is a mild recession of the mids on the AD700, but it's not too bad at all. The AD700 makes the K601 look like a bass monster! Ok, that's overkill, but there is definitely a lot more bass. I still would never ever suggest the K601 for any genre that required quite a lot of bass. To me, the AD700 didn't have enough bass for me, but the K601 does. I think any less and I couldn't tolerate it.

K601 is definitely far better to me. The K702 more closely resembles the AD700's signature though I think. For those that want something a little more relaxed than the K702, the K601 would be a good option.
AD700 might actually have more detail than the HD-598 and K601. It seems to me price doesn't always equal more detail. I'd have to compare them though. I just remember the AD700 being super detailed for such a low price.

The K601 is definitely far more balanced to me than the AD700.

that is good to hear. while I don't mind the Treble of the AD700, I wouldn't mind if its tamed a little bit.  I have noticed that slightly recessed mid on certain singers and songs and sometimes its irritating...hmmmm really sounds like something I could really enjoy for awhile.. thanks for comparing the two. 

May 13, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #17 of 22
Thanks tdockweiler, you're a very strange guy, I like your way of explaining things, Cheers. It's nice (for me) that you've included Pearl Jam in your listening sessions. I hope that k601 will be suitable for more alternative/grunge. Thanks again, you've been helpful, I enjoyed reading your comparison.

May 14, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #18 of 22
Yeah, it can be depending on the material, but more-so I find that the treble can sound detached from the mid range with some metal recordings, making the sound a little empty.

Quote:
I do think Metal on the K601 might drive my ears crazy, but I don't listen to any of that. I can't imagine anyone getting a K601 for that genre anyway! K601 isn't really too treble heavy though at all.

May 14, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #19 of 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler 

HD-598 really excels with pop music and even rock such as Pearl Jam. It's the perfect headphone for Jpop/Cantopop and especially female vocals. If you like Asian pop music, you NEED the HD-598! I think it's just "good" with acoustic, classical, ambient and bass-light electronic music. I guess for its price, there isn't many other good options for classical under $250 that doesn't need a very powerful amp.

After reading this, i think this might be the best headphone for me, i listen a lot to J-Pop (most female vocals) and u said i'ts perfect for it, maybe HD-598 is my next upgrade? I'm just wondering how much better HD-598 is in comparison to my Shure SRH-440. I never heard an open headphone with good soundstage before, and i'm just curious to try it someday.

My only concern is about the bass, does it have more bass than SRH-440? If the bass is at least on the same level, i'm sold.

May 15, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #20 of 22

HD-598 and even the K601 definitely have more bass than the SRH-440, probably not more than say the SRH-840 though.

My favorite headphones ever for Jpop (mostly female vocals) are the HD-598, K601 and Koss Pro DJ 100.

I think I prefer the DJ100, but it's not the "best'. It has the most forward sounding mids without being annoying. It also has more bass than the HD-598.
One of my absolute favorite cheap headphones for vocals. Some say it doesn't have enough treble and I don't get this. Has more than enough for me.

HD-598 is less fatiguing than the DJ100 and is more forgiving of source file quality IMO.

Also, I think think the 440 will have more treble than the HD-598 or K601. I had a 440 long ago and the first thing I noticed about them is that they had a lot of treble! It could be that I just didn't burn them in.

The 598 will definitely be a good upgrade, but they sound totally different to me.
Quote:

After reading this, i think this might be the best headphone for me, i listen a lot to J-Pop (most female vocals) and u said i'ts perfect for it, maybe HD-598 is my next upgrade? I'm just wondering how much better HD-598 is in comparison to my Shure SRH-440. I never heard an open headphone with good soundstage before, and i'm just curious to try it someday.

My only concern is about the bass, does it have more bass than SRH-440? If the bass is at least on the same level, i'm sold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back