AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Apr 28, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #496 of 2,435

Quote:
I am the owner of K601 and I have a question: how much warming affects headphones?, there is now a quiet volume, and a very weakbass. My K530 still play a brighter and louder. Do not pull theirsource? .. Infrasonic Quartet, built-in amplifier

Sounds like it could be under-amped. I googled that soundcard for a second and I don't know much about it. Looks like it has a decent build in headphone amplifier. Those are definite symptoms of it being under-ampled. They're not bass heavy headphones, but they do have more bass than the K702 I've found. More mid-bass too it felt like.

Do you have another amp or receiver you could try? You can get the E9 for just $115 and it would sound perfect out of them. Even more so than my Asgard (which didn't drive them well at all).

I'm loving these headphones right now. I watched "Human Planet" last night with them and they seem even more natural sounding than the K702. I even tried installed the K702 pads to them but didn't like them. It made the soundstage bigger, but it made everything more distant. I even tried the K601 pads on the K702, but it made them too bright?! Very strange.

Somehow these didn't even need burn-in to sound good.

$180 for these is a steal! Just needs a very powerful amp.

Apr 28, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #497 of 2,435
Oh man...The Woo 6 really took these to another level, especially for acoustic jazz. Lovin' em!
k701smile.gif

Apr 29, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #498 of 2,435
I'm a proud owner of these headphones since a year ago and I can't but praise them. I don't understand people who complain about the bass. Definitely these headphones have good bass extension when properly amplified. I use a portable amplifier, mini^3 , nothing exceptional but they can drive the akg 601 quite decently I think. 

Apr 29, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #500 of 2,435
Just wanted to share a picture of the K601's. . .I really think they have a nice, subtle look to them.  They are not anything I would wear out in public, but they do look nice sitting on my desk!

Never know. . .someone stopping by this thread, thinking of making a purchase of these. . .this picture might just persuade them to take the plunge 
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 29, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #501 of 2,435

They sound great out of that E9 too. Even more so than the K702 with the E9. Who would have thought that?
The K601 is also getting cheaper to find. I got my pair from Amazon from "#1 Source" for $188. I was a bit scared at first, but they were new and they were sent on a Friday and received on a Monday with Priority mail shipping.

They're also a little more comfortable than the K702, but not by much. K601 kind of reminds me of a very slightly more aggressive HD-598, but not by much. They seem to fix some of the things people complain about with the K702. I love my HD-598 and K601 so I don't think I want to bother comparing them. I still need to test them out more for gaming.

My first pairt had bad synergy with my Asgard and actually had this annoying ear piercing treble. What the heck?! This pair is not even remotely like that with my E9.

I still think they're one of the most under-appreciated headphones for gaming.
Quote:
Just wanted to share a picture of the K601's. . .I really think they have a nice, subtle look to them.  They are not anything I would wear out in public, but they do look nice sitting on my desk!

Never know. . .someone stopping by this thread, thinking of making a purchase of these. . .this picture might just persuade them to take the plunge 
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 30, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #502 of 2,435
Thanks for the tip. I need to set up my Amazon account one of these days. I'll have to do some research on these as these got recommended to me yesterday but I did see that Amazon listing and was hesitant about ordering from them. Hopefully they have good synergy with what I have then.

May 1, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #503 of 2,435
hey..do you mind giving a comparison of the bass of k601 and hd598?? also, which ones do you think are brighter and which ones are more neutral??

Quote:
They sound great out of that E9 too. Even more so than the K702 with the E9. Who would have thought that?
The K601 is also getting cheaper to find. I got my pair from Amazon from "#1 Source" for $188. I was a bit scared at first, but they were new and they were sent on a Friday and received on a Monday with Priority mail shipping.

They're also a little more comfortable than the K702, but not by much. K601 kind of reminds me of a very slightly more aggressive HD-598, but not by much. They seem to fix some of the things people complain about with the K702. I love my HD-598 and K601 so I don't think I want to bother comparing them. I still need to test them out more for gaming.

My first pairt had bad synergy with my Asgard and actually had this annoying ear piercing treble. What the heck?! This pair is not even remotely like that with my E9.

I still think they're one of the most under-appreciated headphones for gaming.

May 1, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #504 of 2,435
On paper, both are very very similar I think. I would say the K601 slightly has more sub-bass, but I'd say the K601 might have a tad more bass overall when driven with a good desktop amp. None of them are remotely bass heavy. The mids of the HD-598 on a frequency graph makes it looks like it has more forward mids, but I think the K601 does when I listen to it. I think though that the K601 just has the more forward upper mids.

Based on what my ears say, I'm going to have to say the K601 is slightly brighter. I think overall the HD-598 is less likely to fatigue anyone with it's treble. It's fairly bright compared to the HD-600 and it's stock cable (to me). Both of them are nowhere near being treble happy headphones. Not even close. The K601 is very very slightly more aggressive compared to the HD-598, but it's still a fairly laid back headphone, but not like the HD-600.

People who like the HD-598 SHOULD like the K601. It's just much harder to drive.

I'm not sure which one is more neutral since they are so similar in their sound signatures. The sound signature of the HD-598 when you listen to it is a lot more smoother. Everything sounds just right to me with that headphone. K601 is pretty close to that experience. For me, I don't think I could say which one is better overall. I love both of them.

Call me crazy, but the K601 reminds of a mix between the HD-600 and K-702
confused_face%281%29.gif

Reduce the soundstage, detail and clarity of the K702 SLIGHTLY and bring the mids forward a tad and tame the treble a bit and you have a K601..It seems to fix a lot of the "problems" people have with the K702.

Quote:
hey..do you mind giving a comparison of the bass of k601 and hd598?? also, which ones do you think are brighter and which ones are more neutral??

May 1, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #506 of 2,435

Both are probably equally good for those genres. For Classical the K601 might have a slight advantage, but then again the very large soundstage of the HD-598 is nice. The E9 will drive the K601 with ease.
Quote:
hmmph.. so for ochestral music and mainstream pop music, which one would you reccomend?? oh, and i see you have the e9.. does it drive the 601 to a good level?? or do i need to buy another amp?

May 2, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #507 of 2,435
So I ended up getting a used K601 off another member here and should get it on Wednesday. I'm pretty excited to get to hear them esp since I'm slowly moving into another direction since I was mostly an iem person but I think I no longer have the desire to buy them since I have two good customs so I can start with getting some headphones.

May 5, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #508 of 2,435
Does anyone know where to get some spare pads for these?

I think mine may be a tad old but where to get replacement pads? I don't know if the K701 pads would work but I assume it will but it's pretty expensive at headroom.

May 5, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #509 of 2,435

The K702 pads fit (not sure about the K701 pads, but I'm guessing they're the same.
As you may know, the K702 pads are angled. K601 pads are not. I tried the K702 pads on the K601 but it made the mids sound more distant.
Sorry, I'm not sure where to get the K601 pads. Most likely AKG sells them directly. There was a number they had posted elsewhere you can call to get them.

EDIT:
It's Frank Rodriquez, at 818-920-3279

That's the parts number for Harman. Not sure if the number is working or if it has changed.

Quote:
Does anyone know where to get some spare pads for these?

I think mine may be a tad old but where to get replacement pads? I don't know if the K701 pads would work but I assume it will but it's pretty expensive at headroom.

May 6, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #510 of 2,435

Quote:

evil_smiley.gif

Nice picture.  Just pulled the trigger on these this morning ($169 shipped from Buy.com), and I have an E9, so this will look awfully familiar:).  I regret selling my recabled K701s, and I'm curious to see how these sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back