AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Nov 23, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #603 of 2,435

Quote:
K601 now seems discontinued, it is no longer listed on AKG's site. Perhaps K550 is intended as its direct replacement...

Doubt it's discontinued, but maybe. K601 seems to get no love anywhere. I once tried to sell a pair for dirt cheap and it took 2 months to sell it. I could list a pair for $99 and nobody would buy it!
My K601 is here to stay. Hopefully K550 gets a US release. I haven't read up on it much yet. I don't even what it's sound signature is like yet!

K601 still gets my vote as being the #2 best gaming headphone there is (under $300!).

BTW I wonder if there is really proof of a variation between pairs? My first fair had this really weird lower treble peak and it was kind of fatiguing. The one I have is pretty neutral sounding or close to it. Totally non-fatiguing.

I think fans of the K601 would really love the Q701! It might be a better match for those that prefer the K601 over the K501.

Nov 23, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #604 of 2,435
That would really be a shame. They're great HPs, especially for classical (I'm starting to like them over my k501s; well, I was until I had no more sound coming from the left).
Also, I'm taking note of your advice, tdockweiler, but does the price difference is really justified? I mean, they're more than 3 times more expensive than the k601s over here..

Nov 23, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #606 of 2,435
Nov 24, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #607 of 2,435

Quote:
Doubt it's discontinued, but maybe. K601 seems to get no love anywhere. I once tried to sell a pair for dirt cheap and it took 2 months to sell it. I could list a pair for $99 and nobody would buy it!
My K601 is here to stay. Hopefully K550 gets a US release. I haven't read up on it much yet. I don't even what it's sound signature is like yet!

K601 still gets my vote as being the #2 best gaming headphone there is (under $300!).

BTW I wonder if there is really proof of a variation between pairs? My first fair had this really weird lower treble peak and it was kind of fatiguing. The one I have is pretty neutral sounding or close to it. Totally non-fatiguing.

I think fans of the K601 would really love the Q701! It might be a better match for those that prefer the K601 over the K501.

Oh no tdockweiler ~ the time has finally come, I mentioned this ages ago ~ it was a long time coming, only so long
 before AKG had to end the production run of this under rated can.

K701 also makes little sense now ~ K702 more or less the same headphone with detachable (read: snag proof
 cable) and the Quincy Jones gets all the big promo now.

Will definitely be adding a Quincy some time soon! 

Btw, did your rig change in between your early and later revisions of the K601?

Nov 25, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #608 of 2,435
If they're discontinued why do so many merchants (amazon, buy.com etc, full compass etc) still list them? 

Get mine today !!! Hope they're a good synergy with me, but I expect they will be. Grado 225's getting a head to head comparison with these.. fun! 

Nov 25, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #609 of 2,435

Quote:
If they're discontinued why do so many merchants (amazon, buy.com etc, full compass etc) still list them?

Get mine today !!! Hope they're a good synergy with me, but I expect they will be. Grado 225's getting a head to head comparison with these.. fun! 

Getting rid of stock that never found a home in the first place ~ expect discounts to appear, such a shame really 
frown.gif

Nov 25, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #610 of 2,435
It was never expensive to begin with. Why would one expect to be payed for a yee old used one today? It was always a friggin good buy and still is. Great can.

Nov 25, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #612 of 2,435

Quote:
It was never expensive to begin with. Why would one expect to be payed for a yee old used one today? It was always a friggin good buy and still is. Great can.

Your guess is as good as mine ~ we'll see what happens when they become rare on the ground. Will they join the K400 for value in the sub $100 range
or will they become like the K501 and start commanding $200-ish prices - who knows.

As for right now ~ I agree with tdockweiler ~ $120 sale price would probably take forever to sell.

They're a great buy but they need the gear to sound great ~ a soundcard is not the best way to appreciate them, unfortunately their
pricing always meant that they found themselves being used out of a $100 soundcard and assessed accordingly. Not the real picture.

Just enjoying my pair right now on a rainy Melbourne morning with James Horner's efforts on the Apollo 13 movie soundtrack.

Beautiful sound stage with the horn pipe 
smile.gif

Nov 25, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #613 of 2,435
I hardly have an ideal setup for these, but my 18V Ra1 clone seems to keep up pretty well . Very revealing, good impact from bass less lower frequency response than I'm used too except maybe Etymotic. Soundstage is really impressive, very comfortable. I'm probably stuck with these if I change my mind,but great exposure to AKG.

I think these need a tube amp or the like . Surprisingly they're one of the only headphones I've had that handle the 'bass boost' EQ on an iPod without getting muddy.

Gotta go listen again, initial impressions very positive,  only shortfall  for me is the lightish bass ( not a basshead by any means). Most of my collection is rock and variants of. Bass isn't being done justice, but the punch of the kickdrum is great. (attack?)  These hit very low, extension better than I was expecting but the quantity... I'm sure I'll adjust. 

Nov 27, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #614 of 2,435
I use the direct phono out of NAD amps. Works pretty good since NAD has good headphone amplification (relatively I guess). But what is the best way to drive them then?

Nov 27, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #615 of 2,435

Quote:
Your guess is as good as mine ~ we'll see what happens when they become rare on the ground. Will they join the K400 for value in the sub $100 range
or will they become like the K501 and start commanding $200-ish prices - who knows.

As for right now ~ I agree with tdockweiler ~ $120 sale price would probably take forever to sell.

They're a great buy but they need the gear to sound great ~ a soundcard is not the best way to appreciate them, unfortunately their
pricing always meant that they found themselves being used out of a $100 soundcard and assessed accordingly. Not the real picture.

Just enjoying my pair right now on a rainy Melbourne morning with James Horner's efforts on the Apollo 13 movie soundtrack.

Beautiful sound stage with the horn pipe 
smile.gif

Have to agree with you, the soundstage is amazing. That movie soundtrack is some good stuff :). Never going to sell these babys :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back