!!!
Buying only week ago, burning.

[size=xx-small]Sorry my bad english.[/size]
rolleyes.gif

Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet
wink.gif

Another current fan of the K601 here
smily_headphones1.gif
They are, to me, very versatile all-rounders and I much prefer them for this use than the K701s which I've owned twice before. I'm using K701 pads with mine. Hmm, I should trawl through this thread to see what good matching amps are. Noticed the S/N on mine, on the early side of the production run: 5451

Jun 10, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #274 of 2,435
I've recently got K701 pads and put them on. They're not much different to me really... they're just as comfortable, and didn't change anything in the sound I could really place my hand on. The colour is a little nicer if you ask me, but K702 pads are even darker I think, which might look even cooler if you got hold of them.

The bright side is that I can wash the K601 pads now
tongue.gif

Jun 10, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #275 of 2,435
Isn't the main difference between the pads that K701 pads are angled and K601's isn't? Theoretically, I believe this is supposed to create a wider, better soundstage... so did you guys indeed experience that?

Jun 10, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #276 of 2,435
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't the main difference between the pads that K701 pads are angled and K601's isn't? Theoretically, I believe this is supposed to create a wider, better soundstage... so did you guys indeed experience that?

Unfortunately, I don't have a frame of reference as I purchased these used with the K701 pads already. Maybe others can chime in. I do like the 'angled' feature in the pads though, they definitely help with placement as I prefer them to the back and down--which I think is the normal placement.

Jun 10, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #277 of 2,435
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

To be honest, I can't really tell any difference. Switching back and forth, I'm finding it difficult to pinpoint notable changes in the sound. I have worked out that I find the K701 pads a little more comfortable, which I didn't notice so much on first change.

However, something to note is that I ordered new foam inserts at the same time. They are listed as the same part number for both the K701 and K601 (plus I had to order them separately to the actually cushions) on the documents I believe, yet having changed the pads again I noticed something. The new foamies are definitely less dense, and holding them up to a light it's easier to see through the new ones. I'm guessing they had a design change along the way (my K601 is two years old now, and serial number 4795).
Anyway, these seem to change the sound more than simply swapping the pads. High end is appears slightly more prominent, but bass lacks very slightly too. The difference really isn't much, but rather than just swapping the pads, this seems noticeable to me. Of course, I could also be going off the hook... I've never been good at comparing subtle changes. I guess the best way is to try yourself... take off your K601 pads, hold the foamies up to light, and if they block a good portion of it they're probably the old ones. I have a 60W fluorescent ring light and I can make out there is light there with the old ones, though with the new ones I can actually see where the edge of the light is clearly. They're not expensive to buy... they cost me a whopping £0.28. I've also heard of people taking the foamies out completely to change the sound too, and with other headphones as well if they have them (a popular mod for the K81/K518).

Jun 11, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #278 of 2,435
New K601 owner here (SN: 14067). Could not be happier, absolutely hands down the best sounding headhones i have ever heard to my ears. I love them so much and this is coming from someone that went to canjam! They combine the best of the K501, K240, K701 and put it in a perfect sounding, really really nice looking and completely comfortable package.

Jun 13, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #280 of 2,435
Quote:

Originally Posted by kakari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any technical/technological differences (eg. flat-wire voice coil) between the k601 and k701? Or are they just using different modifications/versions of the same driver?

Kakari, given the differences cited by many who have heard both, I believe them to be quite different phones, despite the similarity of the Headroom frequency response graph.

First, for all the posts about how hard the 701s are to drive, I suspect that the 601s are at least as hard (if not harder) to amp properly. My MD-10 puts plenty of volume into my MS-1/ES7s (easily driven cans, granted) at '-25', but I have to increase the volume to '-15' ('0' is max on the MD-10) to get the same 'oomph' : much bigger enclosures, and more like mini-speakers than conventional cans. My integrated amp gives them a lot more body without needing to work hard. Both the amp and the cans need more hours on them, and the magical 200 hours should be up sometime Monday. I remain sceptical about a lot of the burn-in claims thrown around about AKG phones, but the bass response on the 601s definitely improved tenfold between day one and the 150 hour mark.

Like the 701, I am confident that the key to the 601 lies in matching them to the right source/amp combination : frustratingly simple, really.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #281 of 2,435
Just bought Hifidk's fairly unused K601s, and boy, I love these things!

The magic that these do with certain songs is incredible compared to my Beyers. Toumani Diabate sounds incredible, Flogging Molly sounds great, the Dubliners sound great, Michael Hedges's Ritual Dance almost made me clear my bowels with how amazing it sounded. The bass/treble impact that the DT770 Pro/250s had were much more lively for metal and heavier rock, but the K601s can hold their own when it comes to metal / rock even if they're not necessarily the best for it.

I must say that the K601s are far better suited for the Travagan's Red amp than my Beyers, although somewhat shrill highs were absolved with the Beyers upon my switch to the Red and I've been told that the K601s are supposed to be bright, but I haven't noticed anything as of yet!

A lot of people have been saying these are all-rounders, and I can see where they're coming from where this 'phone does amazing things when it comes to certain genres and really only sinks to the moderate level of "good" when it gets to a less suited genre. Not perfect by any means, but for the price, it's very impressive and versatile.

S/N: 14285

Jun 19, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #282 of 2,435
I bought my K601s used about a year ago, still my favorite headphones, I'd say they get as much as 5 hours a day of head time some days
smily_headphones1.gif

S/N 4551

Jun 19, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #283 of 2,435
Quote:

Originally Posted by Landis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must say that the K601s are far better suited for the Travagan's Red amp than my Beyers, although somewhat shrill highs were absolved with the Beyers upon my switch to the Red and I've been told that the K601s are supposed to be bright, but I haven't noticed anything as of yet!

The K601 aren't particularly revealing or bright in the scheme of things as I read, and as I hear. However, I do have some bright recordings and when you're using a source and amp like mine, they still do make bright material sound pretty bright. It's not usually ear splitting for me unless I play the music very loud though.

Aug 7, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #285 of 2,435
SN 17942 Just arrived yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back