AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Aug 24, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #376 of 2,435
Ordered a pair from TTJV yesterday, I can't wait to try them. I was originally planning on waiting awhile and getting the k701, but for 100 bucks less I couldn't pass it up. 

Also, looking for an amp for these cans. I have a pretty cheap DAC right now (m-audio fast track pro), but it works. I'm leaning towards an LD amp as well, maybe MK III, though the nuforce uDac and the Total Bithead have recently caught my eye. Anyone have experience with these with the k601's? Would it be smarter to get one of the combined dac/amp's and then use it as a DAC later once I get an amp later on?

Aug 24, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #377 of 2,435
I've had two of them on several occasions and really liked mine. I've been thinking of picking one up again.

Aug 24, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #378 of 2,435
Quote:

Ordered a pair from TTJV yesterday, I can't wait to try them. 

Those were mine!!! 
mad.gif

A fellow member here told me to give him a call to verify that they were still available. I saw them listed on his site and neglected to pull trigger with the online order system. When I did not hear back after leaving a message I followed up today. You got the last pair (big thumbs up)... Or last new pair. I have demo's he was able to find on the way to me :~)

Aug 24, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #379 of 2,435

Quote:

Those were mine!!! 
mad.gif

A fellow member here told me to give him a call to verify that they were still available. I saw them listed on his site and neglected to pull trigger with the online order system. When I did not hear back after leaving a message I followed up today. You got the last pair (big thumbs up)... Or last new pair. I have demo's he was able to find on the way to me :~)

Ooh, now I feel bad...but only a little.  I guess it's a good thing I bought them on impulse, or I may not have bought them at all!

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #381 of 2,435

Quote:
Ordered a pair from TTJV yesterday, I can't wait to try them. I was originally planning on waiting awhile and getting the k701, but for 100 bucks less I couldn't pass it up. 

Also, looking for an amp for these cans. I have a pretty cheap DAC right now (m-audio fast track pro), but it works. I'm leaning towards an LD amp as well, maybe MK III, though the nuforce uDac and the Total Bithead have recently caught my eye. Anyone have experience with these with the k601's? Would it be smarter to get one of the combined dac/amp's and then use it as a DAC later once I get an amp later on?

I had a uDac for a while and it didn't power my K601 very well at all.  It sounded great and powered my grado SR225 nicely but the K601 needed more power.  I ended up selling the uDac to my flatmate who has a pair of senn HD202.
I also have a headstage lyrix pro usb which is great with my SR225 but I haven't really tried running the K601 straight out of it yet.  I'll try that tonight and let you know how it goes.
Actually I could hook them all up at once and do some comparisons.   

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #382 of 2,435
Quote:

looking for an amp for these cans. I have a pretty cheap DAC right now (m-audio fast track pro), but it works. I'm leaning towards an LD amp as well, maybe MK III.

I contacted David at LD and he steered me toward the I+ to power the 601's. Said the Mk III would work and is versatile but I+ is designed to supply the current necessary for low impedance phones. I was considering the Shiit SS but it supposedly is not ideal for 701's and I thus assumed 601's as well. Their upcoming tube amp will take a little time to save for if it is the perfect mate.

Can give an impression of PA2V2 / 601 pairing in a few days after phones arrive.

Aug 25, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #383 of 2,435
I've had my k601 for awhile now. I also owned a pair of k702 that I sold. I love my k601 in comparison. They are much more relaxed and smooth compared to the k702 which I found to be harsh at some highs. My first decent pair of headphones was the akg k240, and I was looking for something with a similar sig but with a higher quality. The k601 are it.

Paired with an Audio-GD Roc and Reference 5 dac, they siiiiiing. I really would like to recable and balance them, which I have the parts for, but not the time :)

Aug 25, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #384 of 2,435
I am a happy k601 owner #11047 they sound open, smooth, speaker-like, sound better at low volume but it must be because of my gear that isn't high enough.

And it such a pleasure to wear them.
k701smile.gif

Aug 25, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #385 of 2,435

Quote:
Anything powerful IMO. The K601 sings even with a stock Bravo V2 12AU7. 

Snap, I have the exact same combo - an incredible budget setup. People knock those stock tubes, but I find the ones it comes with are pretty good.

Right know as I type I am using the Ibasso PB1 portable amp with my laptop and K601's.

Although the K601's sound nice, the other reason I like them is they look so damn sexy, best looking phone around! I like to have them lying around my flat nonchalantly looking pretty :)

Aug 25, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #386 of 2,435
I had a listening session last night and compared my headstage lyrix to the emu0404 -> little dot II combo.
I was really surprised by the lyrix, it sounded just as good as the emu0404 -> little dot II setup.  When I turned on the lyrix bass boost it sounded better than the other setup!
The bass on the lyrix goes really low and with the bass boost on it really kicks too.  
I might start bringing it home more often instead of just using it at work. 

Aug 26, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #387 of 2,435
I have a question on the wiring for these babies. Does the gray wire coming down have 3 or 4 conductors? I was planning to fully recable, but as time wears out, I may just reterminated to a 4 pin XLR.

Aug 26, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #388 of 2,435
I'd hunt down topics on K701 cabling if I were you; according to the service manual they share the exact same cable, and it looks like wiring is the same too, so if you find anything on K701 re-cables you should be able to work it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a question on the wiring for these babies. Does the gray wire coming down have 3 or 4 conductors? I was planning to fully recable, but as time wears out, I may just reterminated to a 4 pin XLR.

Sep 7, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #389 of 2,435
Just recieved mine today and I'm loving the sound so far. I'm far from a basshead, but I'm amazed that people complain about lack of bass with these. I suppose it depends on the type of music you listen to. Anyway, great pair of headphones, will be trying them with the Nuforce uDac-2 when it arrives, hopefully in a few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back