AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Mar 3, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #1,096 of 2,435
Mikeaj, I already saw this image you've posted- but I didn't analyzed it well enough, I didn't realized the scale- now I've read difference between the two in decibels- in 100Hz it's like 7dB and that's really a great difference. Still- when I was doing comparisions I did normalized the volumes between two models. Well, to be shure everything's ok I think I should go and test them on a good amplifier somewhere. Thank you for replies!

Mar 3, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #1,097 of 2,435
Bass only goes down to 30Hz audibly on my headphone.  Is that about right?

Mar 4, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #1,099 of 2,435

The K612 needs an amplifier to sound it's best, otherwise it will sound bass light, the amplifier also needs to have good synergy with the headphone. The K612 is made in both Austria and China, it seems like at the same time. Mine is made in Austria, but others with a lower serial number are made in China. The box will tell you if it is made in Austria or not if the sticker isn't on the headphones.

Factory is disconnected from the serial number.
SN of mine is 360 - made in Austria.  

Mar 8, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #1,101 of 2,435
  can anyone compare akg k550 and k612 (detail and frequency response).

I can get them at almost equal price.

would prefer warmer or two with least treble glare.

Hard to compare such a different constructions - closed vs. open. 

Warmer and less treble glare = K550 for sure. I used them for just a couple of days, but I love them - one of the best closed back cans I ever used. But for me K612 are just superb in terms of clarity, dynamics, details ... 

Mar 12, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #1,103 of 2,435
So is the k612 better in detail/linearity/technicalities?

Construction aside, which one is more balanced? Both are said to have great soundstage and more or less neutral sound. K612 would probably benefit a lot from more bass down low, then again K550 has this treble spike. Can these cans compete in overall sound quality? Or are they in different leagues sonically?

K550 seem to have somehwat muted upper midrange, although I haven't seen reviewer complain about that...

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #1,104 of 2,435
Sorry newb here, just picked up a pair of k612 pro after beloved k141 studios (the old ones) died..again...got tired of resoldering! 

Can anyone recommend a DAC for them which is sort of cheapish (200 bucks), and is it even necessary? Have an ancient m-audio black box, and my mobo has a pretty good dac, but these cans just sound very brittle and treblish for my tastes.  Not pleasant and tiresome in the high end. Have yet to try with proper audio source (unpacked today and straight into pc and spotify), but can't help thinking I liked the sound (more mellow) of k141's more.  Bit cranky about the non-removable cable, but well the next step up was twice as expensive.  Mind you in Norway this was 300 bucks due to VAT/sales tax...

Any ideas on how to mellow out the sound? Or suggestions on how to get it usable for sic normal listening without highend tube preamps?

No doubt it is a very accurate set of cans...my problem being, maybe 'cough' TOO accurate...

thanks...

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #1,105 of 2,435
  Sorry newb here, just picked up a pair of k612 pro after beloved k141 studios (the old ones) died..again...got tired of resoldering! 
Can anyone recommend a DAC for them which is sort of cheapish (200 bucks), and is it even necessary? Have an ancient m-audio black box, and my mobo has a pretty good dac, but these cans just sound very brittle and treblish for my tastes.  Not pleasant and tiresome in the high end. Have yet to try with proper audio source (unpacked today and straight into pc and spotify), but can't help thinking I liked the sound (more mellow) of k141's more.  Bit cranky about the non-removable cable, but well the next step up was twice as expensive.  Mind you in Norway this was 300 bucks due to VAT/sales tax...

For use with a computer.
Asus Xonar DG or DGX sound card
Creative Sound Blaster Z sound card
Fiio E10 USB/DAC/Amp.

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #1,106 of 2,435
Listening through my ancient black box (m-audio) still extremely inefficient, still trebly as hell, still need to max volume...ditto through m-audio pc speaker output (older piece of **** av-30's which have miraculously come to life again after mucho problemos! stay the "#¤ away from m-audio!).

Wow my k141's were just so much better...this looks like a return....these are just trebly, thin and unpleasant...accurate yes, but needs a tube amp or something to mellow them out....so disappointed. Maybe it's just me that's used to muddy sound or mellower sound...

That's going to be a huge hassle (returning and getting refund) so suggestions on how to tune these cans appreciated...

My mobo (asus z9pe-de WS) dual xeon type already has a pretty decent DAC...REALTEK ALC 898 which supports 192 khz/24bit etc...and the old black box I know could put out pretty decent sound...so it's a question of toning down or mellowing the cans...

Back to soldering here...wow back in the day they could really make some cans!

Edit: after listening again...it could be me, think I just prefer the sound of semi-aural cans, not open ones..they're not too dissimilar, but the k612's lack the 'oomph' of my old 141's....not to mention volume on everything needs to be maxed...maybe I should have gone for closed cans.

Edit 2: after further listening...those old studio k141's are really amazing! Anyone with a spare pair? In good nick?

Edit 3: see why Neill Young and ors go on about hi-fi music...even listening to a cd here..pretty apparent...thru both cans..

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #1,107 of 2,435
Sounds to me that not only are you in need of a DAC... but you need a proper amp to drive these, as well...

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #1,108 of 2,435
Your source must be pretty weak since my Cowon J3 portable player can drive them loud enough (albeit at essentially max volume). I certainly don't find them too bright.

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #1,109 of 2,435
  Your source must be pretty weak since my Cowon J3 portable player can drive them loud enough (albeit at essentially max volume). I certainly don't find them too bright.

^I was thinking this, as well, since these perform quite well off just my Sony F887...

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #1,110 of 2,435
It could be me, or I could have not plugged them in properly, or they take some time to 'warm up'...but they are starting to sound warmer and better! Thank god! At the moment straight into pc...listening to spotify and youtube and various other things.  The old Black Box m-audio didn't help over compared with the mobo DAC. Still at this point 'at best' just barely better than gaming headsets, so we'll see...

However as regards previous posts...wow it must be inefficient! I tried directly through the pc, through m-audio piece of **** speakrs, and and through m-audio black box...still max volume is pretty piss weak (no don't normally listen to things at max...quite the opposite!).  So there is a lot of resistance one way or another. On the other hand it seems to be 'warming up'...What? Or is it just me warming up with a few brews? 

Thanks for the feedback! Looks like a long listening session here, albeit I (really should!) get up early for the forecasted powder dump and go skiing!

Tight lines etc all and thanks for the feedback!

Edit: have to play at max volume regardless...they must have huge resistance...anyway to check with a multimeter without wrecking it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back