AKG K550 - NEW!!
Nov 28, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #601 of 1,494

Quote:

I can't agree with that, What's the purpose of releasing headphones when you already have acclamed ones? Just to get something new? Refreshing the lines?

Yes. That's exactly the purpose. Sitting on your laurels only leads to stagnation instead of innovation. Take Stax for example. They could have simply stopped with the Omega II, but instead they went on to release the SR-009. 

Most of people will buy one expensive headphone and keep it for years, it's not the smartphone market;

Actually, most people don't buy expensive headphones. We're in the minority as audiophiles. Headphones like the K1000 can now only be purchased well used, or occasionally N.O.S. in rare instances. The market for them is strictly used, and as such a) they become increasingly rare, b) prices get inflated due to that rarity, and c) eventually issues like driver failure leads to even more scarcity and wasted money. Don't believe me? It's been happening with the Sony R10. A truly beautiful headphone that is arguably a work of art, extremely expensive and difficult to come by, and when someone DOES buy one they risk ending up with a $5,000 paperweight once the drivers fail. Companies may not always support their older products, and even something as straight forward as replacing a headband assembly can become an impossibility due to parts no longer being supplied.

so as long as they keep the same quality sound and build on their current highend headphones, I do not get why they should work on new ones every year / two years.

Even some devoted AKG fans I know don't think the K701 is a step up from their previous offerings. It certainly can't hold a candle to a proper flagship like the K1000. By releasing a new flagship on par with the K1000, all of those issues associated with the used collector's market outlined above can be addressed.

Besides, having new high-end products on the market helps foster competition. I for one like having new headphones on the market to try, too. Right now AKG is one of the only "big names" in our hobby that HASN'T released a new flagship. With the Quincy Jones lines, their business strategy is obviously shifting toward targeting more of an average consumer base instead of audiophiles.

And for the K550 case, there must be a reason why it's that much delayed, I prefer having delayed headphones that comes with quality than rushed headphones which comes with defaults.

If AKG is using these delays to make the K550 as good as it can be, then great. I have a feeling it has more to do with business and corporate decisions, myself. Who knows? The point is AKG could stand to communicate to their consumer base more clearly. There have been no real announcements or dates given for quite some time.

Nov 28, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #602 of 1,494
I don't much care for statement products. While innovation is always nice, it looks simple from a business standpoint as to why they're after the 'beats'/mid-fi market. Much more money being an iphone accessory/fashion statement.

If I hadn't fallen in nerd-love with the K701s, I doubt i'd have much of an opinion on AKG at all.
If they can break into the Sennheiser market too (good rep, always comfy) then so be it. Rebranding and flooding the lowend seems to work well enough for them.

Also, some ****ty release date news:
http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/AKG-K550-ClosedBack-Reference-Class-Headphones#xml&utm_source=myshopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Headphones&utm_term=AKG+K550+Closed+Back+Reference+Headphones+Stock+due+Mid+DEC

"mid december".
I optimistically hope it is inaccurate.

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #603 of 1,494

Quote:
I don't much care for statement products. While innovation is always nice, it looks simple from a business standpoint as to why they're after the 'beats'/mid-fi market. Much more money being an iphone accessory/fashion statement.

That's understandable. However often times those statement products have technology that eventually ends up in more reasonably priced gear. As you say, innovation is nice. When a company is putting funding into R&D instead of marketing and celebrity endorsements, that's good for us audiophiles. Or not good [for our wallets] depending on how you look at it.

Nov 28, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #604 of 1,494

Quote:

..... What's the purpose of releasing headphones when you already have acclamed ones? Just to get something new? Refreshing the lines? Most of people will buy one expensive headphone and keep it for years.....

Well I only became hooked on headphones 2/3 years ago, so I haven't been able to see much of what akg has offered AT ALL. I recently come across some very experienced headfiers that didn't even know what akg's current highest end closed headphone was! They mentioned a model extinct years ago.
I mean it illustrates a point- when people talk about akg, they talk about the past a lot lot more than with the other brands. Beyerdynamic, ultrasone, sennheiser and even grado all try to make sure they don't leave people looking towards yesterday, unlike akg. These guys release enough new models to leave headfi customers not reflecting on stuff they released years ago.
Well when I say 'these guys,' this was the crowd that akg mixed with a few years ago. I can't think of more than two models that cut the mustard (k27x and the k70x). And browing through akg's 'discontinued' vs 'current' list only can lead me to think that these guys seem focussed on seeing to the 'who can release the fanciest tat' market, where now they're in the running with bose, beats, skullcandy, b&w.

