AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Jan 20, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #2,101 of 2,435

shabby? K612 is one of the most accurate HPs, comfortableness is the icing on the cake

Just being facetious...go easy.

Jan 20, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #2,102 of 2,435

Sorry I'm not used to describing sound as I'm a bit green with the terminology. Right now my sound goes straight to my o2 dac/amp where I plug my headphones in and is set as the default device. I can hear everything clearly but It's like there is a slight fuzziness as if sound source is too far away from my ears to make it clear. Maybe I'm not used to over ear headphones and they sound slightly different depending how close they are to the ear.

May be that's because you are new to open back headphones like 612 and I don't think it has to do anything with 612 being an over-ear option. you can get over-ear full sized closed back headphones which has same sound characteristics of your Bose on-ear headphone.  With open-back headphones you'll get more open airy presentation which sometimes can have leaner  characteristics compared to closed back headphones.  Have you also tried with the higher gain setting on your O2 ? because 612 can sometimes sound too leaner, if it's not properly amped.   

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #2,103 of 2,435
So I picked up the AKG K612 Pro today. Feels comfy and sounds good but the build quality is a bit disappointing. The pieces that look like metal on the pictures are actually cheap plastic. That really rustles my jimmies. Now, I'm also interested in the Beyerdynamic DT990... Should I order a pair and decide which one to return?

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #2,104 of 2,435
  So I picked up the AKG K612 Pro today. Feels comfy and sounds good but the build quality is a bit disappointing. The pieces that look like metal on the pictures are actually cheap plastic. That really rustles my jimmies. Now, I'm also interested in the Beyerdynamic DT990... Should I order a pair and decide which one to return?

Go for it. They have vastly different sound signatures so you'll get to see what suits you more. I'd also pick beyers build quality and comfort anyday, but k612 might sound better if you prefer a more natural sound.

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #2,105 of 2,435

Go for it. They have vastly different sound signatures so you'll get to see what suits you more. I'd also pick beyers build quality and comfort anyday, but k612 might sound better if you prefer a more natural sound.

I really like the sound of the K612 so far. Definitely a warmer sound than my old K500. I wouldnt say the K612 lacks bass which was the case for the K500. I used to tweak the EQ a bit to get the K500 to my liking.

Listening to Carnaval de Paris now by Dario G. The trumpets are a bit uncomfy tho at high volume :p

Jan 23, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #2,108 of 2,435
Listening to my K612 on my HD600 system which is a Keces amp, Maverick Audio DAC and a Samsung drive. Switched back and forth while listening to Colma by Buckethead and actually prefer the K612!

Jan 24, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #2,109 of 2,435
Nabbed a pair last month. Despite what quite a few people have said, my V1 Magni was NOT strong enough to drive them properly. I ended up having to use my old Sony receiver, but anything with bass distorted heavily. Other than that, they sounded fantastic, but I can't mix with distorted bass, lol. I was planning on buying a Matrix M-Stage to power them, but crap happened, so I just purchased something else that's easier to drive so I can continue working on music at the moment. I can't wait to hear their full potential when I finally get a M-Stage or other neutral amp to power them. =/

Jan 29, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #2,110 of 2,435
Im just using them on my PC through onboard audio and its fine. They sound fantastic. I decided to keep them. The only thing that annoys me is those clear plastic things that rub against the plastic in the adjustable headband.

Jan 29, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #2,111 of 2,435
Im just using them on my PC through onboard audio and its fine. They sound fantastic. I decided to keep them. The only thing that annoys me is those clear plastic things that rub against the plastic in the adjustable headband.

Nice to hear.
Yeah that annoys me too.
I think it will also be the first part that will break after some years like it was in my case.
But i really used them quite often.

Jan 29, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #2,112 of 2,435

+1 I feel the same way. Any slight movement and you get the harmonics of that plastic $hit ruining the moment!

Mar 3, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #2,114 of 2,435
I can't help but saying I was close. I really was. There's a deduction in the 1-3khz region for the K601, and a slight roll-off in the treble area without leaving any air. Leaving the K601's to be a warm headphone I assume?

Oh but what's this, a fast sub bass response similar to a balanced armature?

It's truly a shame, I really was close. I'm starting to tire of my AKG Q701's a tad bit because the 2khz spike is grainy, in the ER4S, that 2khz region is smooth and only adds to more enjoyment with female vocalists. I enjoy neutral, because I believe it's the music that should be musical, not my headphones. I also dislike Sennheisers because of their laid back treble. Ah well. Back to my search.

Mar 3, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #2,115 of 2,435
  I can't help but saying I was close. I really was. There's a deduction in the 1-3khz region for the K601, and a slight roll-off in the treble area without leaving any air. Leaving the K601's to be a warm headphone I assume?

Oh but what's this, a fast sub bass response similar to a balanced armature?

It's truly a shame, I really was close. I'm starting to tire of my AKG Q701's a tad bit because the 2khz spike is grainy, in the ER4S, that 2khz region is smooth and only adds to more enjoyment with female vocalists. I enjoy neutral, because I believe it's the music that should be musical, not my headphones. I also dislike Sennheisers because of their laid back treble. Ah well. Back to my search.

I'm assuming you were thinking about the k601 but are now doubting it?

I'd encourage you to try the k601 and use the pads from your Q701 on them. The k601 with stock pads is unremarkable (my opinion) but becomes a completely new headphone with the AKG angled pads. And you can make the treble stand out a bit more by removing the foam rings under the pads. This is how I run my k601 and it's my favorite dynamic headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back