AKG K550 - NEW!!
Jun 1, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #1,396 of 1,494
LOL!

(which is why I mentioned on your thread that now I want to try them just to reach my own conclusions... )

Jun 1, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #1,397 of 1,494
Quote:

What on earth are you talking about?  Maybe you should go tab some basslines with electropoop. 

Clearly you had no idea what you were doing with the T50rp and learned nothing.  You seem to have no understanding of acoustics and yet you think you have it all figured out.  Ignorance + arrogance is a dangerous combination. 

I have actually OPENED the K550. 

Like arrogance towards accurate 'music' reproduction? 
wink.gif
 I believe I can add ignorance on your list as well since you quite possibly don't have musical education either...

Comes as it goes. Anyway, I liked your other thread about the modifications on this headphone. Interested to see results. I don't think I have what it takes to open a headphone and make repeatable modifications. If I see measurements for which you have a post reserved, and it shows decrease of this 'ringing' phenomenon, I would indeed like to try. As I've said, I've very little interest in the absolute tonality. Treble quality is good with these regardless: at least differences in phrasing and timing as well as dynamics of jazz drummers' cymbal work is well distinguished. Not the best I've heard, but something with which I can live. If I can see it even more under control, it wouldn't hurt. 

Jun 1, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #1,398 of 1,494
Quote:

BTW, resonances introduced by the headphone housing does NOT "match as much as possible the sequence of sounds that the producer records." 

I don't disagree. Reverberation happens all the time with headphones. This is not resonance. Let me say that again. This is not resonance . When can you hear resonance? I haven't been able to really find a true answer.
That's all that i'm saying here. Instead of looking for resonances and only dealing with dampened headphones i was honest to my ear and found many of the '''''resonating'''' (note the inverted commas) headphones in many occasions to produce a much more natural, true to the recording, sound when compared to the heavily dampened headphones (recall the example of the spoon and the sink).

I hope this is my last word on resonance- I believe this whole resonance thingy in the light of headphones is severly under reasearched. Someone/some group would need to go deep into the mathematical physics (I could see a ton of complex versions of fourier analysis being involved) to find out what is happening. Maybe it's been done- I haven't seen it.  

And you know whether or not it's the headphone or the recording because as a discerning listener, you should have some benchmark recordings that you know inside and out. And also it's a good idea to have a reference. I know in RD's case, he has a pair of Mackies as reference. 

Comparing to other headphones isn't a good idea. It's not an idea. It's a duty. Without a-b tests reviews for me are limited in substance. Maybe useful in other ways, but without a-b, 'unreliant on memory' tests then a review most often is easily misleading. I actually am a bit addicted to it to tell the truth. Sometimes I pick a random track and see how it sounds out of all the headphones i've got in my room and the one holding the flag for the dampened headphones at the moment is the ed8.
Comparing all headphones at once like this, for me, is the main way I make judgements about how good a headphone is.
But if you're talking about strict at the top of the chain references- that comes from nothing electronic. Just live music. Simple.

''Wow, just wow. This thread and some of these comments are stooping pretty low...''

What- low as in the stuff you find in beats bashing threads where everyone gangs up on someone who likes one of them dre beats thingys?

These past few pages isn't like one of them threads. I can only speak for my self and can honestly say that I've taken extra effort to stay far away from personal attacks. If someone attacks you personally here and you ignore it- by this very action you win, they loose. That's how I see it anyway.  

Jun 1, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #1,400 of 1,494
Quote:

''Wow, just wow. This thread and some of these comments are stooping pretty low...''

What- low as in the stuff you find in beats bashing threads where everyone gangs up on someone who likes one of them dre beats thingys?

These past few pages isn't like one of them threads. I can only speak for my self and can honestly say that I've taken extra effort to stay far away from personal attacks. If someone attacks you personally here and you ignore it- by this very action you win, they loose. That's how I see it anyway.  

I just find there is too much unnecessary bantering. I mean, really? Since when did that become an effective way to communicate? It's headphones for goodness sake.

Jun 2, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #1,402 of 1,494
Quote:
Anyone tried to sleep with K550 on, already? Can any of you, owners, tell me if this headphone is really confortable to sleep with, please?
Thank you for the info!

Oh no you didn't... Kind of interested now.

Seriously though, the cups are a bit too big and unless you have a really fluffy pillow and stay pretty still without any y-axel rocking, I'd say no.

Jun 2, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #1,403 of 1,494
Quote:
Has anyone found an effective way to permanently increase clamping force on these guys? That would make me a very happy owner. :)

biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #1,406 of 1,494
Quote:

Cantscareme, you don't understand what resonance is.  The ED8 is one of the worst headphones as far as resonance goes.  Pretty much everything you've said in the past 3 posts is wrong, but I don't have the time or energy to reply to it all anymore. 

Jun 2, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #1,407 of 1,494
lol, as i thought, you can just make it up as you go along. If you understand it, literally all the closed headphones released on todays global market are severly crap. Only the m50's (maybe another one or two) and headphones after your mod are good.

It's amazing your approach though. If you can hear a headphones sound bad purely by looking at the back of the inside of the cups, well, I give up.

unsubsribed.

Jun 2, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #1,408 of 1,494
Quote:
I searched his profile as well......... (AND ALL THE REST)

You guys are ACTUALLY serious that the K550s are that good??? I mean comparing them with the D7k.. a headphone deemed high end?? I mean, i was kinda thrown off the D7k mostly cos of 2 reasons: I am more into open cans (K701 is my primary), and the price for what it really offers. I had a 15 min listen and I was kinda disappointed.. its not even worth comparing it to my cans. But If the K550s beat them in openness (which is a big deal for me), and are much cheaper... I might consider them. Needless to say, Im a huge AKG fan. (though im looking to try AT as well)

Jun 2, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #1,409 of 1,494
After reading all this I think I'll pull the trigger on the Denon AH-D5000... They seem like "fun" headphones that could match my set-up pretty well.

My set-up is a little bit on the bright side: Nuforce ICON HDP DAC feeding a Little Dot MK IV SE with Voskhod 6J1P-EV (I love the hights of these tubes). The Denon AH-D5000 seems to provide nice intense bass with good mids and good highs. I think that a bass heavy headphone would complement my already "a little bit bright" set-up.

My HD650s would be for vocals, jazz, classical... And the Denon would probably be for all this but also for rock since they seem faster than the HD650s.

I'm going for the D5000 because I'm reading they have better mids than the V shape spectrum of the D7000... and of course the $ difference is of importance to me.

Yep... that's what I'll do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back