Their £1000 iem's are a farce on the face of it. Obviously I can't say for sure as I haven't heard them, and I haven't read one proper review on them yet BUT would this be the best IEM? Anything unique about it except the price??
I mean ultrasone can get away with charging £1300 for the ed8's as they are rather unique- Adding everything up the best sounding closed headphone i've heard (not by a big margin though, and oddly enough not my most favourite sound) in an intensly unique ULTRA ULTRA isolating and nicely slimline/lightweight form.

1k iem's- and I can't see in the horizon an immediate price drop to < £700- as john lewis (very well known british department store) sells them online. Their products don't really drop greatly in price !!  

Nov 29, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #605 of 1,494
It's November 30th on this side of the world. It will be nice if they are in stores today.

Nov 29, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #606 of 1,494
Nov 30, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #607 of 1,494
Hello guys
I'm looking for a nice pair of headphones, and that is also why I discovered this forum.
I don't know much about this stuff.. I've read some guides and such to find out what fits my needs, but I would like some help.
I've been looking at some different types but found out that this K550 realesed today and it looks amazing and I'm of the opinion that it sounds even better. I also like the idea about mixing the open and closed styles.
My budget is around 200 USD and the phones are for all-round use.. I would like to use them at home but also on the move..
I fell in love with this one, but I would like some advices from you experts or interested fellowss :)

Nov 30, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #608 of 1,494
Agh, I think I'm gonna go for them whenever they get released

Nov 30, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #609 of 1,494
Nov 30, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #610 of 1,494

Quote:
That's a pretty positive review. He says the AT ES10s have been "beaten".

I'd say that the ES10 is still victorious due to one very important factor: you can actually buy one. Har har. 
rolleyes.gif

Hopefully we'll get to hear these sooner rather than later.

Dec 1, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #611 of 1,494

Quote:

I'd say that the ES10 is still victorious due to one very important factor: you can actually buy one. Har har. 
rolleyes.gif

Hopefully we'll get to hear these sooner rather than later.

I'm starting to wonder if the K550 will become AKG vapor ware. They should have at the very least put a few limited number out on the shelves to try and get some excitement going amongst the AKG faithful. With marketing like this it's no wonder Monster and SkullCandy have dominant market share amongst the headphone masses.

Dec 1, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #612 of 1,494

Quote:
I'm starting to wonder if the K550 will become AKG vapor ware. They should have at the very least put a few limited number out on the shelves to try and get some excitement going amongst the AKG faithful. With marketing like this it's no wonder Monster and SkullCandy have dominant market share amongst the headphone masses.

Word out here in Australia from the supplier is that it will be launched in early 2012 for us ~ I guess that means stocks are limited and you guys should get them first.

Dec 1, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #613 of 1,494

Quote:
Word out here in Australia from the supplier is that it will be launched in early 2012 for us ~ I guess that means stocks are limited and you guys should get them first.

I doubt it I'm in Canada we're usually behind when it comes to release dates but I have noticed they're available for pre order on headphone bar which is a Canadian site. Who knows we might get lucky.

Dec 1, 2011 at 4:58 AM Post #614 of 1,494

Quote:
I doubt it I'm in Canada we're usually behind when it comes to release dates but I have noticed they're available for pre order on headphone bar which is a Canadian site. Who knows we might get lucky.

I've heard of Headphone Bar ~ that's like the 'Big Moose No #1' of Canadian headphone suppliers! 
smile.gif

Dec 1, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #615 of 1,494

Quote:
I've heard of Headphone Bar ~ that's like the 'Big Moose No #1' of Canadian headphone suppliers! 
smile.gif

I wouldn't call them the big moose more along the lines of the head online beaver. The big moose would be this one store in Toronto called Bay Bloor Radio. Never been there but supposedly they have nice stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back