AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Nov 14, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #316 of 2,435
Opening the grills is a major pain. I re-cabled two pairs of them to date but, as I have not the right tools, I end up damaging the grills on both pairs. The re-cable IIRC helped make the phones sound less anemic in the bass and simply more alive. It's worth re-cabling them though it's also a good idea to have correct 'grill opener' (any suggestions?) before attempting it.

Cheers!

Nov 15, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #318 of 2,435
Nov 15, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #319 of 2,435
Quote:

Your next step would probably be to save for a dedicated DAC / CD player (the Fortissimo is a soundcard right?)

Yes, some Envy24 thing. Probably nothing special but it has to be better than the onboard stuff. Since I rip everything onto the computer and would like to keep it that way for now, should I be looking at USB DACs, or one with a digital input and keep using the sound card, or something completely different? Guess I have to spend more time in the Computer Audio forum now.

Don't know if it'll help and you guys have probably seen them already: AKG's site has PDFs with exploded view drawings, parts lists, and disassembly instructions (Library - Download - Service documentation).

What's the deal with replacement ear pads? Are people still switching around 601/701 pads? Will they be available in the forseeable future or should I stock up now? Google only turned up a single offer (701 ones for €11 apiece?) here, anyone know what AKG want for a set?

Nov 15, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #320 of 2,435
Quote:

Originally Posted by KGM11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, some Envy24 thing. Probably nothing special but it has to be better than the onboard stuff. Since I rip everything onto the computer and would like to keep it that way for now, should I be looking at USB DACs, or one with a digital input and keep using the sound card, or something completely different? Guess I have to spend more time in the Computer Audio forum now.

What's the deal with replacement ear pads? Are people still switching around 601/701 pads? Will they be available in the forseeable future or should I stock up now? Google only turned up a single offer (701 ones for €11 apiece?) here, anyone know what AKG want for a set?

There is so much rubbish on which digital connection to use, but in general most people seem to be happy whatever they use. A lot of standalone DACs these days have USB so you may end up being able to try whatever you like, but if your soundcard can output digital you may as well use it. That way you may be able to get any processing specific to that soundcard, plus if it outputs 24-bit, 96/192 kHz and the DAC you get can handle that, you will be able to play high resolution audio files too. What USB does compared to this I don't know; I've not read a lot on USB and have no experience with it.

As for replacement pads, they still do them. Most people contact AKG direct to order, but €11 per pad sounds about right price wise. As for the differences, I have found a slight increase in bass (though with that a bit more sloppiness too) and a little rounding off of the treble with the K701 pads. You can also try removing the foam rings under the pads to alter the sound slightly.

Nov 15, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #322 of 2,435
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamthecheese /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info...Zorander what cable did you use?

I saw this recable guide...http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/gui...abling-225819/

He makes it sound like its easy to open them up...I tried quickly and failed...

I used whatever wires available around me at the time, which invariably is SPC (sleeved with multi-filament nylon).

I guess the scissors trick would work if you have one with small- and strong-enough ends. Anything bigger would only result in slipping and hence surface scratching. I don't have anything small enough that won't break and yet grips well for this purpose. For that reason I'm not going to even attempt another K601/701 until I find the appropriate tool.

Cheers!

Nov 16, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #323 of 2,435
I recently tried the bass mod for my K601 where you remove the white stickers on the drivers but the result was awful and bloated bass so I reversed the mod. IMO the K601 has plenty of bass even when put against my HD600. I think the K601 provides a very balanced sound and I am growing to like it more and more.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Nov 16, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #324 of 2,435
Hey tdogzthmn I saw that like me you've been looking for an amp for your K601s, have you found something?
As for me, finding one that would fit my budget (<$250) seems really tough.
The K601 not being that popular I've been looking at what people recommend for the K701 but I don't think that's a good method because for one they don't sound exactly the same and the K601 is twice the impedance...

Nov 16, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #325 of 2,435
Best amp for the K601 is the Lehmann Black Cube Linear. Unfortunately, its also one of the most expensive. The upside is that you wont be looking for another SS amp in 6 months time. Its one of the single toughest decisions of my life - M902 or Black Cube or upgrade my AV receiver - nothing will be cheap.

Nov 16, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #326 of 2,435
Had problem with akg k601 in terms of bass quantity ! They are not proper amped in my case (ecler dj mixer). Switched cushions from k702 and bass is more present but not bloated ! Messed the soundstage a bit but got more depth in sound . This sacrifice is worthy in my case

Nov 16, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #327 of 2,435
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best amp for the K601 is the Lehmann Black Cube Linear. Unfortunately, its also one of the most expensive. The upside is that you wont be looking for another SS amp in 6 months time. Its one of the single toughest decisions of my life - M902 or Black Cube or upgrade my AV receiver - nothing will be cheap.

I seriously doubt a Black Cube Linear is worth buying for the K601. I don't think the K601 is detailed or fast enough to do that level of amplifier justice.

[edit]As for an amplifier around $250, Jazz9, I would strongly recommend you check out the sale/trade forums here. You'll be sure to find something of good value.

Nov 16, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #328 of 2,435
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazz9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey tdogzthmn I saw that like me you've been looking for an amp for your K601s, have you found something?
As for me, finding one that would fit my budget (<$250) seems really tough.
The K601 not being that popular I've been looking at what people recommend for the K701 but I don't think that's a good method because for one they don't sound exactly the same and the K601 is twice the impedance...

Honestly I have been very pleased with my NAD C325 as an amp. I get plenty of detail, and rarely have to turn the volume past halfway.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Nov 17, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #329 of 2,435
Hello folks! I am almost sure that the AKG K601s are the headphones I want, however I had some questions.

1) What all EXACTLY comes in the box? I.e. dock like the k701s. Pictures of the box would be much appreciated!

2) Would the Zero DAC and Headamp be sufficient in supplying 'juice' to these headphones?

Thanks a ton folks!

Nov 17, 2009 at 9:23 AM Post #330 of 2,435
Well the packaging is cheap, that's for sure.
The only "extra" you get is a 6.35 to 3.5 adaptor, nothing else.
And as for the Zero pairing, volume wise it's fine, I don't even listen above 9 o'clock (i don't use replaygain), but I can't say that it can drive them well because I have nothing else to compare it to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back