AKG k518, weSC Oboe or MAYBE something else
Aug 3, 2011 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

NER0

New Head-Fier
  I want a nice pair of headphones. the key elements I'm looking for are:
- Style
- Clarity, and sound.
- Good Bass.
 I want to spend under 75 dollars (CAD). Might spend 100 (CAD) if I'm really interested in them.

I really like the AKG k518 and the weSC Oboe. So if anyone has used one of those, please tell me what you think.
I'm going to be using the headphones a lot, so I don't want big huge bulky headphones.
Music I'm into:
Genres:
-DnB
-Dubstep
-Trance
-Electro
-Rap
Artists:
-Lots of Nero
-Skrillex
-DJ Fresh
-Bar 9
-Deadmau5
-BBRs
-Lupe Fiasco
-Talib Kweli

Please tell me what you think I should buy. Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 3, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #2 of 17
Excuse me while I look...up..... wesc oboe.....

Is this a joke?

Most DJ cans sold with Style sound horrible and won't give you any bass at all

Take for example, Koss DJ100. Low bass and sound like a grado

Go for like a Sony XB series. Good bass and doesn't need a amp to run. Good for you electronic and look kinda good. The pads are quite big though. as you get lower into the line like XB500, the pads get smaller

Go for the XB700

Aug 3, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 17
The AKG K518 has a good bass, and overall SQ is not so bad, but it's really uncomfortable.

I've never tried any Wesc headphone, can't comment on that.

Also, check the Audio Technica SJ55. They look nice and according to headfonia.com, they have a good sound.

Aug 3, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #4 of 17
Ive used the Sony xb500 before in store, their great sound quality, except I need a set that are small enough, so I can take the around with me. I don't want to give up portability for a little more sound quality. I've never tested the weSC Oboe before, that's why I asked. What do you think of the akg headphone I listed?
Thanks for the input.
And also, I'm not a dj.
Thanks again!

Aug 3, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #5 of 17

Quote:
Excuse me while I look...up..... wesc oboe.....

Is this a joke?

Most DJ cans sold with Style sound horrible and won't give you any bass at all

Take for example, Koss DJ100. Low bass and sound like a grado

Go for like a Sony XB series. Good bass and doesn't need a amp to run. Good for you electronic and look kinda good. The pads are quite big though. as you get lower into the line like XB500, the pads get smaller

Go for the XB700

this

Aug 3, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 17

1. flavouz

Thank you so much! (Thanks to you) I've looked up some reviews on the Audio Technica SJ55 and I think I'm going to go with that. They look great, they seem comfy, and they have good sq and clarity. Thankss!

Aug 4, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #7 of 17
Cool, post some impressions if you get them. I'm thinking in getting one myself after reading the review on headfonia.

Quote:
Thank you so much! (Thanks to you) I've looked up some reviews on the Audio Technica SJ55 and I think I'm going to go with that. They look great, they seem comfy, and they have good sq and clarity. Thankss!

Aug 5, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #9 of 17
Oh sorry to hear. But are you usually careful or not really?

I tend to break my portable headphones quite easily (I'm a bit clumsy), this is why I was thinking in getting these.. at least they are cheap.

Anyway, I think I'll risk and get them this weekend. Any impressions regarding its sound?

And as for your recommendation, try the AKG then. They are quite sturdy, and if you don't mind the clamping force and the long cable, maybe it's what you're looking for.

Quote:
some reviews came up for those, and it turns out the break easily. thanks anyways :) any other suggestions? Anyone??

Aug 5, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #10 of 17
try the XB700's, they would be right up your ally.

Aug 5, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #11 of 17
As someone who owned the k518(well k81dj), I can tell you the ath-sj55 are the better headphone in terms of sound quality (clarity & sound) and *especially* comfort.
So if both were priced equally wherever you're from, I'd buy the sj55.

The k518 have more bass, but the sj55's bass is more controlled (it's punchy and fast, great for techno/trance). They're not as good as my HD-25-1-II, but I prefer them to the es7,es55 I had in the past. Actually, I find myself reaching for these more than the Senns because they fold flat. I might add they isolate decently (something I noticed in the AC Gears store when I was trying them out). That was another major factor in the purchase decision.

They also look pretty slick in black (like a baby m50)... I don't know where you read about durability issues. Maybe I'd believe it for something cheap like a FC700C, but the sj55 are well built with plastic/aluminum driver housing. Give em a shot, I even ended up liking them better than my old sub $100 portable standard, the px200-II.

Quote:
Oh sorry to hear. But are you usually careful or not really?

I tend to break my portable headphones quite easily (I'm a bit clumsy), this is why I was thinking in getting these.. at least they are cheap.

Anyway, I think I'll risk and get them this weekend. Any impressions regarding its sound?

And as for your recommendation, try the AKG then. They are quite sturdy, and if you don't mind the clamping force and the long cable, maybe it's what you're looking for.

Aug 5, 2011 at 7:09 AM Post #12 of 17
Thanks for the impressions. I mentioned the durability because the OP got it and it broke in a really short time.

But after your quick review, I'm convinced to get it. I have the ES7, and I really like the sound, but it's a pity they are so uncomfortable.

As for the looks, I think I will go with the white version. I guess I had too many black headphones... the white models really get my attention
biggrin.gif

Quote:
As someone who owned the k518(well k81dj), I can tell you the ath-sj55 are the better headphone in terms of sound quality (clarity & sound) and *especially* comfort.
So if both were priced equally wherever you're from, I'd buy the sj55.

The k518 have more bass, but the sj55's bass is more controlled (it's punchy and fast, great for techno/trance). They're not as good as my HD-25-1-II, but I prefer them to the es7,es55 I had in the past. Actually, I find myself reaching for these more than the Senns because they fold flat. I might add they isolate decently (something I noticed in the AC Gears store when I was trying them out). That was another major factor in the purchase decision.

They also look pretty slick in black (like a baby m50)... I don't know where you read about durability issues. Maybe I'd believe it for something cheap like a FC700C, but the sj55 are well built with plastic/aluminum driver housing. Give em a shot, I even ended up liking them better than my old sub $100 portable standard, the px200-II.

Aug 5, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #13 of 17
I guess the Wesc part of this thread''s been sorted out, but just for further clarification:

They're a completely style-based headphone.  How style-oriented?  I tried them out at Urban Outfitters.
(and they sounded like pure crap)

Aug 29, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
Im in love with the Shure SRH240 right now, and its price. Anyone know a thing or two about them?

They're pretty good cans, but they're reasonably flat in terms of frequency response with a very slight bass emphasis. I would splash the extra cash and get the 440's if you were set on Shure. They have a little more bass Ooomph and are foldeable making them easy to transport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back