AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Oct 10, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #721 of 2,435
Quote:
Why not get a "real" AKG instead of those Harman headphones you call AKG :p

Try sniping a K240 Sextett or K501/K500 on ebay or in this Forum. You'll be surprised how good (better in terms of ringing and FR compared to newer headphones) they sound.

It's too bad the Sextett actually sounds worse than the K240 Studio. The K501 is OK, but the Q701 is far better and doesn't have the massive soundstage of the K501.
I got rid of the K501 (and kept the K601) when I bought the Q701.

Have you seen the frequency graph of the K501? It's hilarious! Luckily it sounds better than the graph makes it appear (it's on Goldenears) or the Internet archive of Headroom.

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #722 of 2,435
Quote:
Have you seen the frequency graph of the K501? It's hilarious! Luckily it sounds better than the graph makes it appear (it's on Goldenears) or the Internet archive of Headroom.

Golden Ears' graph for K 501:
3ec4fa49b2ff721b5c18f860c9b07453.png

Golden Ears' graph for K 701 (no graph for Q 701 available):
18b90993d8312cbfb6f717ae7cef55b9.png

Oct 10, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #723 of 2,435
That's not so bad.
Haha, I must have seen this one awhile back and confused it with the frequency graph:

This one is for the K601:

If you want to see something really ugly, look at the graph for the MV1 there. That can't be right!

Oct 10, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #726 of 2,435
Quote:
Just picked one of these up. Especially excited after seeing this:

I thought the Q701 was just a tad bright, so this looks like it'll do the trick.

That's the way it sounds for me right now with my ODAC. With my HRT MSII it was kind of shouty and almost had these weird peaks somewhere at times. Turns out it was mostly the DAC and not so much the headphone.
Now it's pretty dang smooth. I won't say anything bad about the K601 and will let you enjoy your new K601
normal_smile .gif
The K601 is one headphone i'll never part with.

I should test the low bass extension of my K601 vs Q701. The K601 actually now sounds like it has bass (overall) than the Q701, but the K601 is still slightly fuller sounding. Weird.

I remember hating the K601, but i'm glad I gave it a second change after getting rid of the Asgard. Asgard + K601 is a complete fail.

BTW it's amusing to think that the HD-600 has more upper treble than the K601 and Q701!

Oct 11, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #727 of 2,435
Quote:

Sure you've seen the Sextett CSD? But the K 240 DF, when modded, does a very good job in not ringing at all. Though maybe you meant ringing by ear and not by graphs.

My beef with the K 601 (compared to the K 501) was that with the increased bass extension vs the 501, the 601 sounded both warm/intimate and airy/wide = ambiguous sound. Not worth paying as much as the K 501 for 

Oh god, yeah, I remember purrin's CSD... feels bad man :D
I blame the 6 passive radiators, ... you're right my remarks look silly to me right now.

But somehow, I feel like rhytmdevils said. They just sound right...

Oct 16, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #728 of 2,435
Anyone with a K601 want to do an experiment for me? Anyone actually still own a K601? I hope so!

Remove the inner grill and listen to music with it off. Tell me what you think. You can remove it with a piece of tape. Press down and rotate LEFT. I used a Priority Mail tag.
No tools needed! Don't stick metal objects in there! I scraped my plastic grill by doing this. I slipped.

I swear it's like the total opposite of what happens when you remove the grills from the Q701. It almost feels as if the soundstage is much, much larger yet the sound is much fuller and bassier.
You'd think that if you got more bass or the sound was fuller sounding, you've have a smaller soundstage.

The only problem is that you now need to crank the volume much higher. I have no idea why. This may be the first headphone where I can max my amp's volume on high gain without hearing damage.

Right now it almost sounds like my modded HD-600, but with a much more massive soundstage.

Nov 3, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #731 of 2,435
Quote:
Remove the inner grill and listen to music with it off. Tell me what you think. You can remove it with a piece of tape. Press down and rotate LEFT. I used a Priority Mail tag.
No tools needed! Don't stick metal objects in there! I scraped my plastic grill by doing this. I slipped.

Is there some sort of picture of what the mod looks like? I'd like to try it but not quite sure how to perform it.

Nov 3, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #732 of 2,435
Quote:
Is there some sort of picture of what the mod looks like? I'd like to try it but not quite sure how to perform it.

Not really..just place a piece of tape or something over the silver inner grill and turn left. It pops right now so that it's exposed.
It's not really a mod, but just a test to see if people were hearing what I was. it sounds slightly better with the grill off.

The mids on the K601 seem much less forward than those of the Q701, but I'm sure people knew that. K601 is probably more balanced.
I was comparing them both tonight for fun..

BTW sounds weird, but I use a priority mail tag to remove the grills. No nasty adhesive and takes 2 seconds!

I scratched my grill previously using tiny scissors. Big mistake! I think they're plastic too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back