AKG K550 - NEW!!
May 23, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #1,306 of 1,494
^ No such thing as this AKG "house signature" non-sense IMO.

The K601, Q701, Sextett, K400, K501 doesn't even sound anything alike or even similar.

I don't think the K550 sounds like the K702 at all. More bass perhaps, but it seems to sacrifice something else. Think it's the mids, which I don't like on them at all.

May 23, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #1,307 of 1,494
Quote:

I don't think the K550 sounds like the K702 at all. More bass perhaps, but it seems to sacrifice something else. Think it's the mids, which I don't like on them at all.

I actually think they sound pretty close to the Q701. Except more bass, and a little less soundstage and treble, while retaining the midrange. I'd take the K550's sound over the Q701 even if they had the same headphone body.

May 24, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #1,308 of 1,494
My experience with K550 is that it conclusively replaces my Beyer dt770 pro 250 Ohm, beyer t50p, akg k240m. 
The dt770 pro was my favourite for long time (and still is in certain respects) but the k550 bests it in the "openness" of the sound and its "friendliness" of its sound if I may call it so. I never heard a hi-end open head phone until I listened to the T1 and hd800, I really did not need to since I need a closed phone to not disturb the office environment where I work. But of course, also the T5p sounded very good to me but it is to expensive to me. Otherwise I would easily have chosen it.

With the K550 I seem to get the best of two worlds. An "open feeling" of the sound, a really good and deep base, a comfortable and stylish head phone and a good isolation to the enviroment. The only soft minus seems to be the "micro"-resolution compared to the dt770 where it is not "the best" I feel. Though, the differences are minute here, I think. But still, I have compared k550 with t70, t70p, T1, T5p and hd800. Conclusion, I feel we reach the point of diminishing returns here. More cash, less results.

Perhaps the T8o and T90 has something to say, it will surely be interesting to check out.

May 25, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #1,309 of 1,494
I just received my second pair of K550s. Not that I need two, but I was thinking about keeping a set at work instead of dragging them back and forth to and from work and causing them extra damage.

For those who don't believe in break-in, try getting two pairs of phones a month after the other and A/B-ing the two. It's not a VASTLY different experience, but it's a vastly different experience. :) The new pair is very noticeably brighter in the treble, and more recessed distant in the mids. Bass extension is about the same, but a lot fuller in the broken in pair giving an overall warmer sound.

May 25, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #1,310 of 1,494
Did you explain that as your reasoning to your wife or gf? 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
I just received my second pair of K550s. Not that I need two, but I was thinking about keeping a set at work instead of dragging them back and forth to and from work and causing them extra damage.

May 26, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #1,312 of 1,494
I'm using an E7 and where I hear an overall improvement in the sound from the iPhone will the E17 get me a significant upgrade? With the phone alone the base is thin and the treble can be piercing at times. The E7 mellows out the entire experience. Extends the bass but not as much as much as pushing on the cups with my hands.

I can't agree more about the clamping and the large cup size being more of a detriment than the comfort it offers.

May 26, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #1,314 of 1,494
Quote:

For those who don't believe in break-in, try getting two pairs of phones a month after the other and A/B-ing the two. It's not a VASTLY different experience, but it's a vastly different experience. :) The new pair is very noticeably brighter in the treble, and more recessed distant in the mids. Bass extension is about the same, but a lot fuller in the broken in pair giving an overall warmer sound.

How do you know that it is not the pads that have broken in i.e. they have gotten a bit softer and the drivers have moved closer to your ears? Maybe you could swap pads and see if the difference is still present.

May 26, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #1,315 of 1,494
Quote:

Quote:
Listening to the K550 now.  They definitely have some upper midrange issues.  I'd call it glare.  But everything else is pretty good. 

Wow didn't see this thread until now.. I have had the 550's for 2 weeks now and am disappointed with them. rythmdevils you have hit the nail on the head for me.. glare... Id actually say its "in your face glare"

Im burning them in at the moment with around 150 hours and to me still no change

May 26, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #1,316 of 1,494
I finally got to try them out today and yeah, there's definitely some upper midrange problems, but I liked them a lot more than the A900X and ESW9 in the same booth. Granted, I only got to try them out of the BB box and my phone, which probably didn't do the headphones justice, but I at least heard the basic gist of the sound. If they were smaller, I'd probably have considered them, but since their cups aren't exactly small, and were kind of finicky with fit (maybe my head is shaped weirdly? I needed to hold them up to my ears so they didn't sound anemic), they'd be kind of redundant for me since they actually didn't sound more than 10% better than my Fostex T50RP, which is tuned to about the same sound sig as the K550 by chance.

May 26, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #1,317 of 1,494
Yeah it might be described as an etched glare.  It's not that sharp though, and doesn't seem to hurt much- it's rather broad or well controlled.  It's not piercing.  But any instrument in that range not only sticks out, but worse, takes on a distinct plastic tonality which ruins the tonality of the instrument.  It's a pretty classic resonance artifact sound.  It keeps making me think of super cheap headphones.  In fact I might describe the K550 as the best airline headphone ever. 

Like a super charged one of these.  Much better, but held back by the same DNA

I thought it sounded like the sound bouncing off of an undamped plastic enclosure.  I opened the cups, and indeed, behind the driver is an empty plastic cup.  Which explains at least part of this glare.  I'm going to see what happens when I damp the cups.  Problem is that they are already on the bass-lite side, and damping usually reduces/absorbs bass.  So there may not be much that can be done. 

But they do have strenghts.  Pretty good tonality other than the glare.  Mids are pretty good when they don't hit the glare spot.  Natural richness as well as air.  FR is even other than the upper mids spot, but I'd say it has an upward slant giving them the "clarity FR".  No real treble emphasis.  Which is surprising to me.  soundstage is good but not great by any means.

I've got more first impressions typed up but I suppose I'll wait and listen to them again before posting...  :wink:

May 27, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #1,318 of 1,494
I agree this is something that exists, but as you said the phenomenon is overall quite smooth and not too biting or fatiguing. Something I can get used to and gladly will, since they are otherwise musically very engaging. In other words, hit the notes and have no problems distinguishing differences in phrasing/timing etc. 

May 27, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #1,319 of 1,494
IMHO they can best be described by the following car

May 27, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #1,320 of 1,494
I agree with rhythmdevils, I had a short listen to them and they sounded a bit tinny and thin.  Typical sound of underdamped plasticy enclosed backs.  Their clarity was quite good but they had timbre and damping issues to me that seem to be centered in the upper-mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back